Sequences Series geometric series or an arithmetic series?

In summary, this is a neither a geometric nor arithmetic series. The explicit formula for this sequence is a sub n = (3^(n-1) + 1) / 2. To derive this formula, one can use the difference equation a_n - 3a_(n-1) = -1 and solve for the closed form. There may be other patterns or formulas that fit this sequence, but only the one mentioned is considered as the "formula" in a math education context.
physics246
This is the sequence: 1, 2, 5, 14, 41, 122

1. Is this a geometric series or an arithmetic series?
2. I know the formula is a sub n=[3^(n-1)+1]/2, but how do you get that from a sub n=a sub 1 * r^(n-1), which is the geometric formula for series.

Last edited:
Mathematics news on Phys.org
1. Neither.

2. I assume your sequence should be 1,2,5,14,41,122

You don't get it from a geometric series, since it isn't a geometric sequence.

1. Is this a geometric series or an arithmetic series?
It is neither - geometric series means constant ratio between terms, arithmetic means constant difference.

So how would you get it then, with what formula or method?

Well, if you are clever, you will see that if n>=2, then we have:

[tex]a_{n}-3a_{n-1}=-1[/tex]

Assuming this is the pattern for all the next numbers, you may derive that explicit formula.

So there is no definite way of determining that formula? I see that to get from a term to another you add first 1, then 3, then 9, then 27, then 81 which are multiples of three. Does this have anything to do with determining the formula?

Thanks

A finite sequence can be extended in infinitely many ways, i.e, there exists an infinity of patterns to choose from.

A pattern that fits this is: [tex]F(N)=\frac{3^N+1}{2}, N=0,1,2..[/tex]

I know that that is the pattern, but I was just wondering how to figure that out with a formula or something.

1)neither

2) you can convert it to geometric series >>

t=1+2+5+14+41+122... Tn ------(1)
t= 1+2+5+14+41+122...Tn-Tn-1+Tn ------(2)

now eq 1- 2 and you'll get geometric series .

Can you please explain that more?

Post 5 gives you a difference equation to solve. You also have the solution as a closed formula, to the difference equation, so it is a simple induction argument to verify it.

A finite sequence can be extended in infinitely many ways, i.e, there exists an infinity of patterns to choose from.

And yet, in the context of a math education, only one of these is considered to have a "formula". Although we with our modern sensibilities abhor this notion of formula, Euler would concur.

physics246 said:
Can you please explain that more?

ok

Tn=1+2+5+14+41+122... Tn ------(1)
Tn=0+1+2+5+14+41+122...Tn-1+Tn ------(2)

-------------------------------------------------------------- Eq 1- 2

0 = 1+1+3+3^2+3^3+3^4+... (Tn-Tn-1) - Tn

now transfer that Tn to that side (where zero is) & other side will have (n-1) terms and if you'll not include 1 of (first one) of series then terms will be (n-2) .that fact is that when you get such type of serieses you have to see for diffrences of series .

:devil:

Last edited:
Crosson said:
And yet, in the context of a math education, only one of these is considered to have a "formula".

Usualy, assuming that we deal with a homogeneous linear sequence, the recurrence relation which we have to seek is that having the smallest degree, in this case a[k]-4a[k-1]+3a[k-2]=0 which gives immediately the closed form from the OP (k=3,4...).

[The characteristic equation is r^2-4*r+3=0 ---> r1=1; r2=3

Therefore we must seek a solution of the form a[k]=A*(1)^k+B*[(3)^k] (1); A,B = constants

we have a[k=3]=5 and a[k=4]=14 ---> replacing k in (1) with 3 and 4 results a system of equations from which A=1/2 and B=1/6.]

Last edited:

1. What is a sequence?

A sequence is a list of numbers that follow a specific pattern or rule. Each number in the sequence is called a term.

2. What is a series?

A series is a sum of all the terms in a sequence. It can be either finite (a specific number of terms) or infinite (an endless number of terms).

3. What is a geometric series?

A geometric series is a series in which each term is multiplied by a fixed number (called the common ratio) to get the next term. For example, 1, 2, 4, 8, 16... is a geometric series with a common ratio of 2.

4. What is an arithmetic series?

An arithmetic series is a series in which each term is added by a fixed number (called the common difference) to get the next term. For example, 1, 4, 7, 10, 13... is an arithmetic series with a common difference of 3.

5. What is the difference between a geometric series and an arithmetic series?

The main difference between a geometric series and an arithmetic series is the way in which the terms are obtained. In a geometric series, each term is multiplied by a fixed number, while in an arithmetic series, each term is added by a fixed number.