Permanent Magnets: Electromagnetic Wave Propagation?

In summary, there is no electromagnetic wave propagation associated with a permanent magnet since the frequency of the wave is zero. The magnetic field generated by a permanent magnet is static and unchanging, only producing a wave when the field is changed. Some sources state that shields are only necessary in the presence of alternating fields, but simulations show that a layer of nickel can shield the magnetostatic field of a permanent magnet.
miloko
Hi all,
I have this simple question that I never really understood. A permanent magnet generates a magnetic field around itself. Is there an electromagnetic wave propagation associated with this permanent magnet? If so, what is the frequency of the wave?

Thanks,
Mike

Physics news on Phys.org
Under current knowlege, the frequency is zero(it does not alternate with a permanent magnet) but the propagation of the magnetic field is at the speed of light.

The field is static and unchanging (magnetostatic) if the magnet is not moved. If you begin shaking it, then the field undergoes an oscillation with the frequency of the shaking.

- Warren

In other words, a "wave" occurs when the field changes. A regular change in a magnetic field causes a regularly changing electric field which produces a regularly changing magnetic field which produces ... (that's why the waves are called electromagnetic waves). With a permanent magnet, there is no changing field and so no wave.

Hi all,

In one of the books I'm reading, it says that shields are only used in the presence of alternating fields. However, in some websites, I see people using magnetic shields for permanent magnets which has a magnetostatic field. I ran some simulations, and the filed of a permanent magnet seems to be shielded by a layer of nickel. So, who's telling the truth?

Thanks,
Michael

1. What are permanent magnets?

Permanent magnets are objects that produce a magnetic field without the need for an external source of electricity. They are made of materials that are magnetized and will retain their magnetism over time, hence the term "permanent".

2. How do permanent magnets work?

Permanent magnets work by aligning the magnetic domains within their material to create a magnetic field. This field can attract or repel other magnetic materials, and it can also interact with electromagnetic waves to propagate them through space.

3. Can permanent magnets produce electromagnetic waves?

Yes, permanent magnets can produce electromagnetic waves when they are in motion. This is known as electromagnetic induction, where the changing magnetic field created by the moving magnet induces an electric current in nearby conductive materials, thereby producing electromagnetic waves.

4. What is the relationship between permanent magnets and electromagnetic wave propagation?

Permanent magnets play a crucial role in the propagation of electromagnetic waves. They can be used to generate the waves, as explained in electromagnetic induction, or they can be used to manipulate and control the direction and intensity of the waves.

5. What are the applications of permanent magnets in electromagnetic wave propagation?

Permanent magnets have a wide range of applications in electromagnetic wave propagation, including in generators, motors, speakers, and antennas. They are also used in medical imaging devices, such as MRI machines, which use strong permanent magnets to create images of the body's tissues and organs.