Factorising a cubic polynomial

Just do it! Once you have the quotient, you can easily factor that remaining quadratic polynomial. In summary, the conversation discusses a cubic polynomial and its factorization. The factor theorem is mentioned, and an attempt at factoring the polynomial using the (x-a)(x-b)(x-c) form is made. The correct method of using long division or synthetic division is suggested, and the use of Horner's scheme is also mentioned. The conversation concludes with the realization that the polynomial must be divided by the given factor in order to obtain a quadratic polynomial that can be easily factored.
PlasmaSphere
1. A cubic polynomial is given by (f)x = x3 + x2 - 10x + 8

1) i) Show that (x -1) is a factor of f(x)

ii) Factorise f(x) fully

iii) Sketch the graph

2. Factor theorem?

3. Attempt at solution

i) I know that f(1) = 0, so (x - 1) is a factor of (f)x = x3 + x2 - 10x + 8

ii) I think i am correct in saying that since you know (x - 1) is a factor you can write it like this; ( x-1 )( x2 - 10x + 8 ), i just don't know where to go from there. I don't think you can factorise x2 - 10x + 8 any further?

I presume that by factorising fully, they mean in the form (x-a)(x-b)(x-c), i just can't seem to get there.

Physics news on Phys.org
i) is correct

ii) is not because you cannot just jump to that answer. To get the factored form, you must divide f(x) by x-1 either by long division or synthetic division and then get the other factor.

PlasmaSphere said:
1. A cubic polynomial is given by (f)x = x3 + x2 - 10x + 8

1) i) Show that (x -1) is a factor of f(x)

ii) Factorise f(x) fully

iii) Sketch the graph

2. Factor theorem?

3. Attempt at solution

i) I know that f(1) = 0, so (x - 1) is a factor of (f)x = x3 + x2 - 10x + 8

ii) I think i am correct in saying that since you know (x - 1) is a factor you can write it like this; ( x-1 )( x2 - 10x + 8 ), i just don't know where to go from there. I don't think you can factorise x2 - 10x + 8 any further?
How did you get that? Just by dropping the x3? Now you know that's not right! As Plasmasphere said, you could divide [itex]x^ x^2- 10x+ 8[/itex] by x-1. Or you can "work backwards. You want to find [itex]ax^2+ bx+ c[/itex] so that [itex](x-1)(ax^2+ bx+ c)= x^3+ x^2- 10x+ 8[/itex]. Obviously, since [itex]x(x^2)= x^3[/itex] and [itex]-1(-8)= 8[/itex], a= 1, c= -8 (NOT +8!). Okay, multiply out [itex](x-1)(x^2+ bx- 8)= x^3+ x^2- 20x+ 8[/itex] to see what b must be.

I presume that by factorising fully, they mean in the form (x-a)(x-b)(x-c), i just can't seem to get there.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Polynomial_long_division

Is the wiki page for the technique used in the link given by kbaumen.

You should divide the original polynomial by the given factor; that would leave you with a quadratic polynomial, which you should be able to factor without any difficulty.

Thanks for all the help, i used the working backwards method, and i got the right answer according to the answer booklet, the sketch for part iii) was easy too.

I'm not sure why i thought that i could write it as; ( x-1 )( x2 - 10x + 8 ), if you expand that it clearly will never give the correct answer. I was jumping two steps ahead.

Cheers, those pages on polynomial long division should be helpful in the future too.

Last edited:
HallsofIvy said:
Okay, multiply out [itex](x-1)(x^2+ bx- 8)= x^3+ x^2- 20x+ 8[/itex] to see what b must be.

I don't understand that step (?) just curious how you got there

Last edited:
If you are wondering about the "20x", that was a typo. The right hand side should be just the original polynomial, [itex]x^3+ x^2-10x+ 8[/itex].

silver-rose said:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Polynomial_long_division

Is the wiki page for the technique used in the link given by kbaumen.

You should divide the original polynomial by the given factor; that would leave you with a quadratic polynomial, which you should be able to factor without any difficulty.

Actually I meant the Horner's scheme to be used for factorizing the equation. Sorry, if I made that unclear.

What if we take division of the polynomial ?
( x3 + x2 - 10x + 8 ) / ( x-1)

Kenny09 said:
What if we take division of the polynomial ?
( x3 + x2 - 10x + 8 ) / ( x-1)

Yes, that's already been discussed in several responses.

1. What is Factorising a Cubic Polynomial?

Factorising a cubic polynomial involves breaking it down into a product of simpler polynomials, ideally to the point of linear and quadratic factors. A cubic polynomial is of the form ax³ + bx² + cx + d, where a, b, c, and d are constants, and the goal is to express it in the form (px + q)(rx + s)(tx + u) or a similar product.

2. What are the Common Methods for Factorising a Cubic Polynomial?

Common methods include grouping, synthetic division, and using the Rational Root Theorem to find possible rational roots. Once a root is found, it can be used to divide the polynomial and reduce it to a quadratic, which can then be factored further using methods like the quadratic formula, completing the square, or simple factorization.

3. How Do You Determine the Roots of a Cubic Polynomial?

Roots of a cubic polynomial can be found using numerical methods like the Newton-Raphson method, graphing, or by finding rational roots using the Rational Root Theorem. The theorem suggests that any rational root, expressed as a fraction p/q, will have p as a factor of the constant term d, and q as a factor of the leading coefficient a.

4. Is There a Formula for Solving Cubic Polynomials?

Yes, there is a general formula for solving cubic equations, known as Cardano's formula. However, this formula is complex and not often used in basic algebra due to its complexity. It involves the use of complex numbers even for polynomials with real roots.

5. What Role Do Graphs Play in Factorising Cubic Polynomials?

Graphs can provide a visual representation of a cubic polynomial. By graphing the polynomial, one can estimate the roots (x-intercepts) and critical points. This visual aid can help in understanding the behavior of the polynomial and in making educated guesses about potential factors.

6. Can Technology Assist in Factorising Cubic Polynomials?

Yes, various mathematical software and calculators are equipped to factorise cubic polynomials. These tools can provide solutions that might be difficult to calculate manually. They are particularly useful for polynomials with complex or irrational roots, or when high accuracy is required.