Proving C(X) is a Banach Space for Compact Hausdorff X

In summary: It's not used at all. The Hausdorff property is not necessary for the proof of C(M) being a Banach space. In summary, the conversation discusses a claim that the space C(X) is a Banach space even without the assumption of a metric, and that the Hausdorff property is not necessary for the proof. The speaker also shares their proof for C(M) being a Banach space, which involves showing that it is a norm space and that a pointwise limit exists and is continuous. They also mention a mistake they made while reading about the claim.
jostpuur
I already know how to prove that if [tex]M[/tex] is a compact metric space, then

[tex]
C(M) = \{f\in \mathbb{C}^M\;|\; f\;\textrm{continuous}\}
[/tex]

with the sup-norm, is a Banach space, but now I encountered a claim, that actually metric is not necessary, and [tex]C(X)[/tex] is Banach space also when [tex]X[/tex] is a compact Hausdorff space.

My proof concerning [tex]C(M)[/tex] follows the following steps:
(1) Show that [tex]C(M)[/tex] is a norm space.
Let [tex]f_1,f_2,f_3,\cdots\in C(M)[/tex] be some Cauchy-sequence.
(2) Show that a pointwise limit [tex]f=\lim_{n\to\infty}f_n[/tex] exists in [tex]\mathbb{C}^M[/tex].
(3) Show that [tex]f[/tex] is continuous.
(4) Show that [tex]\|f-f_n\|\to 0[/tex] when [tex]n\to\infty[/tex].

All other steps work without metric, except the third one. This is how I did it:

Let [tex]x\in M[/tex] and [tex]\epsilon >0[/tex] be arbitrary. One has to find [tex]\delta >0[/tex] so that [tex]f(B(x,\delta))\subset B(f(x),\epsilon)[/tex]. First fix [tex]N\in\mathbb{N}[/tex] so that [tex]\|f_i-f_j\| < \epsilon / 3[/tex] for all [tex]i,j\geq N[/tex]. Then fix [tex]\delta > 0[/tex] so that [tex]f_N(B(x,\delta))\subset B(f_N(x),\epsilon /3)[/tex]. Then for all [tex]y\in B(x,\delta)[/tex]

[tex]
|f(x) - f(y)| \leq |f(x) - f_N(x)| \;+\; |f_N(x) - f_N(y)| \;+\; |f_N(y) - f(y)| < \epsilon
[/tex]

But how do you the same without the metric, with the Hausdorff property only?

Physics news on Phys.org
Whoops, I just realized that I have not encountered the claim, that C(X) would be a Banach space. I made a mistake when reading one thing...

Well, I'll be listening if somebody has something to say about the issue anyway :smile:

Last edited:
Just use open sets instead of balls; it all works out the same.

But because open sets don't have any natural radius, the radius cannot be divided by three either.

edit: Oooh... but the balls are in [tex]\mathbb{C}[/tex]!

ding ding ding :wink:

Oh, as an aside, do you know how the Hausdorff property is being used?

morphism said:
ding ding ding :wink:

Oh, as an aside, do you know how the Hausdorff property is being used?

No. Is it used at all?

Nope!

1. What is a Banach space?

A Banach space is a complete normed vector space. This means that it is a vector space equipped with a norm (a function that assigns a non-negative length or size to each vector) that satisfies the properties of completeness, meaning that every Cauchy sequence (a sequence in which the terms become arbitrarily close to each other as the sequence progresses) converges to a point in the space.

2. What does it mean for a space to be compact Hausdorff?

A compact Hausdorff space is a topological space that is both compact (meaning every open cover has a finite subcover) and Hausdorff (meaning that any two distinct points have disjoint neighborhoods). In other words, a compact Hausdorff space is a space that is both well-behaved and has a finite number of points.

3. How is compactness related to being a Banach space?

Compactness is not a necessary condition for a space to be a Banach space. However, in the context of proving that C(X) is a Banach space for compact Hausdorff X, compactness is important because it ensures that the space is well-behaved and has a finite number of points, making it easier to work with and prove properties about.

4. What is the significance of proving that C(X) is a Banach space for compact Hausdorff X?

This proof is significant because it establishes that the space of continuous functions on a compact Hausdorff space is a complete normed vector space. This is useful in many areas of mathematics and physics, as it allows for the use of tools and techniques from functional analysis to study these functions.

5. What are some common techniques used in proving that C(X) is a Banach space for compact Hausdorff X?

Some common techniques used in this proof include using the properties of compactness and Hausdorffness to show that C(X) is a normed vector space, and using the completeness of real numbers to show that C(X) is a complete space. Additionally, techniques from functional analysis, such as the use of uniform convergence, are often used to prove the continuity and linearity of operations on C(X).