Induction to prove an inequality

In summary, the proposition states that for all x in the interval 0 ≤ x ≤ π and a nonnegative integer n, it is true that |sin(nx)| ≤ nsinx. This can be proven by considering the function sin(nx) and (nsinx) and using the fact that sin(nx) has a period of 2π/n and that sin(nx) will always have a smaller maximum value than (nsinx). Additionally, the function (nsinx) - |sin(nx)| can be shown to be strictly increasing on the interval (0, π/2n), proving that there are no other zeroes and thus proving the proposition.
ehrenfest

Homework Statement

For all x in the interval [tex] 0 \leq x \leq \pi [/tex], prove that [tex]|\sin{nx}| \leq n\sin{x}[/tex]
where n is a nonnegative integer.

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

It is obviously true for n=0. Assume this result is true for n=k. Then

[tex]|\sin(k+1)x| = |\sin kx \cos x + \sin x \cos kx | [/tex]

and I am not sure what to do with that. I think the fact that cosine is nonnegative in this interval might be useful.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
It seems like the next thing is to apply the triangle inequality:
[tex]|a + b| \leq |a| + |b|[/tex]

And cosine isn't nonnegative over that interval, sine is. But |cos| is less than or equal to one. Both of those will be useful.

Dick said:
And cosine isn't nonnegative over that interval, sine is. But |cos| is less than or equal to one. Both of those will be useful.

Yeah. I got it.

I suppose I might have just let this be, but I thought there might be a reasonably nice non-inductive proof for this proposition. I'd been thinking about this occasionally since this was posted and was finally able now to complete the step I was missing.

The function sin(nx) has a period 2(pi)/n and certainly equals
(n sin x) at x = 0 and x = pi. On the interval (0, pi), (n sin x) will complete a single non-negative half-cycle with its maximum y = n at x = (pi)/2 , while |sin(nx)| will have a set of n non-negative "bumps" with unit amplitude. The first local maximum for |sin(nx)| occurs at
x = (pi)/2n , while (n sin x) will have reached the value
[n sin({pi}/2n)] > 1 . (In fact, in the limit as n approaches infinity, the ratio of the values of these two functions at that point approaches (pi)/2 .) So we can conclude that (n sin x) > |sin(nx)| for the interval ( {pi}/2n , {(2n-1)·pi}/2n ).

It remains to show that this same inequality holds on (0, (pi)/2n) ; a similar argument will hold on ( {(2n-1)·pi}/2n , pi ) by symmetry. Consider the function f(x) = (n sin x) - |sin(nx)| = (n sin x) - sin(nx) on this interval. We already know f(0) = 0 and f( {pi}/2n ) > 0 , so we want to assure that there are no other zeroes for f(x) in the interval. We find

f'(x) = (n cos x) - (n cos(nx) ) = n·( cos x - cos (nx) ) .

Since we have integral n > 1 , we can just look at cos x - cos (nx) . But, by the sum-to-product trigonometric relations,

cos x - cos (nx) =

-2 · sin[ {(n+1)/2}·x ] · sin[ {(1-n)/2}·x ] =

2 · sin[ {(n+1)/2}·x ] · sin[ {(n-1)/2}·x ] > 0 .

So f(x) is only increasing on the interval ( 0 , (pi)/2n ), thus there are no zeroes there. Therefore, the proposition for the inequality holds everywhere on (0, pi).

Last edited:

1. How does induction work to prove an inequality?

Induction is a method of mathematical proof where we show that a statement is true for all natural numbers. To prove an inequality using induction, we first show that the statement is true for the smallest possible value. Then, we assume that the statement is true for some arbitrary value, and use this assumption to prove that it is also true for the next value. This process is repeated until we have shown that the statement is true for all natural numbers.

2. What is the base case in an induction proof?

The base case is the initial value for which we show that the statement is true. In the case of proving an inequality, the base case is typically the smallest possible value, such as 0 or 1.

3. What is the inductive hypothesis in an induction proof?

The inductive hypothesis is the assumption that the statement is true for some arbitrary value. In an induction proof, we use the inductive hypothesis to prove that the statement is also true for the next value.

4. How do we use the inductive hypothesis to prove an inequality?

We use the inductive hypothesis to make an assumption about the next value in the inequality. This assumption, combined with our knowledge that the statement is true for the current value, allows us to show that the statement is also true for the next value. This process is repeated until we have shown that the statement is true for all natural numbers.

5. What is the role of the induction step in an induction proof?

The induction step is the process of using the inductive hypothesis to prove that the statement is also true for the next value. This step is crucial in showing that the statement is true for all natural numbers, as it allows us to extend our proof from one value to the next.