Question about noether's theorem argument

In summary, given a lagrangian L[\phi] and a transformation \phi(x) \rightarrow \phi(x) + \epsilon \delta \phi(x) that leaves the lagrangian invariant, we can show that the change in the lagrangian is proportional to the derivative of \epsilon(x). This is because when the equations of motion are satisfied, all infinitesimal variations leave the action unchanged, and we can use this to argue that the form \partial_\mu \epsilon(x) is the correct one, rather than other possibilities. This can be seen through a Taylor expansion of the lagrangian and considering the first-order term. However, this method is not very intuitive and can make the theory seem more complicated than it
painfive
Given a lagrangian [itex]L[\phi][/itex], where [itex]\phi[/itex] is a generic label for all the fields of the system, a transformation [itex]\phi(x) \rightarrow \phi(x) + \epsilon \delta \phi(x)[/itex] that leaves the lagrangian invariant corresponds to a conserved current by the following argument.

If we were to send [itex]\phi(x) \rightarrow \phi(x) + \epsilon(x) \delta \phi(x) [/itex], this would not in general be a symmetry, but would be in the special case that [itex]\epsilon[/itex] is constant. Therefore*, the change in the lagrangian must be proportional to the derivative of [itex]\epsilon(x)[/itex], that is:

[tex] \delta L = j^\mu (x) \partial_\mu \epsilon(x) [/tex]

Now when the equations of motion are satisfied, all infinitessimal variations, symmetries or not, leave the action unchanges, so in this case we must have:

[itex] 0 = \delta S = \int d^4x j^\mu (x) \partial_\mu \epsilon(x) [/itex]

or, integrating by parts:

[itex] 0 = \int d^4x \epsilon(x) \partial_\mu j^\mu (x) [/itex]

Since [itex]\epsilon(x)[/itex] is arbitrary, this implies [itex] \partial_\mu j^\mu(x) = 0[/itex].

My problem is with the part marked by a *. Just because something vanishes when [itex]\epsilon[/itex] is constant, why should we expect the thing to be proportional to the dderivative of [itex]\epsilon(x)[/itex]? I could imagine other dependences. For example, the following things all vanish when [itex]\epsilon(x)[/itex] is constant:

[tex] (j^\mu \partial_\mu \epsilon(x) )^2 [/tex]

[tex] \partial^2 \epsilon(x) [/tex]

[tex] \epsilon(x+1) - \epsilon(x) [/tex]

I could go on. Granted, you could eliminate these examples individually, eg, the variation should be linear and local in [itex]\epsilon(x)[/itex], and by integrating by parts we can turn the middle one into the desired form. But there are other examples, and I'm wondering how we can argue for the form [itex]\partial_\mu \epsilon[/itex] directly rather than eliminating these other possibilities one by one.

Physics news on Phys.org
Try expanding L as a Taylor series in [itex](\epsilon \delta \phi)[/itex]. Then because [itex]\delta \phi[/itex] is by definition infinitesimal, the higher-order terms vanish.

Now, because you are looking at the change in L under infinitesimal variations, the zeroth-order term also vanishes. What you should be left with is the first-order term.

So the taylor expansion would have to be a sum over all terms of the form:

[tex] \Pi_{i, m_i, n_i} ({\partial_i}^{m_i} \epsilon(x) )^{n_i}[/tex]

where the product is over some subset of the values i, m_i, and n_i could take, and the sum would be over all such subsets. This is a pretty extreme generalization of taylors theorem. If it is true, then I guess we could argue we can ignore terms except those of the form:

[tex] {\partial_i}^{m_i} \epsilon (x) [/tex]

and then integrate by parts. This might be what they mean, but if so, it isn't very satisfying or intuitive, and they really skipped over a lot of details.

I'm actually the OP, I illegally had two user names, painfive is now gone. But I'd still like someone to tell me if this taylor's theorem argument is the way to go.

painfive said:
My problem is with the part marked by a *. Just because something vanishes when [itex]\epsilon[/itex] is constant, why should we expect the thing to be proportional to the dderivative of [itex]\epsilon(x)[/itex]? I could imagine other dependences. For example, the following things all vanish when [itex]\epsilon(x)[/itex] is constant:

[tex] (j^\mu \partial_\mu \epsilon(x) )^2 [/tex]

[tex] \partial^2 \epsilon(x) [/tex]

[tex] \epsilon(x+1) - \epsilon(x) [/tex]

I could go on. Granted, you could eliminate these examples individually, eg, the variation should be linear and local in [itex]\epsilon(x)[/itex], and by integrating by parts we can turn the middle one into the desired form. But there are other examples, and I'm wondering how we can argue for the form [itex]\partial_\mu \epsilon[/itex] directly rather than eliminating these other possibilities one by one.

I hate to see the beautiful theory made ugly by some textbooks! And I also hate the method that I will describe below!
Let us consider the infinitesimal transformation

[tex]\phi \rightarrow \phi + \delta \phi ,[/tex]

[tex]\delta \phi = F( \phi ) \epsilon (x) , \ \ | \epsilon | \ll 1[/tex]

Infinitesimal means that

[tex] \epsilon^{n} \approx 0, \ \forall n > 1[/tex]

This transformation induces an infinitesimal change in the Lagrangian according to

[tex] \delta \mathcal{L} = \frac{\partial \mathcal{L}}{\partial \phi} F( \phi ) \epsilon + \frac{\partial \mathcal{L}}{\partial \partial_{a} \phi} \epsilon \partial_{a} F + \frac{\partial \mathcal{L}}{\partial \partial_{a} \phi} F \partial_{a} \epsilon[/tex]

Now, we define the objects

[tex] J^{a} \equiv \frac{\partial \mathcal{L}}{\partial \partial_{a} \phi} \ F( \phi )[/tex]

and

[tex] E( \phi ) = \frac{\partial \mathcal{L}}{\partial \phi} - \partial_{a} \left( \frac{\partial \mathcal{L}}{\partial \partial_{a} \phi } \right)[/tex]

and rewrite the change in the Lagrangian as

[tex] \delta \mathcal{L} = \left( E( \phi ) F + \partial_{a} J^{a} \right) \epsilon + J^{a} \partial_{a} \epsilon[/tex]

Notice that the first term represents the infinitesimal change in [itex]\mathcal{L}[/itex] for constant [itex]\epsilon[/itex]. So, we can write

[tex] \delta \mathcal{L} = \delta \mathcal{L}|_{\epsilon = \mbox{const.}} + J^{a} \partial_{a}\epsilon[/tex]

Now, if for CONSTANT [itex]\epsilon[/itex], the transformation above is a symmetry, i.e., if the (Noether) identity

[tex]\delta \mathcal{L}|_{\epsilon = \mbox{conct.}} = E( \phi ) F( \phi ) + \partial_{a}J^{a} = 0[/tex]

is satisfied, then the change in the lagrangian will be given by

[tex]\delta \mathcal{L} = J^{a}\partial_{a}\epsilon[/tex]

where [itex]J^{a}[/itex] now is the conserved current of the corresponding GLOBAL symmetry; notice that the Noether identity above implies [itex]\partial_{a}J^{a} = 0[/itex] ON-SHELL, i.e., when the field satisfies the equation of motion [itex]E( \phi ) = 0[/itex].

Regards

sam

1. What is Noether's Theorem?

Noether's Theorem is a fundamental principle in physics that links the symmetries of a system to its conserved quantities. It states that for every continuous symmetry in a physical system, there exists a corresponding conserved quantity.

2. What is the significance of Noether's Theorem?

Noether's Theorem has profound implications in the field of physics, as it allows us to understand the conservation laws of energy, momentum, and angular momentum in a deeper way. It also provides a powerful tool for understanding the behavior of physical systems.

3. How does Noether's Theorem apply to classical mechanics?

In classical mechanics, Noether's Theorem states that for every continuous symmetry in a physical system, there exists a conserved quantity. For example, the conservation of energy can be derived from the time symmetry of a system, while the conservation of momentum can be derived from the translational symmetry of a system.

4. Is Noether's Theorem applicable in other areas of physics?

Yes, Noether's Theorem is a general principle that can be applied to a wide range of physical theories, including classical mechanics, quantum mechanics, and general relativity. It has also been used to understand symmetries in fields such as electromagnetism, thermodynamics, and fluid mechanics.

5. Can Noether's Theorem be violated?

No, Noether's Theorem is a mathematical principle that has been rigorously proven and has not been found to be violated in any physical system. However, there may be cases where the symmetry is hidden or broken, leading to apparent violations of the theorem.