Proving a Function is Rieman Integrable

• Thread starter SNOOTCHIEBOOCHEE
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Function
In summary, the conversation discusses the proof of integrability of a bounded function using the definition of integrability. It involves finding a partition for which the upper sum is less than a given epsilon value. The partition is chosen such that the maximum value of the area of the graph is less than epsilon/2.
SNOOTCHIEBOOCHEE

Homework Statement

Prove that
f(x) = 1 x (element) E = {1/n : n (element) N}
0 x (element) [0,1]\E
is integrable on [0, 1] by using the definition of integrability

Homework Equations

Definition of Integrability: Let f be a bounded function. for each epsilon greater than 0 there exists a partition P such that. U(f,P)- L(f,P)< epsilon

The Attempt at a Solution

Fix [tex]\epsilon[/tex] >0

I think that for any partition P, L(f,P) is gunna be zero. Since mk will always be 0 for all k.

so all we need to do is find a partition P such that U(f,P) < [tex]\epsilon[/tex]

i could be completely wrong up to this step, and even if I am not, i don't know how to go about choosing P. HELP MEH PLZ!

Physics news on Phys.org
A partition of [0,1] may have the form {0,1/k,t_1,...,t_s = 1}. On [0,1/k] sup(f)=1. On [1/k,1] there are now only a finite number of elements for which f = 1, namely, x = 1,1/2,1/3,...,1/k. If you choose k large enough so that 1/k < [itex] \epsilon/2 [/itex] and you have a finite number of elements remaining for which f = 1, you need to make sure that the subintervals surrounding 1,...1/(k-1) can also have a total summed length < [itex] \epsilon/2 [/itex]. I leave the rest to you.

Ok I am still having trouble with this.

from what i can tell the picture looks like this: http://i31.photobucket.com/albums/c373/SNOOTCHIEBOOCHEE/Graph.jpg

Sorry for the crude drawing.

Anyways. so 1/k <epsilon/2

that means that the whole area from [0,1/k] must be < epsilon/2. I understand this and can write it out using sigma notation...

Now choosing the the intervals around the other parts are proving to be difficult for me. I know they have to sum up to be less than Epsilon/2.

So what i am thinking is that if we make the with of the partitions epsilon/k, that the maximum value of the area of the graph will also be epsilon/2. Is this correct?

Close. I think you want to make sure that the subintervals have length less than [itex] \epsilon/2k [/itex].

ya that's what i meant. Thank you sir.

1. What is the definition of Riemann Integrability?

The Riemann Integral is a mathematical concept that describes the area under a curve on a graph. It is defined as the limit of a sum of areas of rectangles that approximate the curve.

2. How do you prove that a function is Riemann Integrable?

To prove that a function is Riemann Integrable, you must show that the upper and lower Riemann sums converge to the same value as the partition size approaches zero. This can be done using the Riemann Integral definition and various theorems and techniques.

3. What are some common techniques for proving Riemann Integrability?

Some common techniques for proving Riemann Integrability include using the Riemann Integral definition, the Fundamental Theorem of Calculus, and the Intermediate Value Theorem. Other techniques include using properties of continuous functions, monotonicity, and the squeeze theorem.

4. Can a function be Riemann Integrable on a closed interval but not on an open interval?

Yes, a function can be Riemann Integrable on a closed interval but not on an open interval. This is because the definition of Riemann Integrability only applies to closed intervals, and the endpoints of an open interval are not included in the calculations.

5. How does Riemann Integrability differ from other types of integrals?

Riemann Integrability differs from other types of integrals, such as Lebesgue Integrability, in its approach to calculating the area under a curve. Riemann Integrability uses a partition of the interval and calculates the sum of the areas of rectangles, while Lebesgue Integrability uses a more abstract measure theory approach.