Pressure of a bubble in Liquid

In summary, the problem involves determining the pressure inside a bubble located 4.0 m below the surface of a liquid ethyl alcohol in a rigid container. Using the equation P = P(nought) + (density)(gravity)(height), with the density of alcohol being .806 x 10^3 and the air pressure above the liquid being 1.1 atm, a calculation results in a pressure of 338.22, which may not be the correct answer. Converting the given air pressure to Pa may help in solving the problem.
davidatwayne

Homework Statement

Air is trapped above liquid ethyl alcohol in a rigid container. If the air pressure above the liquid is 1.1 atm, determine the pressure inside a bubble 4.0 m below the surface of the liquid.

Homework Equations

P= P(nought) + (density)(gravity)(height)
density of alcohol .806 x 10^3

The Attempt at a Solution

Pnought would be the 1.1 atm
P= 1.1 + (806 kg/m^3)(9.8 m/s^2)(4 m)
= 31596

That isn't the right answer, so I'm very confused. Do I need to change atmospheres to kPas? Is that density correct? Am i even using the right equation?

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
I would definitely convert the 1.1 atm to Pa to see if that's your problem. Your units aren't consistent the way they are.

It isn't [tex]P_0*\rho gh[/tex]
Its [tex]P_0 + \rho gh[/tex]

davidatwayne said:
P= P(nought) x (density)(gravity)(height)
density of alcohol .806 x 10^3

The Attempt at a Solution

Pnought would be the 1.1 atm
P= 1.1 + (806 kg/m^3)(9.8 m/s^2)(4 m)
= 338.22

That isn't the right answer, so I'm very confused. Do I need to change atmospheres to kPas? Is that density correct? Am i even using the right equation?

You've got two versions of the equation written down here. The one you used in your calculation is the right one, but I can't figure out how you got the 338.22 even if it is wrong.

What is the pressure of a bubble in liquid?

The pressure of a bubble in liquid refers to the force exerted by the bubble on the surrounding liquid due to the gas inside the bubble.

How is the pressure of a bubble in liquid calculated?

The pressure of a bubble in liquid can be calculated using the Young-Laplace equation, which takes into account the surface tension, curvature, and radius of the bubble.

What factors affect the pressure of a bubble in liquid?

The pressure of a bubble in liquid is affected by the surface tension of the liquid, the size and shape of the bubble, and the surrounding pressure and temperature.

Why does the pressure of a bubble in liquid increase as the bubble gets smaller?

As the bubble gets smaller, the surface area to volume ratio increases, causing the surface tension to exert a greater force on the bubble and increasing the pressure inside.

How does the pressure of a bubble in liquid change over time?

The pressure of a bubble in liquid decreases over time as the gas inside the bubble diffuses into the surrounding liquid, causing the bubble to shrink and the pressure inside to decrease.