Finding a Basis for a Submodule of Z^3: A Linear Algebra Homework Problem

• Thread starter pivoxa15
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Basis
In summary, the basis for the submodule of Z^3 generated by the elements {(2,3,1), (3,4,0), (3,4,6), (5,1,4)} is {(2,3,1), (3,4,0), (3,4,6)}. This can be found by making a linear combination of the vectors and finding the coefficients for one of them in terms of the other three. The remaining three vectors will then form a basis for the submodule.
pivoxa15

Homework Statement

How can I find a basis for a submodule of (the Z-module) Z^3 that is generated by the elements {(2,3,1), (3,4,0), (3,4,6) and (5,1,4)}"

The Attempt at a Solution

Would one way be putting each vector as columns in a matrix and row reduce. Except I got a set from the columns which could not even generate the vectors in the set above.

Physics news on Phys.org
As happens from time to time, I get an idea for a problem while or just after I finish typing it. And rarer does the idea actually turn out to be correct. This time I may have found the solution.

Make a linear combination of these 4 vectors equal 0 and find the coefficients for one of them in terms of the other 4 by making them into row reduced echelon form although always leaving the entries as integers. Hence one vector is made redundant. The remaining 3 form a basis as it is not linearly independent and will span the submodule.

1. What is a submodule?

A submodule is a subset of a larger module or system. In scientific research, it refers to a component or element within a larger study or experiment.

2. What is the purpose of creating a submodule?

The purpose of creating a submodule is to break down a larger system or study into smaller, more manageable units that can be analyzed and understood more easily. It also allows for better organization and division of work among researchers.

3. How is a submodule related to the overall module or system?

A submodule is a part of the overall module or system, and is connected to it through a hierarchical relationship. This means that changes made to the submodule can affect the overall module, and vice versa.

4. Can a submodule be used in multiple modules or systems?

Yes, a submodule can be reused in multiple modules or systems as long as it serves a similar purpose and fits within the overall structure of each one.

5. How do you determine the appropriate basis for a submodule?

The appropriate basis for a submodule should be determined based on its specific purpose and relationship to the overall module or system. It should be selected in a way that allows for efficient and effective analysis and understanding of the submodule's role within the larger study or experiment.