Do They Have a Point? Analyzing Train Deceleration Problem

In summary, the conversation discusses a question posted about a train's deceleration rate and the different interpretations of the wording. Some argue that the question is ambiguous, while others suggest rephrasing it to remove any ambiguity. It is also pointed out that the question could have been phrased more clearly and directly to avoid confusion.
BigAl
I posted a question as thus :

A train moving at 100 km/hr uniformly decelerates at a rate of 10 km/hr each hr. How far does it travel before stopping ?

A few people interpreted the wording of the question to mean the train travels through each hr at a constant speed and then on the cusp of the hr instanteously decelerates by 10 km /hr .

Their rational is that the stated deceleration of 10 km/hr 'each' hr somehow contadicts the statement uniformly decelerates.

They argue the question is ambiguous .

Do they have a point . Or are they misreading the question.

Physics news on Phys.org
To me, the phrase "uniformly decelerates" would suggest that the rate of deceleration would be constant at 10km/hr2; "uniformly decelerates" removes all ambiguity. However, you may wish to consider rewording your question thus;

A train moving at 100 km/hr uniformly decelerates at a constant rate of 10 km/hr2. How far does it travel before stopping?

Here there is no 'wriggle' room whatsoever. That said, I think that someone has to work really hard to misinterpret your original question, I'd just tell them to sit down and shut up.

Last edited:
Let them interprete "If I walk, I walk 6 kilometers each hour"
Do they really think you stand still and then run super fast to make the 6km in a second?

Thanks for the responses guys .
Here's another comment on the question
"My math sense is more than adequate, thanks. A's in Calc and Diffy Q. Your questions, on the other hand, are very poorly written and ambiguous. It's one thing to pose a poorly phrased question, it's another to attack those who point out how poorly phrased it is. "

This from a University of Michigan graduate engineer.

Is this a fair comment on the question ?

I agree with Hootenanny whereby you should have phrased the question the way he suggested. However, I also think that since you DID phrased it in a rather strange way, someone like me would then start to think "Now there must be a reason he didn't ask it directly. So this isn't the simple question that we are all familiar with".

So if you are giving this to students who are familiar with acceleration being L/T^2, and you are now asking something with L/T per T, I can fully understand if the students start thinking that this question is more difficult than the usual type.

So yes, your question is ambiguous.

Zz.

ZZ ,

But ambiguous in what way . The alternate conclusion was this step wise deceleration assumption. Which by the way would be physically impossible for a train to do .
Can one assume this step wise deceleration and satisfy a description of uniform deceleration ? The decleration might have been stated in a different manner than the standard / t squared but is this enough to overtake the uniform assumption ? I think not.

I agree with you somewhat Zz, if I was faced with the question I would have probably pondered for a while, but my common sense would suggest that the question 'intended' a constant acceleration. However, I can equally see how the problem could have been interpreted as an instantaneous acceleration every hour. So, yes the question could have been phrased better and perhaps a little ambiguous; but still, I would have answered the question the way it was intended.

BigAl said:
ZZ ,

But ambiguous in what way . The alternate conclusion was this step wise deceleration assumption. Which by the way would be physically impossible for a train to do .
Can one assume this step wise deceleration and satisfy a description of uniform deceleration ? The decleration might have been stated in a different manner than the standard / t squared but is this enough to overtake the uniform assumption ? I think not.

But that is what would be puzzling. Why word it in such a strange way, when the standard way would have been a lot simpler, clearer, shorter, and direct? I certainly would have asked that in my head.

When you word it in an unfamiliar way, then you open it up to varying ways to interpret it because the "rules" haven't been agreed upon by all the "players". If you had given the acceleration as L/T^2, do you think such questions would have come up? Nope. Because there's no other way to interpret it because everyone who has done these types of problem would know clearly what it means exactly. The fact that it wasn't asked that way is enough to trigger the notion that this isn't meant to be a "standard" question.

Zz.

1. What is the train deceleration problem?

The train deceleration problem refers to the issue of trains slowing down or coming to a complete stop in a shorter distance than expected, leading to potential safety hazards and delays in train schedules.

2. What causes the train deceleration problem?

There are several factors that can contribute to the train deceleration problem, including worn or faulty brakes, poor track conditions, and operator error. In some cases, a combination of these factors may be responsible.

3. How is the train deceleration problem analyzed?

The train deceleration problem is analyzed through various methods such as conducting brake tests, inspecting the track and train components, and reviewing data from the train's onboard systems. Computer simulations may also be used to simulate different scenarios and determine potential causes.

4. What are the potential consequences of the train deceleration problem?

The train deceleration problem can have serious consequences, including accidents and injuries to passengers and crew, damage to the train and surrounding infrastructure, and delays in train schedules. It can also lead to financial losses for train companies and impact overall transportation efficiency.

5. How can the train deceleration problem be addressed?

Addressing the train deceleration problem requires a combination of preventative measures and corrective actions. This includes regular maintenance and inspection of train components, improving track conditions, and implementing stricter safety protocols and training for train operators. Additionally, advancements in technology and data analysis can help identify and address potential issues before they become major problems.