Restoring Torque in a physical pendulum?

In summary, the restoring force in a physical pendulum is also provided by gravity, which acts through the center of mass in both cases. The concept of torque also applies in this case, as it is the lever arm product of force. However, there are three additional factors to consider in a physical pendulum: air friction, apparatus friction, and the non-applicability of \sin{(\theta)} \approx \theta. Further clarification of the question would be helpful.
kthouz
I know that in the simple pendulum there is a rextoring force created by the gravity. My question now is, when we take the case of the physical (real) pendulum there is an other stuff which come in "the restorung torque" how is this created. What is infact its axis of rotion?

Physics news on Phys.org
I'm not sure I understand your question. Gravity provides the restoring force in a physical pendulum just like it does in a simple pendulum. (Gravity acts through the center of mass in both cases.)

kthouz said:
I know that in the simple pendulum there is a rextoring force created by the gravity. My question now is, when we take the case of the physical (real) pendulum there is an other stuff which come in "the restorung torque" how is this created. What is infact its axis of rotion?

All motion can be interpreted as rotation along a particular axis [this motion, however needs to occur in an infinitesimally small period of time dt].

So, when you mean that gravity provides the restoring force, well.. it is also providing a restoring torque. It just depends on which way you see it. Torque after all is the lever arm product of force.

In a real pendulum, we have three extra differences: The viscous force of air [air friction], friction in apparatus and the non-applicability of [itex]\sin{(\theta)} \approx \theta[/itex]

also.. it'd be better if you could clarify your question.

1. What is restoring torque in a physical pendulum?

Restoring torque is the force that acts on a physical pendulum, causing it to return to its equilibrium position after being displaced. It is created by the weight of the pendulum's mass and the force of gravity.

2. How does the length of a physical pendulum affect the restoring torque?

The length of a physical pendulum directly affects the restoring torque. A longer pendulum will have a greater restoring torque than a shorter pendulum because the weight of the mass will act over a longer distance, creating a larger force.

3. What factors can affect the restoring torque of a physical pendulum?

Apart from the length of the pendulum, the restoring torque can also be affected by the mass of the pendulum, the angle of displacement, and the strength of gravity. These factors determine the size and direction of the restoring torque.

4. How does the restoring torque affect the motion of a physical pendulum?

The restoring torque plays a crucial role in the motion of a physical pendulum. It causes the pendulum to oscillate, or swing back and forth, with a constant period and amplitude. Without the restoring torque, the pendulum would not be able to return to its equilibrium position.

5. Can the restoring torque of a physical pendulum be increased?

Yes, the restoring torque of a physical pendulum can be increased by increasing the length of the pendulum, adding more weight to the mass, or increasing the angle of displacement. However, there is a limit to how much the restoring torque can be increased, as it is also dependent on the strength of gravity.