Nanowire and thin film magnetisme

In summary, the conversation discusses the differences in energy of anisotropy between bulk, thin-film, and nanowire systems. The speaker mentions that the change in anisotropy has been studied in different heterostructure systems and that there was a talk on this at a recent APS March Meeting. They also speculate on other possible effects in low-dimensional systems such as strain fields, RKKY-like interactions, and possible structural and thermal fluctuations. The last part of the conversation focuses on the different types of magnetic anisotropy in a solid, including crystal structure, magnetization and demagnetization fields, and interface anisotropy. The speaker notes that the latter does not exist in bulk systems but is present in nan
physicist888
hi there
im searching for an answer about matter magnetism.
actualy, i need to know which energies of anisotropy are so different betwen the bulk and a thin-film .
then i need to know which energy of anisotropy is so different between a nanowire and a thin-film.
10x for your repply

Physics news on Phys.org
none know about thin-films?

The change in anisotropy as a function of thickness has been studied by several groups in different heterostructure systems. There was a talk on this in one of the recent APS March Meetings, but I don't remember anything about it.

Isn't it just due to the "usual" reasons?
I.e. bulk means a 3D system, a thin film (thinner than the relevant length scale, usually some sort of correlation length) a 2D system and in a nanowire a 1D system?
I don't know very much about magnetism, but that is the way it works with e.g. superconductivity.

I don't know much eaither - not even enough to know if the "usual" reasons are all there is to it, though I suspect not. With magnetic systems, an important length scale is the size of a magnetic domain. When the sample thickness approaches this value, things begin to change. But in addition, there's all kinds of other effects in low-dimensional systems coming from strain fields, RKKY-like interactions in heterostuctures, possible metal-insulator transitions with changing thickness, possible structural transitions and I imagine, a lowering of the Curie Temperature as you get to fewer and fewer atomic layers in the thin film due to the competition from thermal fluctuations becoming more important - I really don't know anything about these.

The last part is very loose speculation from me - a guess, based on what the Mermin-Wagner theorem has to say about LRO in truly 2D systems. I imagine this should apply to superconductivity as well.

actually there are many type of magnetic anisotropy in a solid. the first is related to the crystal structure of the solid ( hexagonal, tetragonal...etc) and the sort of thi energy is the interaction LS.
the second anisotrpy is due to the interaction betwen the magnetisation and the demagnetisation Field.
the third is the interface anisotropy due to the superposision of many thin-films the one over the other.
the last one ( interfaces) dosent exist in the case of bulk, so its equal zero in the case of bulk.
but, in the case of nanowire, if we would like to compare the different energies between a nanowire and a ultra thin-film, i don't know. infact this is my question...

1. What are nanowires and thin film magnetism?

Nanowires are extremely thin wires with a diameter on the nanoscale, typically less than 100 nanometers. Thin film magnetism refers to the magnetic properties of thin films, which are layers of material that are only a few nanometers to micrometers thick.

2. How are nanowires and thin films used in research?

Nanowires and thin films are used in a variety of research areas, including electronics, sensors, and energy storage. They also have potential applications in medicine and biotechnology.

3. What makes nanowires and thin films unique compared to other materials?

Nanowires and thin films have unique properties due to their small size and high surface-to-volume ratio. They can exhibit different physical, chemical, and magnetic properties compared to bulk materials.

4. How are nanowires and thin films fabricated?

Nanowires and thin films can be fabricated through various methods, such as chemical vapor deposition, electroplating, and sputtering. These techniques allow for precise control over the size, shape, and composition of the structures.

5. What are the potential applications of nanowires and thin films?

Nanowires and thin films have potential applications in a wide range of fields, such as electronics, data storage, medicine, and energy. They can also be used in developing new technologies, such as quantum computing and nanosensors.