How Far Must a Proton Be from a Charge to Balance Its Weight?

In summary: C.The charge of a proton is 8.31229692 x 10^24 mC while the charge of an electron is 1.602 x 10^-19 mC.
map7s

Homework Statement

A point charge q = -0.80 nC is fixed at the origin. Where must a proton be placed in order for the electric force acting on the proton to be exactly opposite to its weight? (Let the y-axis be vertical and the x-axis be horizontal.)

Homework Equations

F=(kq1 q2)/r^2

The Attempt at a Solution

I first tried drawing this out and it seems like it should be a pretty straightforward problem, but I seem to be having more trouble with it than I probably should. I know that F would have to equal zero, but if I do that then I can't solve for r.

Physics news on Phys.org
The other relevant equation you need to use it the force due to gravity. Assume that this experiment is being done in a vacuum chamber on the surface of the Earth. Draw a free body diagram assuming that the charge is physically held at the origin, and think about how you would balance the gravitational force and the Coloumb force on the proton.

So if the proton is going to be placed below the point charge, then the gravitational force and the Coulomb force would be going in opposite directions, so you would have F(coulomb)-g...correct?

map7s said:
So if the proton is going to be placed below the point charge, then the gravitational force and the Coulomb force would be going in opposite directions, so you would have F(coulomb)-g...correct?

Correct concept, but a small oversight in your math. You are correct that you want to balance the forces, but "g" is the acceleration due to gravity. How do you write the force due to gravity on a mass m?

Would you use the equation for the gravitational force? F=(Gm1 m2)/r^2

map7s said:
Would you use the equation for the gravitational force? F=(Gm1 m2)/r^2

You could, but that's more complicated than necessary. Just use the appropriate form of the general F=ma, where you substitute the value of "g", the acceleration of gravity at the surface of the Earth. Then balance your forces, and you're done!

So...would it work if I did F= coulomb - mg to take the weight into account?

map7s said:
So...would it work if I did F= coulomb - mg to take the weight into account?

In equilibrium (nothing is moving -- it's balanced), the sum of the forces on the proton must add to zero.

I have to bail for a couple hours, but you are on the right track. Write the value of the two forces (careful about signs!), set the sum to zero, and solve.

Would the charge of the proton just be equal to one? mg=(kq1 q2)/r^2

map7s said:
Would the charge of the proton just be equal to one? mg=(kq1 q2)/r^2

No. "Charge" is in units of Columbs in the mks system of units. Be sure to stay consistent in your use of units. What can you say about the charge of a proton compared to the charge of an electron? What is the charge of an electron in Columbs?

The absolute value of the charges of protons and electrons are the same...so would I just use the charge of the electron in the equation?

I just wanted to make sure that I was using the correct equation: mg=(kq1 q2)/r^2

Okie dokie. That's the correct force equation. What did you get for the final answer?

My final answer was 8.31229692 x 10^24 m

1. What is Coulomb's Law?

Coulomb's Law is a fundamental law of physics that describes the electrostatic force between two charged particles. It states that the force between two charged particles is directly proportional to the product of their charges and inversely proportional to the square of the distance between them.

2. How is Coulomb's Law related to protons?

Protons are positively charged particles and Coulomb's Law is used to calculate the force between two charged particles, such as protons. This law helps to explain the force of attraction or repulsion between protons in an atom, which is essential for understanding the structure of matter.

3. Why are protons important in Coulomb's Law?

Protons are important in Coulomb's Law because they are charged particles, meaning they have an electric charge. This charge is necessary for the electrostatic force described in Coulomb's Law to exist between particles.

4. How does the distance between protons affect the force calculated by Coulomb's Law?

According to Coulomb's Law, the force between two charged particles is inversely proportional to the square of the distance between them. This means that as the distance between protons increases, the force between them decreases. Similarly, if the distance decreases, the force increases.

5. Can Coulomb's Law be applied to other particles besides protons?

Yes, Coulomb's Law can be applied to any charged particles, not just protons. This includes electrons, which have a negative charge, and any other charged particles that may exist in the universe. Coulomb's Law is a fundamental law of physics that applies to all charged particles.