All encompasing mathematics flowchart

• Thread starter silverdiesel
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Mathematics
In summary, there have been attempts to organize all of mathematics based on fundamental postulates, but due to the vastness and complexity of the subject, it is not feasible to create a comprehensive visual representation of all mathematical knowledge. Projects such as Metamath have attempted to create databases of logical derivations, but even those are limited in scope. Additionally, Godel's incompleteness theorems suggest that there will always be statements in mathematics that cannot be proven from a set of axioms.
silverdiesel
You know how Euclid organized all geometry based on fundamental postulates. As I understand it, all of mathematics can be organized from fundamental postulates. If this is the case, is there a resource where you can see the posulates and listed below, derivations from those postulates. Not the entire derivations, just the conclusions, so you can get a visual picture of all mathematical knowledge. I know it sounds like a huge undertaking, but I was thinking that it could be acomplished on a website pretty easier than printing out such a list.

Mathematics news on Phys.org
Mathematics today isn't done under one single set of postulates. There are many sets of postulates (more commonly called axioms today) that are used in various branches of mathematics. There is also simply too much mathematical knowledge today to arrange it all in any sort of "flowchart" in any reasonable amount of space (even if you were to omit all definitions, etc. and assume that everyone knows all of the notation, which is often used with completely different meanings in different contexts). Even arranging the sum of current knowledge in relatively new branches of study would be a daunting task.

There are attempts at something like that, though. I can't seem to find it again but I once stumbled across an online logic derivation database, where a large part of basic math is derived straight from logical axioms and you can trace the derivations.

hmmm.. actually I was thinking something like Google Earth, but with axioms and derivations rather than a map of the globe. So you can zoom in and out depending on the detail your looking for. But it sounds like modern Mathematics is too disconnected for such a project. Metemath looks very interesting though. I'll have to spend some time looking into that. Thanks for the responces!

silverdiesel said:
You know how Euclid organized all geometry based on fundamental postulates. As I understand it, all of mathematics can be organized from fundamental postulates. If this is the case, is there a resource where you can see the posulates and listed below, derivations from those postulates. Not the entire derivations, just the conclusions, so you can get a visual picture of all mathematical knowledge. I know it sounds like a huge undertaking, but I was thinking that it could be acomplished on a website pretty easier than printing out such a list.

You might want to read about Godel's incompleteness theorems while you are at it. Any system capable of doing arithmetic will contain a statement that is true but unprovable from the axioms.

silverdiesel said:
hmmm.. actually I was thinking something like Google Earth, but with axioms and derivations rather than a map of the globe. So you can zoom in and out depending on the detail your looking for.

That would be an amazing project. I'd love to see something like that if it was created.

CRGreathouse said:
...or Metamath.
:smile: Yeah, that's what I was thinking of.

What is an "All encompassing mathematics flowchart"?

An "All encompassing mathematics flowchart" is a visual representation of all the main branches of mathematics and how they are interconnected. It provides a comprehensive overview of the different types of mathematical concepts and their relationships to each other.

Why is an "All encompassing mathematics flowchart" useful?

An "All encompassing mathematics flowchart" is useful for students and researchers as it allows them to see the bigger picture of mathematics and how different concepts are interconnected. It can also help with identifying knowledge gaps and understanding the relationships between different areas of mathematics.

Who can benefit from using an "All encompassing mathematics flowchart"?

Anyone studying or working in the field of mathematics can benefit from using an "All encompassing mathematics flowchart". It can be especially helpful for students, teachers, and researchers as a visual aid for understanding and organizing different mathematical concepts.

How can one create an "All encompassing mathematics flowchart"?

Creating an "All encompassing mathematics flowchart" can be a complex task and may require knowledge and expertise in various mathematical fields. One approach is to start with the main branches of mathematics, such as algebra, geometry, and calculus, and then add sub-branches and connections between them. There are also existing flowcharts available online that can be used as a starting point.

What are the benefits of using an "All encompassing mathematics flowchart" for education?

Using an "All encompassing mathematics flowchart" in education can help students see the connections between different mathematical concepts and understand how they build upon each other. It can also make learning more engaging and interactive, as students can visually see the relationships and patterns between different topics.