Are there any common problems with previewing and posting on forums using Latex?

• Thread starter ScotchDave
  • Start date
In summary, Dave is experiencing trouble with the forum when trying to preview a post with Latex. This is a common problem and could possibly be due to the forum software not being able to handle a large amount of Latex in the preview. The suggested solution is to split the post into sections and preview each section separately before joining them together. It is also recommended to use fewer Latex commands to make equations clearer and potentially avoid preview problems. Other websites may also allow for previewing Latex.
ScotchDave
Hi, I'm having a bit of trouble with the forum, when I type up a post with Latex and I try to preview I can never get through, I get the 404 page and never anything else. Is this a common problem and is there anything I can do to fix it?

Dave

Physics news on Phys.org
ScotchDave said:
Hi, I'm having a bit of trouble with the forum, when I type up a post with Latex and I try to preview I can never get through, I get the 404 page and never anything else. Is this a common problem and is there anything I can do to fix it?

Dave

Hi Dave! :smile:

I occasionally get that. :frown:

I assume it's because the forum software can't handle as much LaTex in preview as it can in the actual post. :confused:

I suggest you make two or more copies of the Reply to Thread page, and split your post into sections, until you find you can preview each section.

Then, when each section is ok, join them all together, and click Submit Reply! :smile:

Good idea, thanks for that. I guess it might have something to do with the net here at work too...

Hi, I just wanted to say that: I was told to use fewer (tex)(\tex) commands, as it would make my equations clearer but when I did this there were no preview problems...

Thanks Guys

Dave

1. How do I preview my post before publishing it?

To preview your post before publishing it, simply click on the "Preview" button located next to the "Publish" button on the post editor screen. This will open a new tab or window where you can view your post as it will appear on your website.

2. Can I edit my post after previewing it?

Yes, you can edit your post after previewing it. The preview is just a way to see how your post will look on your website, but it does not publish the post. You can still make changes to your post and save it as a draft before publishing it.

3. How do I post my previewed post?

To post your previewed post, simply go back to the post editor screen and click on the "Publish" button. This will publish your post and make it live on your website. Alternatively, you can also schedule your post for a later date or save it as a draft for further editing.

4. Can I preview and post my post on a specific date and time?

Yes, you can schedule your post for a specific date and time by clicking on the "Edit" link next to "Publish immediately" on the post editor screen. This will allow you to select a date and time for your post to be published. Once you have selected a date and time, click on the "Schedule" button to save your changes.

5. Will previewing and posting affect my published posts?

No, previewing and posting will not affect your published posts. Previewing your post allows you to see how it will look on your website before publishing it, and posting it will only affect the specific post being previewed. Your published posts will remain unchanged unless you make edits to them separately.