Functional integral (semiclassic formula)

In summary, the conversation discusses the calculation of the propagator K(x,x') for a theory using the functional integral approach. The question is whether the semiclassical WKB approach also satisfies the Schödinger equation or if it only approximates it with a Hamilton-Jacobi type equation. The solution to the Hamilton-Jacobi equation is related to the WKB approximation as a first order expansion in powers of h-bar.
tpm
If to calculate the propagator K(x,x') (vaccuum)for a theory so:

[tex] (i\hbar \frac{\partial}{\partial t}\Psi - H\Psi )K(x,x')=\delta (x-x') [/tex] (1)

we use the functional integral approach:

[tex] K(x,x')=<0|e^{iS[x]/\hbar }|0> [/tex]

my question is, let's suppose we use the semiclassical WKB approach to calculate [tex] K_{WKB} (x,x') [/tex] my question is ¿does the classical propagator satisfies the Schöedinguer equation (1) or as an approximation i'd like to know if the semiclassical propagator satisfies a Hamilton-Jacobi type equation... thanks.

Physics news on Phys.org
hello
the solution of Hamilton-Jacobi equation is the generators of the canonical transformations (such as the action (the phase) it self) you can see articles: Barut , another : Boujdaa

The WKB approximation is a first order expansion in powers of h-bar, so that's how it's related. To zeroth order, you obtain the Hamilton-Jacobi equation, and to first order I believe is where you get the WKB approximation, if I recall correctly.

What is a functional integral?

A functional integral is a mathematical tool used to calculate the probability or amplitude of a quantum mechanical system. It is a generalization of the path integral formulation of quantum mechanics, which allows for the calculation of the likelihood of a system's evolution over time.

How does a functional integral differ from a regular integral?

A functional integral integrates over an infinite-dimensional space, instead of a finite number of variables like a regular integral. It also involves a summation over all possible paths or functions, instead of a single function. This makes it a more general and powerful tool for analyzing complex systems in quantum mechanics.

What is the semiclassical approximation in a functional integral?

The semiclassical formula, also known as the WKB approximation, is a method used to simplify the calculation of functional integrals by approximating the path integral with a classical trajectory. This is often used when the quantum system in question has a large action or when the classical trajectory is well-defined.

What are some applications of functional integrals in physics?

Functional integrals have a wide range of applications in physics, including in quantum field theory, statistical mechanics, and condensed matter physics. They are particularly useful for calculating correlation functions, transition amplitudes, and partition functions in these areas.

What are the limitations of functional integrals?

Functional integrals can be difficult to calculate for complex systems, and the semiclassical approximation may not always accurately represent the true behavior of a quantum system. Additionally, functional integrals are limited to non-relativistic quantum mechanics and do not take into account effects such as particle interactions or quantum entanglement.