Conceptual Parallel Plate Capacitor

In summary, the statements are: - When the distance between two oppositely charged, isolated parallel plates is doubled, the stored energy (U) remains unchanged. - Inserting a dielectric does not increase the charge (Q) on the plates. - When the distance is doubled, the capacitance (C) is halved. - Increasing the distance between the plates decreases the electric field (E). - Inserting a dielectric increases the capacitance (C). - When the distance is halved, the charge (Q) is halved. - Inserting a dielectric does not decrease the stored energy (U).
ncm2

Homework Statement

Which statements are correct/incorrect for two oppositely charged, isolated parallel plates: (C=capacitance, U=stored energy, +Q and -Q = charge on the plates).
Correct Incorrect When the distance is doubled, U is unchanged.
Correct Incorrect Inserting a dielectric increases Q.
Correct Incorrect When the distance is doubled, C is halved
Correct Incorrect Increasing the distance, decreases the E field.
Correct Incorrect Inserting a dielectric increases C.
Correct Incorrect When the distance is halved, Q is halved.
Correct Incorrect Inserting a dielectric decreases U.

Homework Equations

Below in my answers

The Attempt at a Solution

Now I don't know if I am misunderstanding the concept of Dielectrics or what, but this is what I believe:

A - I thought that this is false because PE = 1/2QV. And I know that the potential difference is dependant on r.
B - False because inserting a dielectric will not increase a charge.
C - True because C = (A/d)*constant
D - True because E = -Change in V/Change in X
E - True because the formula includes multiplying by a constant k.
F - False because Q = V*A*constant/d. Halving distance doubles Q
G - False. A dielectric is only an insualtor that can allow the capacitance to increase.

1. What is a conceptual parallel plate capacitor?

A conceptual parallel plate capacitor is a simple electronic device that stores electrical energy by creating an electric field between two parallel metal plates. It consists of two conductive plates separated by a dielectric material and connected to a power source.

2. How does a conceptual parallel plate capacitor work?

When a voltage is applied to the plates, one plate becomes positively charged and the other becomes negatively charged. This creates an electric field between the plates, and the energy is stored in the form of potential energy. The strength of the electric field is determined by the distance between the plates and the amount of charge on each plate.

3. What is the capacitance of a conceptual parallel plate capacitor?

The capacitance of a parallel plate capacitor is defined as the ratio of the electric charge on each plate to the voltage difference between the plates. It is measured in units of Farads (F). The capacitance of a parallel plate capacitor is directly proportional to the surface area of the plates and inversely proportional to the distance between them.

4. What is the dielectric material used in a conceptual parallel plate capacitor?

The dielectric material used in a parallel plate capacitor is a non-conductive material, such as air, paper, or plastic. Its purpose is to increase the capacitance of the capacitor by reducing the electric field between the plates. The dielectric material also prevents the plates from coming into direct contact with each other.

5. What are some real-world applications of conceptual parallel plate capacitors?

Parallel plate capacitors are commonly used in electronic circuits to store energy, filter signals, and block DC voltage. They are also used in power factor correction, energy storage systems, and in the tuning of radio and TV receivers. In addition, parallel plate capacitors are used in touchscreens, photocopiers, and defibrillators.