Exploring Math and Science: A Deaf Student's Journey

• Thread starter jon855
  • Start date
In summary, the author was inspired to write "Exploring Math and Science: A Deaf Student's Journey" due to personal experiences and a desire to inspire and support other deaf students. Being deaf can present challenges in learning math and science, but with accommodations and support, deaf students can excel. Strategies such as providing written materials and using assistive listening devices can be helpful. Deaf individuals have made significant contributions to the math and science fields, and the author encourages deaf students to pursue their passions and seek out resources and mentorship.
jon855
Hello there,

My name is Jonathan which is quite clear from the indication of my username here 'jon855' and I have some unfounded interest in the area of math and science even though I suck at them badly. I hope that this forum will guide me into some areas and hopefully I'll get better in some section of math/science (probably math more than so science.) More about me, I'm deaf and has been since around 8 months old, no apologies needed here for this (I don't understand why people just have to apologize for this.) I'm currently 23 ongoing to 24 later this month. I just graduated from RIT with a crappy associate degree in a computer study field after five years of attending RIT. I'll offer one insight for you all who are about to go to college (Don't waste your time changing your major far too many times, select your area of interest and grind on it.)

Well I guess I'll call that a cheapstaked self-introduction :D

Physics news on Phys.org
Hi Jonathan and a warm welcome. Dunno about changing majors, anybody, who is digging deeper and deeper in his own goldmine of information looses the 'gods eye view' unaware what's going on in the other mines. But for finding the big picture, it can be helpful not to do the digging oneself but carefully overviewing what all others are doing.

Meanwhile, there is something fishy coming up.

Wecome, jonathan!

Hi Jonathan, nice to have you here.

Welcome to the forum Jonathan! And it is never too late to build upon the foundation you have laid.

My older daughter has just made the decision to change from a Computer Science major to one in medical research. This means that her advanced calculus class she worked so hard to ace doesn't count toward her new major and she needs statistics instead. She will spend next year taking the pre-requisite courses to attend med school. This sets her back quite a bit, but she realized it is what she wants.

Welcome to the forum Jonathan:smile:

1. What inspired you to write "Exploring Math and Science: A Deaf Student's Journey"?

As a deaf student myself, I have faced many challenges in pursuing my passion for math and science. I wanted to share my personal journey and experiences to inspire and support other deaf students who may also be interested in these fields.

2. How does being deaf affect a student's ability to learn math and science?

Being deaf can present unique challenges in learning math and science, as these subjects rely heavily on verbal communication and auditory cues. However, with the right accommodations and support, deaf students can excel in these subjects just like their hearing peers.

3. What are some strategies or accommodations that can help deaf students in math and science classes?

Some strategies that can help deaf students in math and science classes include providing written or visual materials, using assistive listening devices, providing sign language interpreters or captioning services, and allowing extra time for assignments and tests.

4. Can you share any success stories of deaf students in the math and science fields?

There are many successful deaf individuals in the math and science fields, such as Dr. Michelle Christie, a deaf chemist who has made significant contributions to the field of nanotechnology. There are also deaf mathematicians, engineers, and computer scientists who have made groundbreaking discoveries and advancements in their respective fields.

5. What advice do you have for deaf students who are interested in pursuing a career in math or science?

My advice would be to never let your deafness hold you back from pursuing your passions. Seek out resources and accommodations that can support your learning, and don't be afraid to ask for help when needed. Also, connect with other deaf individuals in the math and science fields for mentorship and support. With determination and hard work, you can achieve your goals in these fields.