Relative motion of a light plane

In summary: If so, here are a few tips to get you started: -Start by trying to simplify each equation by factoring out common terms. - Try lining up the equations so that the terms in each one are on the same side of the equals sign.- Use the quadratic equation calculator to help with solving equations of this type.
Kruz87

Homework Statement

A light plane attains an airspeed of 470 km/h. The pilot sets out for a destination 840 km due north but discovers that the plane must be headed 24.0° east of due north to fly there directly. The plane arrives in 2.00 h. What were the (a) magnitude and (b) direction of the wind velocity? Give the direction as an angle relative to due west, where north of west is a positive angle, and south of west is a negative angle.

2. Homework Equations
(relative motion in two dimensions)
Vpa= Vpb + Vba (the velocity of Vpa of P as measured by A is equal to the velocity Vpb of P as measured by B plus the velocity of Vba measured by A)

3. The Attempt at a Solution
Okay, so here was my valiant but wrong attempt. So first, I drew and labeled my diagram using the three following vectors: (1) Vpg: The plane's velocity in relation to the ground in which I had it angeled 24.0° east of due north (forms hypotenuse of triangle). (2) Vpw: The plane's velocity in relation to the wind in which I had it directly on the y-axis (forms adjacent of triangle ). And (3) Vwg: The wind's velocity in relation to the ground which I had angled westbound to cause the plane to go straight (forms opposite side of 24° angle in triangle). Next, I then made a relationship among the vectors using the triangle that I was able to draw: Vpg =Vpw + Vwg or Vwg= Vpg-Vpw. Where Vpg= 840km/2h= 0i + 420j (b/c only in y direction) and Vpw=470km/h*cos(24)i + 470km/h*sin(24)j= 429.366i + 191.166j. Therefore, Vwg=(0-429.366)i+(420-191.166)j= -429.66i + 228.833j. The magnitude is sqrt(429.66^2 + 228.833j^2) And the angle is tan^-1(191.166/429.366) +90 degrees. It seemed so right, where did I go wrong?

Physics news on Phys.org
Kruz87 said:

Homework Statement

A light plane attains an airspeed of 470 km/h. The pilot sets out for a destination 840 km due north but discovers that the plane must be headed 24.0° east of due north to fly there directly. The plane arrives in 2.00 h. What were the (a) magnitude and (b) direction of the wind velocity? Give the direction as an angle relative to due west, where north of west is a positive angle, and south of west is a negative angle.
2. Homework Equations
(relative motion in two dimensions)
Vpa= Vpb + Vba (the velocity of Vpa of P as measured by A is equal to the velocity Vpb of P as measured by B plus the velocity of Vba measured by A)
You know the resultant velocity vector of the plane relative to land (420 km/hr due north). You know that this consists of the sum of two velocity vectors: the velocity of the air relative to land and the velocity of the plane relative to the air.

You know the magnitude of the plane to air velocity vector (470 km/hr). You know its direction. You know that northern component of this velocity + the northern component of the air velocity relative to land adds up to 420 km/hr. Since the plane does not move east or west, you know that the sum of the east-west components of those two vectors is 0.

From the above, set up two equations with two unknowns:

[tex]\vec v_{pa}\sin (24^o) + \vec v_{al}\cos (x) = 0[/tex] (where x is the angle cclockwise from the due west direction).

[tex]\vec v_{pa}\cos (24^o) + \vec v_{al}\sin (x) = 420[/tex]

Solve for the two unknowns: [itex]|\vec v_{al}|[/itex] and the angle x.

AM

Thanks alot, that got me to the right answer

please help me

Andrew Mason said:
You know the resultant velocity vector of the plane relative to land (420 km/hr due north). You know that this consists of the sum of two velocity vectors: the velocity of the air relative to land and the velocity of the plane relative to the air.

You know the magnitude of the plane to air velocity vector (470 km/hr). You know its direction. You know that northern component of this velocity + the northern component of the air velocity relative to land adds up to 420 km/hr. Since the plane does not move east or west, you know that the sum of the east-west components of those two vectors is 0.

From the above, set up two equations with two unknowns:

[tex]\vec v_{pa}\sin (24^o) + \vec v_{al}\cos (x) = 0[/tex] (where x is the angle cclockwise from the due west direction).

AM
soo how do u solve the two equations i got stuck and what is the answer. i really need help.

Welcome to PF!

notsogood said:
soo how do u solve the two equations i got stuck and what is the answer. i really need help.

Hi notsogood ! Welcome to PF! :smile:

I take it you've got …
Andrew Mason said:

Well, first tidy it up by putting the unknowns on one side:

[tex]-\vec v_{pa}\sin (24^o)\,=\,\vec v_{al}\cos (x)[/tex]

[tex]-\vec v_{pa}\cos (24^o)\,-\,420\,=\,\vec v_{al}\sin (x)[/tex]​

And then … ? :smile:

tiny-tim said:
Hi notsogood ! Welcome to PF! :smile:

I take it you've got …

Well, first tidy it up by putting the unknowns on one side:

[tex]-\vec v_{pa}\sin (24^o)\,=\,\vec v_{al}\cos (x)[/tex]

[tex]-\vec v_{pa}\cos (24^o)\,-\,420\,=\,\vec v_{al}\sin (x)[/tex]​

And then … ? :smile:
ok simultanious equations yee? well i only did general maths and i am in progress of learning 2 unit. soo b=xy but x and y are unkown soo my knowledge is limited to be able to solve equations which really gets on my nerves. i understand the problem but just cannot work it out. is there another way to solve it. another approach?

Hi notsogood! :smile:

The only unknowns are val and x.

There are two unknowns, and so you need to get rid of one of them.

So …

Hint: divide one equation by the other.

Or square both equations, and then add them. :smile:

What is relative motion?

Relative motion refers to the movement of an object in relation to another object. In the context of a light plane, it is the motion of the plane in relation to the ground or other objects in the surrounding environment.

How does relative motion affect a light plane?

Relative motion can affect a light plane in several ways. For example, if the plane is flying in the same direction as the wind, it will experience less resistance and therefore fly faster. On the other hand, if the plane is flying against the wind, it will experience more resistance and fly slower. Additionally, relative motion can affect the stability and control of the plane, especially in turbulent or windy conditions.

What factors influence relative motion in a light plane?

Several factors can influence relative motion in a light plane, including wind speed and direction, air density, and other external forces such as turbulence or gravity. The speed and direction of the plane itself also play a significant role in determining its relative motion.

How is relative motion of a light plane calculated?

The relative motion of a light plane can be calculated using basic principles of physics, such as the laws of motion and vector analysis. Pilots also use instruments such as airspeed indicators, altimeters, and heading indicators to measure and track the plane's relative motion.

Can relative motion be manipulated by a pilot?

Yes, relative motion can be manipulated by a pilot through various techniques such as adjusting the plane's speed and heading, using flaps or other control surfaces, and making use of wind currents and other external forces. However, pilots must also be aware of the potential risks and limitations of manipulating relative motion in a light plane.