Change the contents of a file into a string

In summary, the conversation involves a student asking for help with their code in an elementary Java course. The code is meant to print the contents of a previously created file and the student needs to transform the information into a String to access specific aspects of it. The idea of using a search for a certain element is suggested as a potential solution.
JaysFan31
Hi. I'm in an elementary Java course and I wrote the following code to print the contents of a file I created earlier:

Code:
public static void load(String fileName) throws IOException
  {    
    try
    {      
      Scanner fileScan = new Scanner(new File(fileName));      
      while (fileScan.hasNext())
      {
        System.out.println(fileScan.nextLine());
      }
    }        
    catch (FileNotFoundException exception)
      {
        System.out.println("The file was not found.");
      }
  }

It prints (correctly) the following lines of the file:
Flight Number: 1234
From: Lester B. Pearson International Airport (YYZ): Toronto, Ontario
To: Not Set
7 passenger(s):

Name: Roy Halladay

Name: AJ Burnett

Name: Dustin McGowan

Name: Shaun Marcum

Name: Josh Towers

Name: Casey Janssen

Name: Jeremy Accardo

This represents a particular flight in a class I wrote before. I need to use this information to create a Flight object. I just need to know if there is an easy way to transform (using elementary Java code) all this information into a String so that I can get particular aspects of it. Basically, I need to get the flight number "1234" as a String. I need to get the original airport etc as Strings. Can I do this?

Technology news on Phys.org
Is there some way in java to search for a certain element? If so, you could search for the ": " that you have in front of each data item you (I think) are looking for. Anyway, just a random idea. Have a nice day.

fileScan.nextLine() is already a String.

1. How do I change the contents of a file into a string?

To change the contents of a file into a string, you can use a programming language such as Python, Java, or C++. Each language has its own specific method for reading and converting file contents into a string.

2. Can I change the contents of a file into a string without using a programming language?

No, changing the contents of a file into a string requires some form of programming or scripting. This is because a file is a collection of bytes and needs to be interpreted and manipulated by a program in order to be converted into a string.

3. Is it possible to convert the contents of a binary file into a string?

Yes, it is possible to convert the contents of a binary file into a string. However, the resulting string may not be readable or meaningful as binary files contain non-textual data. Special encoding or decoding techniques may be required to properly convert the binary data into a string.

4. How can I modify the string representation of a file without changing the actual file contents?

To modify the string representation of a file without changing the actual file contents, you can use a temporary string variable to store the modified string. This way, the changes will only be reflected in the temporary variable and not in the actual file.

5. Can I change the string representation of a file without affecting its format or structure?

Yes, it is possible to change the string representation of a file without affecting its format or structure. This can be done by using string manipulation techniques to modify the string without altering the underlying file contents. However, it is important to ensure that the modified string is still in a valid format for the file to maintain its structure.