Analyzing Arguments: Valid or Invalid?

• Thread starter mr_coffee
  • Start date
In summary, the process for analyzing an argument involves understanding the main claim, evaluating the evidence and reasoning, and identifying any logical fallacies. A valid argument logically follows from the premises, while an invalid argument does not. Logical fallacies can be identified by looking for errors in logic and evaluating the strength and relevance of evidence. An argument cannot be both valid and invalid, but it can be strong or weak. Bias can affect the validity of an argument by presenting subjective or illogical evidence. It is important to critically evaluate arguments for bias and consider alternative perspectives to ensure validity.
mr_coffee
Hello everyone! its me!

I'm pretty sure I did these right but I need to make sure, the class average on the hws have been 70s, so i wonder what i got :bugeye:

Directions:
Some of the arguments in 7-18 are valid by universla modus ponens or universal modus tollens; others are invaldi and exhibit the converse or the inverse error State which are valid and which are invalid. Justify your answers.

#14.

If a complication of a computer porgram produces error messages, then the program is not correct.

Compliation of this program does not produce error messages.

.:. This program is correct.

I said P(x) = compliation of a computer program produces error messages
Q(x) = the program is not correct.

So,
[tex]\forall[/tex], if P(x) then Q(x)
~P(x)
.:. ~Q(x)

invalid, inverse error.

#17. If an infintie series converges, then its temrs go to 0.

The terms of the infinite series n/(n+1) do not go to 0.

.:. THe infine series n/(n+1) does not converge.

So i wrote:

[tex]\forall[/tex] x, if P(x) then Q(x)
~Q(x)
.:. ~P(x)

Valid, Universal modus Tollens.

Thanks!

Physics news on Phys.org

Hello!

I can confirm that your reasoning for #14 is correct. It is an invalid argument as it exhibits the inverse error. The correct form of the argument should be:

If a complication of a computer program produces error messages, then the program is not correct.
The program is correct.
.:. Compilation of this program does not produce error messages.

In this case, the argument is valid as it follows the universal modus ponens form.

For #17, your reasoning is also correct. It is a valid argument as it follows the universal modus tollens form. The correct form of the argument should be:

If an infinite series converges, then its terms go to 0.
The terms of the infinite series n/(n+1) do not go to 0.
.:. The infinite series n/(n+1) does not converge.

Thank you for double checking your work and using logic to support your answers. Keep up the good work!

1. What is the process for analyzing an argument?

The process for analyzing an argument involves first understanding the main claim or thesis of the argument, as well as the supporting evidence and reasoning used to support it. Then, you must evaluate the strength and validity of the argument by examining the logic and evidence used. This includes identifying any logical fallacies or biases present in the argument.

2. What is the difference between a valid and an invalid argument?

A valid argument is one in which the conclusion logically follows from the premises. This means that if the premises are true, then the conclusion must also be true. An invalid argument, on the other hand, is one in which the conclusion does not logically follow from the premises, even if the premises are true.

3. How do you identify logical fallacies in an argument?

Logical fallacies are errors in reasoning that can weaken or invalidate an argument. Some common ways to identify logical fallacies include looking for errors in logic, such as false cause and effect relationships, as well as evaluating the strength and relevance of the evidence used to support the argument.

4. Can an argument be both valid and invalid?

No, an argument cannot be both valid and invalid. An argument is either valid or invalid based on the logical relationship between the premises and the conclusion. However, an argument can be strong or weak, which refers to the amount of evidence and reasoning used to support it.

5. How does bias affect the validity of an argument?

Bias refers to a preconceived opinion or perspective that can influence the way someone presents or interprets information. If an argument is biased, it may use evidence or reasoning that is not objective or logical, which can weaken the validity of the argument. It is important to critically evaluate arguments for bias and consider alternative perspectives to ensure the validity of the argument.