Grades & Career: Can a "B" Student Be a Professional Scientist?

In summary, the conversation discusses the importance of grades for getting into graduate school and their significance in indicating potential for success as a professional scientist. Some participants express concern about their grades and how it may affect their future career paths, while others offer reassurance and advice on how to focus on developing relevant skills and experiences. The conversation also touches on the grading system and its variations across different countries and institutions. Ultimately, the participants agree that continuous learning and passion for a subject are key to success in any field.
quasar_4
I realize grades are important for getting into graduate school, but how much do they really indicate one's potential to be a professional scientist?

If I were a "B" student, should I rethink my career path? I'm just feeling discouraged. I have no idea if I'll be able to succeed as a scientist or not. I mean, I think B's indicate enough intelligence to at least pursue graduate work, but I wonder if they mean I don't have the insight to ever do anything significant in my field. Especially since I'm in a very competitive field. :frown:

Any thoughts?

Physics news on Phys.org
In Chemistry your grades are important for getting into graduate school and then to a doctorate program ... however even with an MS most industries are not going to take into account your grades just the skills , awards , and publications.

Research publications atone for everything ... do well in research and your " B " is nonexistent. Obtain the skill sets that industry wants and you are going to be prepared for both sectors.

B is fine in most cases.

quasar_4 said:
I realize grades are important for getting into graduate school, but how much do they really indicate one's potential to be a professional scientist?

I got my results last night, i scored 65%, my worst ever score(topper is at 76 i guess). I was going to post a thread anyways, but now I suppose I should write in this one, as it pertains to me too.

It isn't that I am stupid, I had 3 industrial & production engineering subjects out of 5 subjects in my last semester(Mech Engg), i totally sucked in those 3 & scored in 50s out of 100 in all three, I don't even remember if I attended a single class. I scored 80s in all my practicals, but still my total result says 65.22%. That topper dude in my class was rejected by 4 companies in a row before getting a job. I was selected in all three companies I appeared for.

however even with an MS most industries are not going to take into account your grades just the skills , awards , and publications.
I hope it does so, I just completed a paper in refrigeration & started a new one. Is a research paper regarded anywhere close to a publication??

But still, I am feeling too much discouraged. that scorecard is still going to appear in my resume. What if I am asked to explain why i got sooo low?? won't it be tooo much negative if i say, I didn't like those subjects??

I'm not quite certain how it goes in engineering , just emphasize your research experience and the papers ... also research the company to know what type of skillsets to emphasize. Be enthusiastic about the topics and be confident about how much your skillsets are going to further the company. It may be necessary to acknowledge the grade however your enthusiasm may account for their concerns , be certain that the mentioning of this aspect is quick and don't mention it yourself. Switch topics after a brief explanation.

Einstein failed all his O'Levels. lol

Freddy_Turnip said:
Einstein failed all his O'Levels. lol

Nonsense.

Ignoring the obvious that Einstein was not British and that O-Levels were not instituted until a few years before his death, this is still not the case. Einstein tried to be admitted into ETH Zurich early, and was denied admission. He later tried for admission at the normal time and was accepted.

Is your 'B' grade not equal to a 2:1 degree at a Brit Uni? A 2:1 (60 to 69 %) is a good result surely?

I sympathise :( I'm in my first year, and though I'm doing well, it's through sheer hard work rather than anything else. I'm fine at applying what I already know, but I'm worried I'll lack the insight or lateral thinking for original research. I love physics and math and am having a brilliant time learning, but I'm thinking I'll probably end up as a technician or a teacher rather than a researcher. :(

Freddy_Turnip said:
Is your 'B' grade not equal to a 2:1 degree at a Brit Uni? A 2:1 (60 to 69 %) is a good result surely?

I want togo to your uni, 2:1 is 70-84% at mine, and first is 85+ :( lol

It will vary depending on your country and institution but as a guide, in the UK a final assesmnet grade of between 60% and 70% will earn an upper second class or "2:1" degree.

100-70% - 1:1 - First class degree
70-60% - 2:1 - Upper second class
60-50% - 2:2 - Lower second class
50-40% - 3rd - Third class degree
40-0% - F - Failed

snkk197 said:
I sympathise :( I'm in my first year, and though I'm doing well, it's through sheer hard work rather than anything else. I'm fine at applying what I already know, but I'm worried I'll lack the insight or lateral thinking for original research. I love physics and math and am having a brilliant time learning, but I'm thinking I'll probably end up as a technician or a teacher rather than a researcher. :(

no you wont, you are at the stage of learning. As you learn more, topics will come that will interest you & you ll feel like researching more about it. You ll gain deep insights about your interest topic & will be able to reason the occurrence of everything the way it is.

This has been happening to me since the latter half of second year.

Keep learning, its the best way ahead.

ank_gl said:
no you wont, you are at the stage of learning. As you learn more, topics will come that will interest you & you ll feel like researching more about it. You ll gain deep insights about your interest topic & will be able to reason the occurrence of everything the way it is.

This has been happening to me since the latter half of second year.

Keep learning, its the best way ahead.

Thanks. I suppose I shouldn't worry so early on - I'm only 2 1/2 months into my degree after all! If I keep working hard it'll eventually click and I'll start thinking more like a scientist and less like a differential equation solving robot :)

Freddy_Turnip said:
It will vary depending on your country and institution but as a guide, in the UK a final assesmnet grade of between 60% and 70% will earn an upper second class or "2:1" degree...

Yeah most are, the only ones in the UK I know that are different are Oxford, Cambridge, Open and possibly UCL although I'm not sure, which are all 80-85% for a first. Kinda sucks as if you mess up half a question and bang goes you first on that paper / assignment lol.

Oxford is not different as far as I know, those numbers look pretty familiar although I think they change slightly each year.

Well that makes me feel even worse :P lol

Theinvoker said:
Well that makes me feel even worse :P lol

Generally grades are scaled anyway in the UK, the median grade is always around 50, probably 55 for prestigious universities and 45 for less competitive ones.

1. Can a "B" student still become a professional scientist?

Yes, a "B" student can definitely become a professional scientist. Grades are not the only factor that determines success in a scientific career. Other qualities such as passion, determination, and research experience are also important.

2. Do employers place more value on grades or experience when hiring scientists?

Employers typically value experience and skills over grades when hiring scientists. While grades may demonstrate a certain level of academic achievement, hands-on experience and relevant skills gained through internships, research projects, and other opportunities are highly valued in the scientific industry.

3. Will a "B" average negatively impact my chances of getting into a good graduate program?

While a high GPA may be preferred for some graduate programs, a "B" average is generally considered a good academic standing and should not negatively impact your chances of getting into a good graduate program. Admissions committees also consider other factors such as research experience, letters of recommendation, and personal statements.

4. Can a "B" student still excel in a competitive scientific field?

A "B" student can certainly excel in a competitive scientific field. Success in a scientific career is not solely determined by grades, but also by other factors such as research experience, networking, and continuous learning. With dedication and hard work, a "B" student can achieve great success in a competitive scientific field.

5. Are there any successful scientists who were "B" students?

Yes, there are many successful scientists who were "B" students. Some examples include Nobel Prize-winning physicist Richard Feynman, chemist and inventor Stephanie Kwolek, and computer scientist and mathematician Alan Turing. These individuals demonstrate that grades do not define one's potential for success in a scientific career.