What is the tension in the cords of two hanging paint buckets?

• Thread starter chocolatecello
  • Start date
In summary, the problem involves two 3.0-kg paint buckets hanging by massless cords. They are at rest and the tension in each cord is being asked. The solution involves realizing that the forces are in equilibrium and that the tension in each cord must equal the weight of each bucket. This simplifies the problem and eliminates the need for complicated calculations or the use of Newton's 2nd law.
chocolatecello
Allright, so I'm stuck on this problem:

"One 3.0-kg paint bucket is hanging by a massless cord from another 3.0-kg paint bucket, also hanging by a massless cord. a) If the buckets are at rest, what is the tension in each cord?"

Here's what I have so far:

I drew a free-body diagram with tension (T) pointing upwards and weight (W) pointing downwards on both buckets.
Then I tried to solve it like this:

Fnet=ma
sum of forces=W-T

W=mg
W=30(9.8)
W=294

T=ma
T=30a

so sum of F=294-30a
but now I have two variables and I'm not sure what to do. I think I'm missing something obvious here, so could somebody help point me in the right direction? Thanks :)

Physics news on Phys.org
Since the bodies are at rest, then there is no movement, hence no acceleration, hence no need to use Newton's 2nd law.
Since the bodies are at rest, then they are in equlibrium with each other, which means that all forces acting cancel each other out (i.e. there is no net force).
Since the forces balance, then any upward force must equal the downwards force.

This is actually quite a simple problem and it is quite unnecessary to get so complicated in your calculations. In your free body diagram, you have to realize that your forces are in equilibrium. Perhaps it helps if you sort of have an idea where the net acceleration will be when drawing a free body diagram, which is not downwards as your equations suggest (though in this case it is actually non-existent). This will help you in more complicated problems like pulleys later on.

1. What is the "Tension/bucket problem"?

The "Tension/bucket problem" is a theoretical problem in physics that involves a bucket of water being suspended by two ropes. The question is, if an additional weight is added to the bucket, will the tension in the ropes increase or decrease?

2. What factors affect the tension in the ropes?

The tension in the ropes is affected by the weight of the bucket and the water, the length and angle of the ropes, and the mass of the additional weight added to the bucket.

3. How does the angle of the ropes affect the tension?

The angle of the ropes can affect the tension in different ways. If the angle is increased, the tension in each rope will decrease. However, if the angle is decreased, the tension in each rope will increase.

4. What is the formula for calculating tension in the ropes?

The formula for calculating tension in the ropes is T = (m1 + m2)g / 2cosθ, where T is the tension, m1 and m2 are the masses of the bucket and additional weight, g is the acceleration due to gravity, and θ is the angle of the ropes.

5. Does the tension in the ropes change if the weight of the bucket changes?

Yes, the tension in the ropes will change if the weight of the bucket changes. The tension will increase as the weight of the bucket increases, and decrease as the weight of the bucket decreases.