Releasing a sphere from water

In summary, a 1kg hollow sphere is released from rest at the bottom of a 2m deep pool of water and accelerates upwards, eventually flying out of the pool. The problem can be divided into two parts, when the sphere is in the water and when it is out. The acceleration is approximately 31.2 m/s^2 and the velocity is zero when it stops going up. To find the height above the pool before coming down, kinematics can be used with an expression that incorporates distance. It is also important to note that there is no air or water resistance.
vu10758

Homework Statement

A 1kg hollow sphere of volume .00419m^3 is released from rest at the bottom of a 2m deep pool of water (density of water is 1000kg/m^3). The sphere accelerates upwards and flies out of the pool. How high does it get above the pool before coming down. Ignore the brief time when the sphere is only partially submerged and assume there is no air or water resistance.

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

When I drew the free body diagram, I have Buoyant force pushing up and mg pulling down.

B - mg = ma

I know B = Density_water * Volume displaced * g

I know m, so I solved for a, getting approximately 31.2 m/s^2

However, I don't know what to do now. I know that velocity is zero when it stops going up, but I can't find anything with v = v_0 - gt since I also starts from rest. y = y_0 + v_o*t + (1/2)gt^2 wasn't helpful either.

When I attempted energy conservation,

I did

(1/2)mv^2 + mgh = (1/2)mv_f^2 + mgh_f
(1/2)mv^2 = mgh_f

However, my initial velocity is zero so it's not helpful either.

What should I do?

Physics news on Phys.org
Break the problem up into two parts. When the sphere is in the water and when it is out. What info would be good to know as it leaves the water? You can use kinematics in this, you just have find an expression that incorporates distance into it. Also, I think you made a math error in your acceleration calculation, it seems too big.

Thanks. I will try it again.

1. What happens when a sphere is released from water?

When a sphere is released from water, it will float to the surface due to the buoyant force acting on it. This is because the weight of the water displaced by the sphere is greater than the weight of the sphere itself.

2. Does the size of the sphere affect its release from water?

Yes, the size of the sphere does affect its release from water. A larger sphere will displace more water, resulting in a greater buoyant force and a slower release from the water compared to a smaller sphere.

3. How does the density of the sphere affect its release from water?

The density of the sphere plays a significant role in its release from water. A sphere with a higher density than water will sink when released, while a sphere with a lower density will float. The density of the sphere also affects the speed at which it rises or sinks in the water.

4. What factors can influence the release of a sphere from water?

Aside from size and density, other factors that can influence the release of a sphere from water include the shape of the sphere, the surface tension of the water, and the presence of any external forces such as wind or currents.

5. Can the release of a sphere from water be used to determine its density?

Yes, the release of a sphere from water can be used to determine its density. By measuring the time it takes for the sphere to rise or sink in the water, and taking into account the known density of water, the density of the sphere can be calculated using the buoyancy equation.