Energy requirements between orbitals

In summary, the conversation discussed a problem with determining the atomic spectrum of hydrogen and calculating the energy required to move between orbitals. The answers received were 2>1 (ultraviolet) 10.2 EV, 3>2 (red) 1.9 EV, 4>2 (blue-green) 2.5 EV, 5>2 (violet) 2.9EV, and 6>2 (deep violet) 3 EV. The individual was confused by the fact that it takes the most energy to move an electron from the ground state to orbital 2, despite the belief that the energy required should decrease as the distance from the nucleus increases. The EV calculations were obtained using the
ChiliPanda

Homework Statement

I've already done all of the work, the answer I received just seemed odd, so a friend recommended I ask you guys to check over it. The problem was to determine the atomic spectrum of hydrogen and determine the energy (in EV) required to move between orbitals.
I got the following answers - 2>1 (ultraviolet) 10.2 EV, 3>2 (red) 1.9 EV, 4>2 (blue-green) 2.5 EV, 5>2 (violet) 2.9EV, and 6>2 (deep violet) 3 EV.

The thing that seemed "odd" to me is that it takes the most energy to move an electron from the ground state to orbital 2. I know that it takes energy to move electrons away from the nucleus because of the attraction force, but I always figured it would take more energy the further it was pulled away, such as when stretching out a rubber band, until the electron had so much energy that it could break off. Thus, I think somehow I messed up somewhere along the way.

Homework Equations

I got the EV calculations from the formula E=12400/λ, where λ is wavelength in angstroms which I got from a spectrometer.

Physics news on Phys.org
I don't know if the numbers are correct, but the pattern is. The spacings between energy levels do decrease as one gets farther from the nucleus (i.e. n increases). The way to think of it is that electrons are bound in an atom by the electric attraction to the positively charged nucleus. The strength of electrostatic attraction decreases with distance (remember Coulomb's law), so as the electron goes farther away from the nucleus, the easier it is to move it away.

thanks much for the confirmation!

What is the significance of energy requirements between orbitals?

The energy requirements between orbitals refer to the amount of energy needed for an electron to move from one orbital to another. This plays a crucial role in understanding the electronic structure and chemical behavior of atoms and molecules.

What factors affect the energy requirements between orbitals?

The energy requirements between orbitals are primarily determined by the distance between the orbitals, the charge of the nucleus, and the number of electrons in the atom or molecule. Other factors such as shielding and electron-electron repulsion may also play a role.

How is the energy difference between orbitals related to the energy of emitted or absorbed light?

The energy difference between orbitals is directly related to the energy of emitted or absorbed light. When an electron moves from a higher energy orbital to a lower energy orbital, it releases energy in the form of light. Similarly, when an electron absorbs energy from an external source, it moves to a higher energy orbital.

Why do electrons occupy specific orbitals and not any energy level in between?

Electrons occupy specific orbitals due to the principle of quantum mechanics which states that electrons can only exist in discrete energy levels. These energy levels correspond to specific orbitals, and electrons cannot exist in between them.

How do energy requirements between orbitals affect chemical reactions?

The energy requirements between orbitals play a crucial role in determining the stability and reactivity of molecules. Molecules with lower energy requirements between their orbitals are more stable and less likely to undergo chemical reactions, while molecules with higher energy requirements are more reactive and likely to undergo reactions.