I Need Help with Archimedes Priniciple and Bouyant Force

In summary, the buoyant force is equal to the weight of the object displaced, and the object will sink if it displaces more than the maximum buoyant force. If the object displaces less than the maximum buoyant force, it will float.
AB240sx
How do you Determine whether it floats or not
I know how to find the apparent force but how much force does it take to float above water and submergered but not sunken

Physics news on Phys.org
AB240sx said:
How do you Determine whether it floats or not
I know how to find the apparent force but how much force does it take to float above water and submergered but not sunken
As per forum rules, please post your specific problem, your attempted work so far, and details of where/how you're struggling. We'll be happy to help you with that. :)

Its not a specific problem but just in general i don't know how you can tell besides looking at it
i'll find an example and post it i guess

A cubic dm of aluminum is submerged in water. the density of aluminum is 2.70 X 10^3 kg/m^3

F buoyant is 9.80 N
F g is 26.5 N
26.5-9.8= 16.7 N
F apparent is 16.7 N

how can you tell if it floats or not, I'm sure the answer is simple, but I'm not the brightest crayon in the box

Last edited:
AB240sx said:
A cubic dm of aluminum is submerged in water. the density of aluminum is 2.70 X 10^3 kg/m^3

F buoyant is 9.80 N
F g is 26.5 N
26.5-9.8= 16.7 N
F apparent is 16.7 N

how can you tell if it floats or not, I'm sure the answer is simple, but I'm not the brightest crayon in the box
Archimedes principle states that the buoyant force is equal to the weight of dsiplaced fluid. The maximum possible buoyant force is when the object is completely submerged. If the object has a volume V, then if it weighs less than the same volume V of fluid, it will float. If it weighs more than the same volume of fluid it will sink. If it weighs the same as an equal volume of fluid it is neutrally buoyant and will stay at any level it is placed in the fluid.

The "apparent weight" calculation is the difference between weight and the maximum possible buoyant force. If that is positive, as it is in your example, the object will sink. If it is negative the object will float.

When an object floats on a liquid, it only displaces the amount of liquid that weighs the same as the object. If it displaces more than that (because it was dropped in the fluid or is pushed down) it will bob up and down until the final level is reached.

You can tell if an object will float by comparing its density to the density of the fluid. If an object is more dense than the fluid, then it will weigh more than an equal volume of fluid and it will sink. If it is less dense, it will float.

thanks that makes much more sense than my book

What is Archimedes Principle?

Archimedes Principle is a scientific law that states that the buoyant force on an object immersed in a fluid is equal to the weight of the fluid that the object displaces. This means that an object will float if it is less dense than the fluid it is immersed in, and sink if it is more dense.

How is buoyant force related to Archimedes Principle?

Buoyant force is the force that causes objects to float in a fluid, and it is directly related to Archimedes Principle. As stated in the principle, the buoyant force is equal to the weight of the fluid that the object displaces. This means that the greater the volume of fluid displaced by an object, the greater the buoyant force acting on it.

How does the density of an object affect its buoyancy?

The density of an object plays a crucial role in determining its buoyancy. If an object is less dense than the fluid it is immersed in, it will experience a greater upward buoyant force and will float. If an object is more dense than the fluid, it will experience a smaller upward buoyant force and will sink.

What are some real-life applications of Archimedes Principle?

Archimedes Principle has numerous practical applications in our daily lives. For example, it is used in designing ships, submarines, and other water vessels to ensure that they have enough buoyancy to float. It is also used in hot air balloons and blimps, as well as in determining the volume of irregularly shaped objects.

How is Archimedes Principle related to the concept of displacement?

Archimedes Principle is closely related to the concept of displacement, which is the change in volume of a fluid when an object is immersed in it. As the principle states, the buoyant force acting on an object is equal to the weight of the fluid it displaces. This means that the volume of fluid displaced by an object is directly proportional to its buoyant force.