Oxford Admission Test: Answers to 2 Problems

In summary, the conversation discusses two problems related to physics and temperature. For the first problem, the question asks about the speed at which an image approaches a person running towards a plane mirror. The options given are 5 m/s, 2.5 m/s, 10 m/s, and 15 m/s. The correct answer is 10 m/s as the image approaches the person with double the speed at which they are running. For the second problem, the question involves finding the amount of hot water needed to reach a desired temperature in a bath. The equation E=mcT is suggested to be used, where m represents mass, c represents specific heat, and T represents temperature. The correct answer is 17 kg.
mohlam12
hello everyone, i saw this two problems on a sample oxford admission test and i was wondering what the answer is ...

1)
If you run at 5 m/s towards a plane mirror, at what speed does your
image approach you?
A 5 m/s
B 2.5 m/s
C 10 m/s
D 15 m/s

i think the right answer is A... am I right?

2)
A baby's bath should be at a temperature of 37C. The bath already
contains 10 kg of water at 15C. Approximately how much hot water,
with a temperature of 50C, should be added to achieve the desired
temperature?
A 10 kg
B 15 kg
C 17 kg
D 20 kg

well for this one, I have no clue. please help.. or point out what i should use. thanks!

simo~~

Physics news on Phys.org
I think for the first one you are considering the velocity of your image from your point of view. Your image approaches the mirror at the same speed as you, but it approaches you at a different speed because you're moving.

For the second one, I think you'd need to use conservation of energy, and the equation E=mcT. Don't worry about c, it cancels.

2) Heat lost by the added hot water = Heat gained by the bath water

mohlam12 said:
1)
image approach you?
A 5 m/s
B 2.5 m/s
C 10 m/s
D 15 m/s

What the hell? The image doesn't approach you at all, it is just a mirror. :confused:

ok, so for the second one, i got the answer C.
what about the first one? :confused:

mohlam12 said:
1)
image approach you?
A 5 m/s
B 2.5 m/s
C 10 m/s
D 15 m/s

No. Figure it out. If you are 10 m from the mirror, how far away is your image? Then when you are 5 m from the mirror, how far away is it?

i'm 10m, the image is 20m away.
i'm 5m away, the image is 10m.

it's moving with the same speed, I'm moving with 5m/s, the image should be moving with 10m/s

Last edited:

What is the Oxford Admission Test?

The Oxford Admission Test is a standardized test used by the University of Oxford to assess the academic abilities of potential students for undergraduate and graduate programs.

What are the two problems typically included in the Oxford Admission Test?

The two problems included in the Oxford Admission Test are typically related to mathematics and logic, and are designed to test the problem-solving and critical thinking skills of the candidates.

How long is the Oxford Admission Test?

The Oxford Admission Test is usually 2 hours long, with no breaks in between. However, the total duration may vary depending on the specific program and department.

What is the format of the Oxford Admission Test?

The Oxford Admission Test is a written exam, consisting of a series of problem-solving questions. Candidates are expected to provide detailed explanations and solutions for each problem.

How important is the Oxford Admission Test in the admission process?

The Oxford Admission Test is an important factor in the admission process, as it helps the university assess the academic potential and skills of the candidates. However, it is not the sole factor considered, as the university also takes into account other aspects such as academic transcripts, personal statement, and letters of recommendation.