Should I Learn PHP Before C++ for University?

In summary, the conversation discusses various programming languages and their suitability for beginners. The experts recommend starting with Python for its easy-to-use and powerful features, while also mentioning other languages such as Ruby and Erlang. Java is also mentioned, but it is considered less popular and declining in popularity. Python is highly recommended for scientific computations and simulations, and is used by Google for their Apps product. The experts also mention that Python has a large community and plenty of resources available for learning and using the language. In conclusion, Python is a great language for beginners to start with, especially for scientific and technical tasks.
chroot said:
C++ is one of the most difficult languages in existence. Have you read the whole thread?

- Warren
Yes I have read the whole thread. However from my experience it was not too hard to learn. It is hard to master, but anything is.

Technology news on Phys.org
Well time to throw MY hat into the ring? I'm not sure about C++ or all of that other jazz, but after having practiced Python for some two weeks I can say I love it. It's easy to learn, and easy to put into practice -- in a few hours you'll know enough to make a script that hunts prime numbers, calculates your finances, or (if you should please) a phonebook.

It's fun learning -- everytime you understand a new concept, you can't help but think of all the programs you could make using the new technique.

I hate OOP. It's absolutely awful. Just learn BASIC, then C. Out of curiosity, which OS will you be using?

iamhere said:
I hate OOP. It's absolutely awful. Just learn BASIC,
Mr Knuth - is that you posting again?

My advice. Learn java if you want it to be your first language, but if you already progressing in C++, java going to make your head blow.

And yes, python is always the good choice unless you still use pentium 2 :p

c++ is a major headache if you don't want to be just a programmer, sr programmer, etc...
If you want to just go into IT/academia etc and want to program, it isn't necessary. I would also recommend python, it is what they teach at MIT for intro cs...
there is actually the whole class online for mit open courseware.

thing is you can use python for the web very easily... it goes into the lamp stack (p) ...but you could also use php/perl later on. It will teach you how programming works quicker than c++...

i struggled a bit with c++ is why I am saying this...sorry, I don't want to spend all my valuable time testing and debugging, I am not a CS major... I just need the job done fast. python was a breeze in comparison and gets the job done. php can also *get the job done down and dirty* quickly for the web...