Flow problem with a two diemsional water flow divider

In summary, a two-dimensional water flow divider is shown in the sketch with varying flow rates and angles. The velocity at point C can be found by setting the total inflow equal to the outflow and solving for V. This can be done by using the equations for Mb out and Min and setting them equal to each other. A step by step solution can be found by following this approach.
psuaero
Question Details:

A two-dimensional water flow divider is shown in the sketch. The flow in through opening A varies linearly from 3 to 6 m/s and is inclined with angle α=45 degrees to the opening itself. The area of the A opening is .4m2 per unit depth, that of B is .2m2 per unit depth, and that of C is .15 m2 per unit depth. the flow at B, normal to the opening, varies linearly from 3 to 5 m/s; and the flow at C, normal to the opening is approximately uniform. Find velocity at C. I'm having difficult setting up the relation needed to solve the problem.

I've attached a figure for the problem.

I would appreciate a step by step solution. This is what I was thinking:

Min=Mb out +Mc out.

what expression would I use for Min and Mb out
I'm thinking Mc out would equal V*.45m2*cos(0)

would Mb out= integral from 0 to 4 of (x/2)+3 dx and
Min= integral from 0 to7 of (3x/7)+3dx

than just sove for V correct?

Attachments

• img004.jpg
    img004.jpg
    8.4 KB · Views: 388
Engineering news on Phys.org
Yes, that is correct. You can use the equations you wrote for Mb out and Min. To solve for V, you would set them equal to each other and solve for V.

1. What is a two dimensional water flow divider?

A two dimensional water flow divider is a hydraulic structure designed to split a water flow into two separate directions. It typically consists of a vertical wall or barrier with a curved or angled shape that redirects the water flow.

2. What is the purpose of a flow divider?

A flow divider is used to control and manage the flow of water in a system. It may be used to divert water to different areas for irrigation or flood control, or to regulate the flow of water in a channel or river.

3. What factors affect the efficiency of a flow divider?

The efficiency of a flow divider depends on several factors, including the shape and design of the structure, the velocity and volume of the water flow, and the surrounding terrain. The angle of the divider and the smoothness of its surface also play a role in its effectiveness.

4. How is the performance of a flow divider evaluated?

The performance of a flow divider is typically evaluated by measuring the flow rate and the direction of the water after it passes through the structure. The amount of water lost due to turbulence or spillage can also be used as an indicator of its efficiency.

5. What are some common challenges in designing a two dimensional water flow divider?

One of the main challenges in designing a flow divider is achieving a balance between efficiency and cost. Other factors such as sediment buildup, changes in water flow rate, and potential erosion or damage to the structure must also be taken into consideration during the design process.