Understanding Time Dilation: Exploring the Twin Paradox and Relativity

In summary, the conversation discusses the concept of time dilation in special relativity, where the faster an object moves, the slower time flows for it. The conversation also touches on the twin paradox, where one twin ages less than the other due to their different frames of reference. Both parties in the conversation are correct in their observations, as the effects of relativity are symmetrical.
blackwizard
Iv been reading the fabric of the cosmos and its my 1st and only source on theoretical physics. I reckon i understand str from it, i can work spacetime diagrams and lorentz transforms but my understanding must b wrong somewhere.

Str says the faster an object moves the slower time flows for it. let's say 2 objects are movin at v m/s relative 2 each other. Object A looks at B and says I am stationary and ur movin at v m/s so time shud flow slower for u. Object B looks at A and says no I am stationary and ur movin at v, time flows slower for u.

I also can't see how 1 can be right since their is no difference between them

Physics news on Phys.org
blackwizard said:
Str says the faster an object moves the slower time flows for it.
STR says that the clocks in a moving frame run slower as measured by observers in the "nonmoving" frame. The faster the moving frame moves with respect to the "nonmoving" frame, the greater the effect. But in its own frame, the "moving" clock operates just like it always does. (After all, we are moving with respect to some other frame right now--do you feel time running any slower? :wink: )

And yes, the effects of relativity (on clocks and metersticks) are completely symmetric. If B is moving with respect to A, they each measure the other's clocks as running slowly compared to their own.

Class! They're both right is an answer i should hav assumed.

"they each measure the other's clocks as running slowly compared to their own" was what i thought there was a problem with.

Thanks

blackwizard said:
"they each measure the other's clocks as running slowly compared to their own" was what i thought there was a problem with.

that's sort of what the "twin paradox" is about.

1. What is time dilation?

Time dilation is a phenomenon in which time appears to pass at different rates for two observers who are in relative motion to each other. It is a consequence of Einstein's theory of relativity.

2. How does time dilation occur?

Time dilation occurs when an observer moves at high speeds or experiences strong gravitational forces. These factors cause a distortion in the fabric of spacetime, resulting in a difference in the passage of time for the observer compared to a stationary observer.

3. Is time dilation real?

Yes, time dilation is a real phenomenon that has been proven through various experiments and observations. It is a fundamental aspect of Einstein's theory of relativity and has been confirmed by numerous scientific experiments.

4. What is the practical application of time dilation?

One practical application of time dilation is in the functioning of GPS systems. These systems must take into account the difference in time due to the satellites' high speeds in orbit and the Earth's gravitational field to accurately calculate location and time.

5. Can time dilation be reversed?

No, time dilation cannot be reversed as it is a natural consequence of the laws of physics. However, it can be counteracted by moving at high speeds in the opposite direction or by experiencing an equal and opposite gravitational force.