Electric Field: non parallel plates?

In summary, Lewis has run into a problem trying to solve a problem that has no closed form solution. He has assumed that the electric field lines remain straight, but they curve significantly. Even the parallel plate capacitor has curved fields at the edges, so the usual formula is only an approximation.
power freak
Hi,

I'm in the process of completing my physics coursework (A-level) and have run into a bit of a problem:

I am trying to find a general equation for a plate capacitor, where the plates aren't parallel.

I've always seen the parallel plate capacitor equation:

[tex] C = \frac {\epsilon A}{d} [/tex]

Derived through finding an expression for the electric field due to parallel plates and substituting this into:

[tex] C = \frac {Q}{V} [/tex]

I was intending to use a similar approach to the problem with non-parallel plates (perhaps there is a better way?)

This runs into a problem however because I do not know how to derive an expression for the electric field between non-parallel plates. Could somebody please point me in the right direction?

An attempt at deriving an expression:

The electric field due to sheet of charge is:

[tex] E = \frac {\sigma}{2\epsilon} [/tex]

If the normal to the plate makes an angle [tex]\theta[/tex] to the field lines then the electric field is:

[tex] E = \frac {\sigma Cos(\theta)}{2\epsilon} [/tex]

So the field between angled plates would be:

[tex] E = \frac {\sigma(1 + Cos(\theta))}{2\epsilon} [/tex]

(sigmas represent charge density, thetas represent the angle to the normal and epsilons represent the permittivity of the dielectric.)

However if I then use this to derive an equation for the capacitance C then it doesn't match my experimental data at all (in some places it is out by nearly 100% where as the accuracy of my measuring equipment was roughly 3%.)

I've attached a quick diagram too, just to give an idea of what is going on (I know my english isn't as clear as it could be.) The black lines are the plates, the dark red lines are just there to give distances etc. The lower case sigmas represent the charge density of each plate.

Any help would be much appreciated,

Lewis

EDIT: actually thinking about it.. To do the "substitution" method I'm going to need to multiply the electric field by a distance separation (d).. As the distance isn't linear this isn't going to work... Back to the drawing board again I guess?

Attachments

• cap.JPG
    cap.JPG
    6.7 KB · Views: 2,367
Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
You have discovered the unfortunate truth that there is no simple (or even complicated) closed form solution to the non-parallel capacitor problem. You made the unrealistic assumption that the electric field lines remain straight when in fact they curve significantly once you tilt the plates. Even the parallel plate capacitor has curved fields at the edges (they're called fringe fields), so the usual formula is only an approximation that's valid in the limit of small separation compared to the plate size. That's a good approximation in all practical capacitors, but it isn't even close in your case--all your fields are "fringe" fields.

There is one tilted case that can be solved exactly, it's where the plates are infinitely long (normal to the paper in your drawing). Then the problem is two dimensional and can be solved using conformal mapping, a complex variables technique. The capacitance <EDIT: per unit length> is given in terms of elliptic integrals.

If the tilt is modest, I'd use the standard parallel-plate formula and plug in the average separation s, that is at the center of your drawing. If s is small compared to the plate length l the answer will be in the ballpark. Your drawing suggests that s<<l does not apply, however. In that case, this type of problem is solved numerically using finite element or similar programs.

Last edited:
marcusl said:
You have discovered the unfortunate truth that there is no simple (or even complicated) closed form solution to the non-parallel capacitor problem. You made the unrealistic assumption that the electric field lines remain straight when in fact they curve significantly once you tilt the plates. Even the parallel plate capacitor has curved fields at the edges (they're called fringe fields), so the usual formula is only an approximation that's valid in the limit of small separation compared to the plate size. That's a good approximation in all practical capacitors, but it isn't even close in your case--all your fields are "fringe" fields.

There is one tilted case that can be solved exactly, it's where the plates are infinitely long (normal to the paper in your drawing). Then the problem is two dimensional and can be solved using conformal mapping, a complex variables technique. The capacitance is given in terms of elliptic integrals.

If the tilt is modest, I'd use the standard parallel-plate formula and plug in the average separation s, that is at the center of your drawing. If s is small compared to the plate length l the answer will be in the ballpark. Your drawing suggests that s<<l does not apply, however. In that case, his type of problem is solved numerically using finite element or similar programs.
That's really interesting.. Thanks for the reply.

At least I'll have something to talk about in my write up. :)

power freak said:
That's really interesting.. Thanks for the reply.

At least I'll have something to talk about in my write up. :)

Some names of numerical methods that are applicable for solving this type of problem:

1) method of moments
2) finite difference method
3) ... there are more, you can look them up.

Here is the problem you were working on solved numerically:

PARALLEL-PLATE CAPACITANCE
http://www.ttc-cmc.net/~fme/captance.html
link to paper: http://www.ttc-cmc.net/~fme/plates.12-24-00.ps.gz

Last edited by a moderator:
One further note: your diagram specifies uniform surface charge densities, but they will be non-uniform for your non-parallel case. It is just as well, then, that in practical cases one specifies the potentials on the plates rather than charge densities.

This may be of interest. I had a project last semester where we had to compute the charge distribution for a NON-IDEAL parallel plate capacitor. Here is the charge distribution for the lower plate:
437062516_0007f13f04.jpg

1. What is an electric field?

An electric field is a region in space where an electrically charged particle will experience a force. It is created by electrically charged particles and can be thought of as the force field that surrounds them.

2. How is an electric field created between non parallel plates?

An electric field between non parallel plates is created by applying a voltage difference between the plates. This causes a build-up of opposite charges on the plates, resulting in an electric field between them.

3. What is the direction of the electric field between non parallel plates?

The direction of the electric field between non parallel plates is from the positively charged plate to the negatively charged plate.

4. How does the distance between the plates affect the electric field strength?

The electric field strength between non parallel plates is inversely proportional to the distance between the plates. This means that as the distance between the plates increases, the electric field strength decreases.

5. What is the importance of understanding electric fields between non parallel plates?

Understanding electric fields between non parallel plates is important in various applications such as capacitor design, electric motors, and particle accelerators. It also helps in understanding the behavior of electrically charged particles in different environments.