Intro Chem vs Gen Chem: My Experience and Tips for Success

• Thread starter MichaelXY
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Chem Intro
In summary, the speaker is seeking advice on whether to take a more challenging chemistry course, General Chem, after struggling with Intro to Chemistry. They also mention their plans to take other courses and are asking for opinions. The reply suggests checking the syllabus and talking to instructors for more information.
MichaelXY
Hope I am posting this question in the correct forum, I was not sure as there are so many. Anyways, I am in finals week for Intro to Chemistry class. It really put me through the ringer, I mean I had a hard time in this class, and yes I studied. Now I need to take Chem 200 or General Chem, and I am somewhat of in a panic. I know Gen Chem must be way more difficult, than Intro chem. Has anyone else had a hard time with Intro Chem but lived through Gen Chem? I also am planning to take Microbio, and pre-calc. Any opinions, or should I run to the nearest Business Dept?

Thanks

Physics news on Phys.org
It depends entirely on your institution - you need to look at a syllabus and course textbook. What is called an intro/general course varies so much.

Can you talk to the lectures/tutors ?

for sharing your experience with Intro Chem and your concerns about moving on to General Chem. I can assure you that the transition from Intro Chem to General Chem is a common and expected progression in the study of chemistry. While Intro Chem may have been challenging for you, it has provided you with a strong foundation for General Chem. The key to success in any science course is to stay organized, stay on top of the material, and seek help when needed. Don't let your experience with Intro Chem discourage you from pursuing your interest in chemistry and other related fields. With hard work and determination, you can succeed in General Chem and beyond. As for your concern about taking other courses, it's always a good idea to seek advice from your academic advisor to ensure a manageable workload. Best of luck in your future studies!

1) What is the difference between Intro Chem and Gen Chem?

The main difference between Intro Chem and Gen Chem is the level of depth and complexity. Intro Chem is typically a more basic and general overview of chemistry concepts, while Gen Chem dives deeper into specific topics and includes more math and calculations.

2) Which class should I take if I have no prior chemistry experience?

If you have no prior chemistry experience, it is recommended to take Intro Chem first. This will give you a solid foundation and understanding of basic chemistry concepts before moving on to more advanced material in Gen Chem.

3) How can I succeed in Intro Chem and Gen Chem?

To succeed in these classes, it is important to attend all lectures and actively participate in class. It is also helpful to regularly review and practice the material, as well as seek help from the professor or a tutor if needed.

4) Is it necessary to have a strong math background for these classes?

A basic understanding of math is necessary for both Intro Chem and Gen Chem, but a strong math background is not required. These classes typically cover the necessary math concepts as they relate to chemistry, and extra help is usually available for students who may need it.

5) What are some tips for success in these classes?

Some tips for success in Intro Chem and Gen Chem include staying organized, asking questions, and actively participating in class. It is also important to practice and review the material regularly, and seek help from resources such as office hours, tutoring, and study groups.