Time slows as you speed up right, so ?

• Thread starter phillybaby
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Speed Time
In summary, the conversation discusses time dilation, the concept that time moves at different rates for objects in motion relative to each other. It is pointed out that time dilation has been proven and that there is no universal concept of "fast". The discussion also touches on the expansion of the universe and the misconception of a center of the universe. It is mentioned that as galaxies are moving away from each other, it can create time dilation between them. The conversation ends with the question of whether a light particle experiences time at all.
phillybaby
Time slows as you speed up right, so... ?

Hi everyone, a new guy here with a question.:smile:

Having watched a few programs and learned a few things since i left school i have this question burning away in my little brain.[b(]
So I've found this forum, gone for the biggest section, and if I'm in the wrong section, mods, please move this.

Here goes.

If it has been proved that astronauts whilst wizzing about in orbit slow down a little, a second for that cosmonaut or something... so, that's only doing what 120k? what about the Earth in the Universe, i heard the figure in a program but forgot it.
This means since the big bang we've experienced time slower than something at the center of the Universe staying static, therefore our galaxy isn't as old as the center.. however the outer galaxies are going even faster ( because they are moving away from us ) so they must be going even slower, but as they were "born" first they might be the same age as us or younger!.. but then at the center things are running at the "true" time so could even be more evolved than us.

i've heard programs talking about time slowing down as you go faster, I've heard galaxies all moving away from us
i've heard we are going fast ourselves
but I've never heard of a link between all this that puts forwards these theories

Take it away guys. Thanks for listening to my mad ramblings.

Physics news on Phys.org
welcome!
(1) Time Dilation is proven (it's been directly measured)
(2) Yes, an observer in a different inertial reference frame than the Earth would measure Earth's clocks to be ticking at a slightly different rate than their own. But that observer and an Earth observer would see their own clocks proceeding "normally".
(3) There is no center of the universe. The Big Bang was an expansion of ALL space, not an outward explosion of stuff into the void.
(4) Galaxies appear to be moving by their own proper motion (e.g., gravitational interaction with other galaxies) and by the expansion of space (i.e., moving apart from each other but the creation of new intermediate space, not by a proper velocity of its own). The Time Dilation would result from the differences in proper motion through space.

Perhaps someone else can explain how the intergalactic timescales interplay (it's a bit confusing and I'm short on time :wink:), but they don't exceed the upper bound (age of the universe = 13.7 billion years).

1 yep :) that's where i started from.

2 makes you wonder if a species on another planet hardly moving/wizzing around at a stupid rate experiancing a different time rate actualy views it the same as us.
or for that matter, if the pigeon can see the world at a faster pace than us,( movies at 25 fps appear as a slow flicker to it ) does it's short life "feel" as long as our does, likewise for a tortoise going at such a slow rate, does it infact feel it's buzzing along quite happily and dosn't feel like it's had 100+ years. ( my twist on a theory on percived time depending on if your bored or having a good time )

3 a bomb goes off, of course there's a center, everything is moving away from everything else, so there has to be a center. at that point i would guess time is at it's true value as that point won't be moving.

4, yep, they are all moving away. let's imagine 3 cars, the rear is doing 20mph, the middle is moving away at 10mph, so it must be doing 30, the front one is also moving away at 10mph from the middle so it's doing 40mph.This is related to the center from above which is not moving.
if this is how the galaxys are moving, after all the material moving fastest in an explosion is at the outside, then the other galaxys must experience time at a slower rate than ourselves, the galaxys on the inside a faster time rate.
If i get what your saying each galaxy is moving at the same rate? the space inbetween them is just expanding. Could still have lots more time dialations tho, as we rotate on the earth, one sides faster than the other, as we orbit the sun, same thing, as Milkyway rotates, xbillion years we're going fast, next xbillion we're on the back stroke and going slower.

Finialy "age of the universe = 13.7 billion years"
thats in our time scale, like it or not we are moving, therefore we are slower in time, so how old is the universe really? not just our local bit of universe that we share the same time scale with ;)

heres another ditty, if your a light particle do you experience time at all?

Time does not slow down when you go fast. That is one of the most common misconceptions about relativity. There is no universal concept of "fast." It is properly said:

"When two observers are in relative motion, each will determine the other's clock is running slowly compared to their own."

Also, Phobos is correct -- there is no center of the universe. It's not like a bomb. Re-read what Phobos said.

- Warren

ok, our clock is running slower than galaxies moving faster than us, and vice versa.??

so the Universe is a ring shape? if everything is moving away from everything else it's expanding outwards. if you play back this in reverse everything will come together again in one place, ok no Universe, no time and space, but just after the BB there is a time and space, that position is center to me and probably static...ish

please understand I'm not some science graduate, i just have all these little theories running around in my head that make sense to me until someone gives my theories some new infomation that changes the settings my minds imagination can use. as far as I'm concerned there must be a theoretical center which is the place everything came from.

big thumbs up to the RI Chrimbo lectures btw :)

1. How does time dilation occur as you approach the speed of light?

According to Einstein's theory of relativity, time dilation occurs as an object's speed increases because of the relationship between space and time. As an object travels at higher speeds, it experiences space contraction, causing time to appear to slow down for that object.

2. Is time dilation only observed when approaching the speed of light?

No, time dilation can also occur at lower speeds, but the effect is not as noticeable. For example, astronauts on the International Space Station experience time dilation due to their high orbital speed, but the difference in time is only about 0.007 seconds per year.

3. Can time dilation only be observed in space or can it happen on Earth?

Time dilation can occur anywhere, as it is a fundamental property of space and time. However, it is only noticeable at extreme speeds, such as those reached in space travel or particle accelerators. On Earth, the effects of time dilation are too small to be observed.

4. Does time dilation affect all objects equally?

Yes, time dilation affects all objects equally, regardless of their size or mass. However, the amount of time dilation experienced by an object is dependent on its speed relative to an observer. The faster the object moves, the more time dilation it will experience.

5. Can time dilation be reversed?

Yes, time dilation can be reversed by slowing down or stopping the object's speed. This is why time dilation is often referred to as a "relativity" effect, as it is relative to the observer's perspective. Once the object returns to its original speed or stops moving, time will return to normal.