What is the Mass of Meter Stick in Sketch?

• Thread starter jammhawk
  • Start date
In summary, the question asks for the mass of a meter stick shown in a sketch, while it is balanced. The options given are 160 grams, 120 grams, 80 grams, 200 grams, or none of the above. The solution involves considering each side of the meter stick as a concentrated mass at its center of gravity, and solving for the sum of torques equaling 0. This can be done by assuming a mass of "x" hanging from the 50cm mark of the meter stick and solving for "x". The correct answer is 120 grams.
jammhawk

Homework Statement

What is the mass of the meter stick, which is shown in the sketch below while it is balanced?

http://img252.imageshack.us/img252/9819/problemeo4.jpg [Broken]
a 160 grams b 120 grams c 80 grams d 200 grams e none of the above

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

I am completely CONFUSED! Our professor never discussed finding the mass of the lever.

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
The meter, you can think of like a mass that adds torque to the system. Consider the each side of the meterstick as a mass concentrated at that center of gravity for the side. Then you can solve for the sum of the torques = 0.

To reiterate what thepanda said, think of the leaver as mass less, and simply assume there is a mass of "x" weight hanging from the 50cm mark of the meter stick (20cm to the right of the fulcrum). Simply solve for "x".

*It is placed here because it is the object's center of mass

Okay I know I am going to sound completely stupid, but I am still getting really confused. I have a political science degree and working on a history degree. I am in the lowest level physics and I am still getting really confused.

Sorry.

so does X = 120 grams?

that is the correct answer.

1. What is the purpose of measuring the mass of a meter stick in Sketch?

The mass of a meter stick in Sketch is important because it helps determine the accuracy and precision of the drawing. Knowing the mass allows for better calibration and adjustment of the drawing tools.

2. How is the mass of a meter stick in Sketch measured?

The mass of a meter stick in Sketch is typically measured by using a digital scale or a balance. The stick is placed on the scale or balance and the reading is recorded in grams.

3. Does the material of the meter stick affect its mass in Sketch?

Yes, the material of the meter stick can affect its mass in Sketch. Different materials have different densities, which can impact the weight and therefore the mass of the stick. This is why it is important to use the same type of meter stick for consistent results.

4. How does the mass of a meter stick in Sketch affect the accuracy of the drawing?

The mass of the meter stick in Sketch can affect the accuracy of the drawing by influencing the pressure applied to the drawing tool. A heavier stick may require more force to draw a line, resulting in thicker or darker lines. This can impact the precision of the drawing.

5. Can the mass of a meter stick in Sketch change over time?

Yes, the mass of a meter stick in Sketch can change over time due to wear and tear or exposure to different conditions. It is important to regularly check and calibrate the stick to ensure consistent and accurate results in drawings.