Balancing Studies and Social Life: Is It Possible?

In summary: Just enjoy your life. In summary, this person is addicted to studying and doesn't think it's fair to neglect their social life in order to do so. They think it's important to balance both.
Imparcticle
Hi,
I am terribly addicted to studying. So addicted that I am incomplete without it. Anyway, I today I was at a book store and I found the greatest study book ever: AP English and Composition. I got very excited, read 15 pages and wanted the $30 book (it comes with a CD rom too! :smile: ). Though I was unable to get the book (I will eventually :grumpy: ), I immediately began to plan a 6 week study schedule. I planned on using my lunch breaks at school and the 1 hour of free time I have after school to study.
Then it occurred to me that my friends will be disappointed. School is almost over (and I'll go to high school for the first time) and I'll probably never see my friends here again. My dedication to my studies, I believe is interfering with my social life. So if I study during all the free time I have, I will neglect my friends.
[sigh] which is more important? should I put off the studying for summer?

The reason why I want to start in june is because I can finish the 6 week study course by the first week of july, and would have 6 more weeks to study another topic. (This is all in addition to studies in mathematics)

Eventually I think I will end up with NO social life. :cry: this is predictable isn't it? what to do ?? :confused:

Physics news on Phys.org
Imparcticle said:
which is more important? should I put off the studying for summer?
This is something you should really ask yourself. It's like asking someone else what your favourite food should be. It's hard to choose, you enjoy both, but can't have both. Personally, I would go with friends. Of course, I'm not so addicted to studying. I think, especially going into high school, whether you want it now or not, chances are you'll eventually feel the urge to put your social life as a very high priority. Really, it's not too hard to balance both friends and studies. But you should figure out how you're going to balance the two on your own.

Okay: I will spend lunch with friends, 20-30 min with them after school and the rest for studying. :D
BTW, Is the SAT 1 AP exam entirely constituted of essay questions?

Come on, you don't need to study for the AP exams. Those things are a piece of cake. I took a 30 minute break during the AP English exam to take a crap and still aced it. Not a minute of studying. That's what the class is for. If you're into studying and you're into English, just read more books written by englishmen. There are plenty.

Don't neglect your friends. You'll regret it.

i always balanced both and its working wonders
all work no play is not good
all play no work is not good
average play and average work is all good
thats my motto, a little sacrifice, and a little fun

this is only a guidline, live your life as you see fit, like i live mine like i see fit, good luck

loseyourname said:
Come on, you don't need to study for the AP exams. Those things are a piece of cake. I took a 30 minute break during the AP English exam to take a crap and still aced it. Not a minute of studying. That's what the class is for. If you're into studying and you're into English, just read more books written by englishmen. There are plenty.

yeah, but you are really smart. And you apparently don't freak on such "pressurized" tests like I do. Man, you should have seen me on the MYP IB math test. It was just algebra and I was really stressed just because it meant a lot to me to pass. :cry: (I passed with flying colors :biggrin: )
But I am actually improving my test taking skills (the part where I get nervous) by taking practice tests at home with a lot of distraction going on around me.

no, I'm not into english. Just physics + engineering (and I'll be interested in anything Nikola Tesla was interested in).

I_wish_I_was_smart:
I will totally take your advice (you too hypnagogue).

Oh, and IB and AP are pretty much the same aren't they? what is the difference? (I'm in IB)

hypnagogue said:
Don't neglect your friends. You'll regret it.

eh.. yeah this is very true

Plus the whole social life thing will most likely have a tricky way of sneaking up on you and taking time whether you want to give it away or not. Boys boys boys!

The way I see it, you got plenty of time to study. There's no rush. Enjoy your friends for a while.

cookiemonster

You're still young. Relax. Save worrying about life-determining decissions for college.

My first year physics professor, an eminent elementary-particle physicist once said "There are two types of students that fail ; those who party all the time, and those who never party."

Wise words that I have always tried to live by, although we are cursed with 24 days... :devil:

I think you plan your life too much ahead... sometimes I try to schedule my day when I have impotant things to do (such as studying for my finals) and guess what - it never works out! It sounds like you're trying too hard to schedule everything you are going to do for the next 2 months, and I personally think it's bad because: (a) I can't imagine how stressful that must be! and (b) you are going to be pretty disappointed when you realize your schedule was unrealistic and you only managed to complete half of what you hoped to. This is not necessarily true, but it happens all too often.

You're young, for some this is the best time of your lives. So try to enjoy it! I'm not saying you need to drop education altogether, especially since you seem to like it a lot. That's good and you can use it to your advantage, but don't burn yourself out. I am about to finish two months of intensive studying (12th grade finals), and even though I did great on most of the exams I feel sort of sick already. And it's not because I don't like studying, on the contrary, but too much studynig is just painful for your brain.

Well sorry for the long post, I wasn't planning to make it so long and I got to run or I will miss my bible final! :cry:

First of all, I'm probably the same age as you (going to high school this year). Now, I'm just waiting for probably one of the most important exams in my life I guess. And what I wanted to say - I'm not learning all the time - e.g.: I use this forum, talk with friends, making my own website. Nevertheless, learning takes me about 40-50 % of day.

My advice: try to think about yout friends too.

I'll concur with everyone else. You have to make time for both so you can develop both strong social and academic skills. Having a perfect mark in all your English courses can be much more easily applied in life if you have the social practice to implement your abilities.

Imparcticle said:
Hi,
I am terribly addicted to studying. So addicted that I am incomplete without it. Anyway, I today I was at a book store and I found the greatest study book ever: AP English and Composition. I got very excited, read 15 pages and wanted the $30 book (it comes with a CD rom too! :smile: ). Though I was unable to get the book (I will eventually :grumpy: ), I immediately began to plan a 6 week study schedule. I planned on using my lunch breaks at school and the 1 hour of free time I have after school to study.
Then it occurred to me that my friends will be disappointed. School is almost over (and I'll go to high school for the first time) and I'll probably never see my friends here again. My dedication to my studies, I believe is interfering with my social life. So if I study during all the free time I have, I will neglect my friends.
[sigh] which is more important? should I put off the studying for summer?

The reason why I want to start in june is because I can finish the 6 week study course by the first week of july, and would have 6 more weeks to study another topic. (This is all in addition to studies in mathematics)

Eventually I think I will end up with NO social life. :cry: this is predictable isn't it? what to do ?? :confused:

Wait..you're not even in high school and you're doing this? I thought i was bad as a child. I mean what is with the schedules? Relax a little. if you want to study the stuff, then do it, but planning six week study schedules is a little bit obsessive. I'm just graduating from high school and i finished a book on tensor calculus. It took me two months becuase i only did it when i wasn't doing anything else, but i got through the whole book (and its supposed to take a whole semester in the first place). RELAX. You'll miss your sanity if you don't.

Seriously the scheduling seems to be a bit much. I have no clue what I'm doing tomorrow, much less six weeks from now. I'll worry about it when i need to, not right now having just rolled out of bed and not had any coffee. RELAX.

Imparcticle said:
yeah, but you are really smart. And you apparently don't freak on such "pressurized" tests like I do. Man, you should have seen me on the MYP IB math test. It was just algebra and I was really stressed just because it meant a lot to me to pass. :cry: (I passed with flying colors :biggrin: )
But I am actually improving my test taking skills (the part where I get nervous) by taking practice tests at home with a lot of distraction going on around me.

Wait a second here. You mean to tell me you're studying for the test even though you aren't taking it? I guess I can't entirely fauly you there. I probably read just as much before I got into high school (more in elementary school really). I'd check out 6 or 7 books from the public library each week (all non-fiction) and all I'd ever do is read. I didn't even have any friends until I was about 16 or so. I eventually grew out of it, but it honestly caused some problems in that when I got to high school, there was nothing for me to learn. I knew more about some of the topics than the teachers did. It made for a very boring and discouraging experience.

loseyourname said:
Wait a second here. You mean to tell me you're studying for the test even though you aren't taking it? I guess I can't entirely fauly you there. I probably read just as much before I got into high school (more in elementary school really). I'd check out 6 or 7 books from the public library each week (all non-fiction) and all I'd ever do is read. I didn't even have any friends until I was about 16 or so. I eventually grew out of it, but it honestly caused some problems in that when I got to high school, there was nothing for me to learn. I knew more about some of the topics than the teachers did. It made for a very boring and discouraging experience.

After reading this kind of text I always want to study more and more. I don't know why, but it may be called an ambition...

Wow you study that much and your just starting high school? That's impressive. Sometimes it's good to have a dedicated study plan ( I know I wish I did last year ;) ) but you have to have some non-studying fun sometimes. It's all about balance... Maybe you should start out slow, like take a 30 min break from studying to just do something else, hanging out with friends, playing a game, whatever. And then just build from there until you find a good balance.

Ok little bro, people like you bother me, but in your case I’ll make an exception and try to help you out.

You don’t need to do excessive studying, it is just not worth it. For one you will start to feel left out and you will realize you didn’t accomplish as much as you thought you would. Books won’t teach you everything, they will teach you a lot, but not everything. In my opinion you should leave the staying in at lunch for high school =-)…. besides you are almost done with the year.

Now, IB and AP are both great programs. You will hear from a lot people that have taken both that IB is more rigorous but AP is far more recognized in the USA. This is also the reason why most that take IB try to take both the AP and the IB tests if they have the opportunity.

IB will be tough but you should be good as long as you don’t make yourself sick with it.

Euphoriet said:
IB will be tough but you should be good as long as you don’t make yourself sick with it.

IB is only tough if you don't know how to cram out 1000 word essays in a single ngiht. If you can do that, and you don't take material beyond your ability (read:unnecessary Higher Level courses that you're not good at anyway) then it is not difficult, especially if you've already amde it through MYP (i'm of course referring to the diploma programme).

Hehehe... You would probably enjoy the book, "Becoming a Master Student" by David Ellis. I read it when I was thinking about going back to school. I didn't go back to school, but it was a fun read anyway.

I agree with the others- give yourself a break. If you keep this up, you'll have a heart attack when the SATs &co. roll around.

Of course, if you're studying because you love it (and not just because you feel pressured by others) then study 'til your heart's content! :)

BTW if you're going to read fiction, make it Shakespeare. I have learned so much from him, I can't imagine the person I'd be without him. Seriously. Read Shakespeare and add wisdom to your knowledge.

Happy thoughts
Rachel

Last edited:
Okay guys! I'll give myself a break. :biggrin:
Like on Saturday, I didn't pick up a book...for 14 hours (whoa!) :eek: .

Honestrosewater:

Shakespeare? Hm, I've tried reading him. I read Romeo and Juliet. I'll take your advice and read more of his works.

You know, my favorite author is Charles Dickens. Then Ernest Hemmingway. As a matter of fact I am reading one of his books: For Whom the Bell Tolls. He is truly an excellent writer.
I'm also reading "A history of Pi" by Petr Beckmann. That too is really worthwhile.

Yes, I can tolerate Hemingway ;) Er, that's meant as a compliment, as I can't tolerate most fiction. Give me poetry or give me... a brief quote.

Mary Shelley's "Frankenstein" is one of my favorites. Ever read it? It's not at all like the green mummy monster movies. You might also enjoy it as a vocabulary builder- she has a very respectable vocabulary. You might also appreciate that she was (IIRC) 19 when she wrote it.
Edgar Allan Poe is terribly fun too.
I like Hemingway's style, but don't remember reading much of his work, besides his poetry.

Well, I'll stop with this, but please do give Shakespeare another try! Hamlet is my favorite. You could/should also watch Shakespeare on film before reading the play (or go to the theatre if possible). The only film adaptations of Hamlet I like are Laurence Olivier's and Kenneth Branagh's. Olivier's is dark- literally- and not the best for a first intro. Branagh's is very lively and accessible. And any of Branagh's other Shakespeare movies would be a good choice as well (Henry V especially). Actually Branagh also did a rather faithful "Frankenstein" :) Okay, I'm really stopping now!

So have some friends over, rent some Branagh movies, and enjoy.

Happy thoughts
Rachel
BTW No, Shakespeare is neither boring nor uptight but full of life ;)

Ugh! I can't help it.

I remember someone saying that every generation discovers the Marquis de Sade. If you have a fairly strong stomach, he's a worthwhile discovery. There's a nice bio about him; "At Home with the Marquis de Sade" by Francine Du Plessix Gray. There's also the recent movie "Quills". Perhaps you could do a movie vs. book thing over the summer :)

Nathaniel Hawthorne wrote a great short story "The Birthmark." It's about a scientist, a crimson birthmark in the shape of a hand, and human imperfection. You can find it here http://www.online-literature.com/hawthorne/125/
It touches on a topic similar to one in "Frankenstein."

Okay, that's the last of it. Unless you want some more suggestions...

Happy thoughts
Rachel

P.S. A taste of "The Birthmark" to show why I think you will enjoy:
In the latter part of the last century there lived a man of science, an eminent proficient in every branch of natural philosophy, who not long before our story opens had made experience of a spiritual affinity more attractive than any chemical one. He had left his laboratory to the care of an assistant, cleared his fine countenance from the furnace smoke, washed the stain of acids from his fingers, and persuaded a beautiful woman to become his wife. In those days when the comparatively recent discovery of electricity and other kindred mysteries of Nature seemed to open paths into the region of miracle, it was not unusual for the love of science to rival the love of woman in its depth and absorbing energy. The higher intellect, the imagination, the spirit, and even the heart might all find their congenial aliment in pursuits which, as some of their ardent votaries believed, would ascend from one step of powerful intelligence to another, until the philosopher should lay his hand on the secret of creative force and perhaps make new worlds for himself. We know not whether Aylmer possessed this degree of faith in man's ultimate control over Nature. He had devoted himself, however, too unreservedly to scientific studies ever to be weaned from them by any second passion. His love for his young wife might prove the stronger of the two; but it could only be by intertwining itself with his love of science, and uniting the strength of the latter to his own.

Last edited:
What is driving you to study so much? Do you just enjoy, math, and literature, or are you trying to get an advantage in high school..?

I love to study/read. Ever since I was about 7, I've been checking out books from the library about astronomy etc. I enjoy it greatly, to learn why something is the way it is, how something happens. It is my form of relaxation because after every book that I've finished, I feel like a whole new person (in a good way). I learned about atoms and their conterparts at a very young age, memorized the planets (in our solar system) and characteristics etc. and like loseyourname, everything became a review for me later in life. Like this year, we were studying atoms and their conterparts. It was a complete bore for me, as you can probably imagine!

Honestrosewater:
Have you read the trilogy : "The White Mountains", "The City of Gold and Lead", "The Pool of Fire"? I read it in 6th grade, and still vividly rememeber the story. It is an amazing story that is scifi. Unlike the stereotype idea for scifi books/movies, it is about an ancient civilization that...uh, if you want to read it, then I probably shouldn't tell you the main idea of the book? If you don't want to read it, then I'll tell you. :biggrin:

I'll definitely read shakespeare.

what books do you reccomend I read to study logistics?

No, I haven't read them. I'll read about the Tripods and you'll read about Hamlet-deal?

Logistics in what context? Military, business- local/global? Any speciality- like food, waste, materials, power, etc.? Do you want theory or practice or both? Or do you just want a general introduction to the field?

Hamlet and Henry V are two of his best. Hamlet is just a perfect work of art.

1. Why is studying considered to be bad for one's social life?

Studying is often seen as being bad for one's social life because it requires a significant amount of time and dedication, which can make it difficult to find time for socializing. Additionally, studying can be mentally exhausting, leaving little energy or motivation for social activities.

2. Can studying actually harm one's social life?

Studying itself is not harmful to one's social life. However, if excessive studying leads to neglecting social relationships and activities, it can have a negative impact on one's social life.

3. Is it possible to balance studying and having a social life?

Yes, it is possible to balance studying and having a social life. It may require good time management skills and prioritization, but finding a balance between the two is important for overall well-being. It is also important to remember that taking breaks and engaging in social activities can actually improve academic performance.

4. How can I maintain a social life while studying?

There are a few ways to maintain a social life while studying. One approach is to schedule specific times for studying and for socializing. This can help create a balance and ensure that both aspects of life are given attention. Additionally, finding study groups or joining clubs and organizations related to your field of study can allow for socializing while also studying.

5. What are the potential consequences of neglecting a social life for studying?

Neglecting a social life for studying can lead to feelings of isolation, loneliness, and burnout. It can also have negative effects on mental health, such as increased stress and anxiety. Additionally, it may impact relationships with friends and family, as well as limit opportunities for networking and personal growth.