Mass times avogadro's numbers = molar mass ?

In summary, mass times Avogadro's Number equals the molar mass of a substance. This is because mass is an extensive property that changes depending on the amount of matter, Avogadro's Number represents the number of molecules in one mole of matter, and molar mass is the mass of one mole of matter. Therefore, the equation Mass of molecule * Avogadro's Number = Molar Mass helps to understand the relationship between these concepts.
zmike
mass times avogadro's numbers = molar mass ??

Quick questions while I was reading my textbook:

apparently my textbook shows that

mass x avogadro's numbers = molar mass of the substance?

this makes no sense to me.

Isn't mole/mass = molar mass?

Can someone please help?

Physics news on Phys.org

Mass is an extensive property of matter (extensive means that the property changes depending on how much matter there is).

Avogadro's Number is the number of molecules in one mole of matter.

The molar mass is the mass of one mole of matter. For example, consider two molecules A and B (assume they are not the same molecule). Since the molecules have different masses, if we take Avogadro's Number of A and Avogadro's Number of B (the same number of molecules), the total mass of each sample will be different. This total mass for one mole of A is the molar mass of A.

So you get an equation:

Mass of molecule * Avogadro's Number = Molar Mass

Bacat said:
Mass of molecule * Avogadro's Number = Molar Mass

Thank you for making it Clear.

Now It makes sense to me :)

What is Avogadro's number?

Avogadro's number, also known as the Avogadro constant, is a fundamental physical constant that represents the number of particles (atoms, molecules, or ions) in one mole of a substance. It is approximately equal to 6.022 x 10^23.

What is molar mass?

Molar mass is a physical property that is defined as the mass of one mole of a substance. It is usually expressed in units of grams per mole (g/mol).

How is molar mass calculated?

Molar mass is calculated by summing the atomic masses of all the atoms in a molecule. The atomic masses can be found on the periodic table of elements. For example, the molar mass of water (H2O) would be calculated as (2 x atomic mass of hydrogen) + (1 x atomic mass of oxygen).

What is the relationship between mass, Avogadro's number, and molar mass?

The relationship between mass, Avogadro's number, and molar mass can be expressed by the formula: mass = Avogadro's number x molar mass. This means that the mass of a substance in grams is equal to the Avogadro's number multiplied by the molar mass of that substance.

Why is Avogadro's number important in chemistry?

Avogadro's number is important in chemistry because it allows us to understand the relationship between the microscopic world (atoms and molecules) and the macroscopic world (mass and volume). It also helps us to convert between the number of particles and the mass of a substance, which is crucial in chemical reactions and calculations.