Photon scattering with a moving electron

In summary, the conversation discusses the problem of deriving a formula for the Compton equation when the electron is moving in the same direction as the incident photon. After several attempts, it is suggested to do the calculation in the frame where the electron is at rest and then transform to the original frame. Alternatively, one can use the Thomson and Klein-Nishina scattering formulas for lower and higher velocities, respectively. The individual thanks the other for their input and mentions struggling with the problem in the rest-frame of earth.
wakko101
Hello,

The problem I have is trying to derive a formula for the compton equation, but instead of having the electron at rest, it is moving in the same direction as the incident photon. I've tried deriving it in the same manner as deriving it for an electron at rest (ie. I've simply made the change that the initial momentum and energy of the electron is no longer 0, with electron initial and final energies being of the form E=sqrt(m^2c^4 + p^2c^2)), but it seems to me that doing so results in too many extra terms that don't cancel out.

Is there something I'm missing here?

Thanks,
W. =)

Physics news on Phys.org
Best to do the calculation in the frame where the electron is initially at rest, so that you can use the Compton scattering formula. Then transform to the original frame. Or, if you're comfortable with the derivation of the Compton scattering formula, just do the usual transform to the zero-momentum frame where things are easy, then back out.

genneth said:
Best to do the calculation in the frame where the electron is initially at rest, so that you can use the Compton scattering formula. Then transform to the original frame. Or, if you're comfortable with the derivation of the Compton scattering formula, just do the usual transform to the zero-momentum frame where things are easy, then back out.

Thanks for your post, I messed a lot with this problem trying to solve it in the rest-frame of earth.

Hi,
I think Thomson and Kleinn -Nishina scattering formulas appllies at lower and higher velocities respectively-see WIKI
Shankar

1. What is photon scattering with a moving electron?

Photon scattering with a moving electron is a phenomenon in which a photon (a particle of light) is deflected or scattered by an electron that is in motion. This scattering process can reveal information about the properties of the electron, such as its momentum and energy.

2. How does photon scattering with a moving electron occur?

Photon scattering with a moving electron occurs through the interaction between the photon's electric field and the electric and magnetic fields of the moving electron. This interaction causes the photon to change direction and energy as it passes near the electron.

3. What are the applications of studying photon scattering with a moving electron?

Studying photon scattering with a moving electron has many practical applications, such as in medical imaging and materials science. It can also provide insights into the fundamental properties of matter and help us understand the behavior of particles at a subatomic level.

4. How is photon scattering with a moving electron studied?

Photon scattering with a moving electron is studied using sophisticated experimental setups and theoretical models. Scientists use high-energy particle accelerators and detectors to observe the scattering process and analyze the data to understand the behavior of the particles involved.

5. What are the potential implications of photon scattering with a moving electron?

Photon scattering with a moving electron can have significant implications for our understanding of the universe and the development of new technologies. It can also contribute to advancements in fields such as quantum computing and nuclear energy. Additionally, studying this phenomenon can lead to new discoveries about the nature of matter and energy.