Calculating Group Velocity of Schrodinger Waves: Dispersion Relation

In summary, the group velocity of a wave traveling through a dispersive medium is a function of frequency.
Euclid
The group velocity of traveling wave is defined as [tex] v_g =\partial \omega/\partial k[/tex]. I am confused about how to actually calculate this. For instance, in the Schrodinger equation, we find that plane waves solve the equation provided that
[tex] \omega = k^2 \hbar/2m[/tex]
Does this mean that the group velocity of "Schrodinger waves" is [tex] k\hbar/m[/tex]? Won't this in general depend on the amplitude of the frequency components of a given wave?
Given a specific solution to the wave equation how does one answer the question, what is the group velocity of this wave?

Edit: related question...
In elementary texts, it is shown how the superposition of two sine waves of equal amplitude and phase but slightly different frequency and speed gives rise to a "traveling envelope", the speed of which we associate with the group velocity. How do we know in general that that superposition of waves gives rise to a well defined envelope?

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Euclid said:
The group velocity of traveling wave is defined as [tex] v_g =\partial \omega/\partial k[/tex]. I am confused about how to actually calculate this. For instance, in the Schrodinger equation, we find that plane waves solve the equation provided that
[tex] \omega = k^2 \hbar/2m[/tex]
Does this mean that the group velocity of "Schrodinger waves" is [tex] k\hbar/m[/tex]?
Yes.

Won't this in general depend on the amplitude of the frequency components of a given wave?
Not sure what you are asking, but in general, the group velocity of a wave traveling through a dispersive medium is a function of frequency.

Given a specific solution to the wave equation how does one answer the question, what is the group velocity of this wave?
Just as above, take the dispersion relation in its standard form, and find its derivative.

Last edited:
Ah now I've confused myself. I guess I mean to say that a given wave may be composed of many wavelength components. So for what k do I evaluate the group velocity equation [tex] v_g = k\hbar/m[/tex]?

Ok here's an example to illustrate my confusion. Take a plane wave:
[tex] \Psi(x,t) = A e^{i(kx-\omega t)}[/tex]
It's phase velocity is [tex] \omega/k=\hbar k/2m[/tex]. But its "group" velocity should be the same thing, no?

No, it's group velocity will be twice that number (and equal to the classical speed of the "free particle" described by the plane wave).

Gokul43201 said:
No, it's group velocity will be twice that number (and equal to the classical speed of the "free particle" described by the plane wave).

But that doesn't make any sense to me. What envelope is involved here?

In particular, I am really interested in finding out the details behind what's hinted at here:
https://www.physicsforums.com/showthread.php?t=173138
Where does the Fourier transform come into this?

Euclid said:
Ah now I've confused myself. I guess I mean to say that a given wave may be composed of many wavelength components. So for what k do I evaluate the group velocity equation [tex] v_g = k\hbar/m[/tex]?
Typically the centre value or the mean value for k is used, keeping in mind that the expression for the group velocity is only valid where the spread of values for k is small compared to the central/mean value of k.

Regarding the Fourier variables, I'm not exactly sure what Meir Achuz was alluding to but I suspect that it might be linked to the fact that w and t are Fourier conjugate variables, as are k and x. The Fourier relationship between these variables is the key between obtaining an expression for velocity (i.e. x/t) in terms of w and k.

Claude.

1. How is group velocity calculated for Schrodinger waves?

The group velocity of Schrodinger waves can be calculated using the dispersion relation, which relates the wave vector (k) to the angular frequency (ω) of the wave. The group velocity is given by the derivative of the dispersion relation with respect to k. In other words, it is the rate of change of the wave vector with respect to the angular frequency.

2. What is the significance of calculating group velocity for Schrodinger waves?

The group velocity is an important concept in quantum mechanics as it represents the speed at which a wave packet, or a localized wave, travels. It also gives information about the behavior of the wave in a medium, such as how it spreads or disperses. Additionally, the group velocity is related to the energy and momentum of the wave, making it a fundamental quantity in understanding quantum systems.

3. How does the dispersion relation affect the group velocity of Schrodinger waves?

The dispersion relation dictates the relationship between the wave vector and the angular frequency of a wave. It is a fundamental property of a medium and can vary depending on the system. The shape of the dispersion relation can affect the group velocity, as well as other properties of the wave, such as wavelength and frequency.

4. Can the group velocity of Schrodinger waves exceed the speed of light?

No, the group velocity of Schrodinger waves, like all other quantum waves, cannot exceed the speed of light. This is a fundamental principle of relativity and is supported by experimental evidence. The group velocity may approach the speed of light in certain systems, but it can never exceed it.

5. How does the group velocity of Schrodinger waves relate to the de Broglie wavelength?

The de Broglie wavelength is a fundamental concept in quantum mechanics that relates the momentum of a particle to its wavelength. The group velocity of Schrodinger waves is directly proportional to the de Broglie wavelength, meaning that as the group velocity increases, the de Broglie wavelength decreases. This relationship plays a crucial role in understanding the behavior of particles at the quantum level.