Transferring from a 2 year college to a 4 year university

In summary, the individual is questioning their options for transferring to a 4-year university from their community college. They have enough credits for their Associate's degree and priority admission to their desired university, but they are unsure if they should graduate in the fall and transfer in the spring or stay at the community college for one more semester. They are concerned about the availability of classes related to their major and the impact on their GPA for scholarships. They also wonder about the importance of their Associate's degree and if graduate schools look down on those who started at a community college. They mention a mathematical formula used in graduate admissions and suggest transferring early for research and coursework opportunities. Overall, they are seeking feedback and suggestions for their decision.
Jack21222
I've got a few questions related to transferring to a 4 year university from my community college. After the fall semseter, I'll have 60 credits, which is enough for my general studies associate's degree. That would give me "priority admission" to Towson University, which is where I intend on getting my bachelors.

I have two options. One, I can graduate in the fall, and then see about transferring to Towson in the spring. This may be problematic, because most of the orientation and such is geared towards people starting in a fall semester. I also believe that financial aid goes from fall semester through fall semester. If I apply to start in the spring, will it cause a big paperwork hassle?

The other option is to ride it out at community college for one more semester (and then I'd get to call it an Astronomy degree rather than General Studies), and start at Towson in the fall like a normal human being.

I'm actually running out of worthwhile classes to take at community college. Many of the upper level (for a community college, that is), such as General Physics 3, Calc 3, and Diff Eq are often canceled due to lack of interest. My physics professor told me that they haven't run a Physics 3 course at the community college in the past decade. So, if I were to hang around one extra semester, I wouldn't likely be taking any classes related to my major, so I'd have to keep up on the material on my own so I don't get rusty.

On the other hand, I could use that "extra" semester to build up my GPA on some gen ed courses, for scholarship purposes.

Anybody have any thoughts or comments? I'm not necessarily looking for a definitive answer, but any kind of feedback, suggestions, et cetera, would be appreciated. Is there anything I should be asking myself that I haven't thought of?

Edit: Oh, one other question... Can I assume that it doesn't really matter at all if my Associate's Degree is in "General Studies" or "Astronomy?" It's the bachelors that really matters, right?

Physics news on Phys.org
Related question: Do grad schools look down on people who started at community college?

The graduate admissions that I've been involved in where very mathematical (where variables such as undergraduate rank, GPA's, GRE's, and reader score from recommendations, etc, were all factored in via a formula that spit out a ranked list of students with their numerical "score"). In cases of multiple institutions -- including cases of transfer (from community college or from one college to another) or multiple degrees (Assoc. + BS, or BS+MS), the last educational institution and degree was used for the formula. Where things get tricky is how this stuff effects the reader score (where in our case was an average of scores from three or more readers, with maximum score of 10 and minimum of 0). I think most would consider and weight your coursework at the last institution, though this isn't guaranteed. I think if they saw "astronomy" as an associate's degree that they might view that favorably over "general studies," but I'm not sure how much that would change their score (in my case maybe a half point?.. and that was if I KNEW there was a choice there, which is pretty doubtful). Of course this is my experience; perhaps some schools don't use such a mathematical process.

Some factors to consider...
1) Would transferring early allow you the chance to meet faculty and possible get a research job in one of their labs? You could possibly even use the "lack of student orientation" to your advantage as an excuse to meet faculty. Though hopefully you don't feel like there's a need for an excuse. (P.S. I met Harry Bates of Towson at an AAPT conference and he is very personable.)

2) Are you at the stage yet where you could be taking some of the intermediate physics courses (especially any that aren't offered at your CC)? Taking intermediate courses now of course allows you the chance to take more upper levels or have more research time later. In our case (and probably most schools) upper level coursework and research experience are weighted heavily in the admissions process reader score.

Those are the main reasons I can see to transfer earlier rather than later -- research and coursework opportunities. If you're at a point where these are possibilities... then I'd transfer now, rather than later. It sounds like at your stage, your could be reaching a dead-end in coursework... and you don't want that to happen.

physics girl phd said:
The graduate admissions that I've been involved in where very mathematical (where variables such as undergraduate rank, GPA's, GRE's, and reader score from recommendations, etc, were all factored in via a formula that spit out a ranked list of students with their numerical "score"). In cases of multiple institutions -- including cases of transfer (from community college or from one college to another) or multiple degrees (Assoc. + BS, or BS+MS), the last educational institution and degree was used for the formula. Where things get tricky is how this stuff effects the reader score (where in our case was an average of scores from three or more readers, with maximum score of 10 and minimum of 0). I think most would consider and weight your coursework at the last institution, though this isn't guaranteed. I think if they saw "astronomy" as an associate's degree that they might view that favorably over "general studies," but I'm not sure how much that would change their score (in my case maybe a half point?.. and that was if I KNEW there was a choice there, which is pretty doubtful). Of course this is my experience; perhaps some schools don't use such a mathematical process.

Some factors to consider...
1) Would transferring early allow you the chance to meet faculty and possible get a research job in one of their labs? You could possibly even use the "lack of student orientation" to your advantage as an excuse to meet faculty. Though hopefully you don't feel like there's a need for an excuse. (P.S. I met Harry Bates of Towson at an AAPT conference and he is very personable.)

2) Are you at the stage yet where you could be taking some of the intermediate physics courses (especially any that aren't offered at your CC)? Taking intermediate courses now of course allows you the chance to take more upper levels or have more research time later. In our case (and probably most schools) upper level coursework and research experience are weighted heavily in the admissions process reader score.

Those are the main reasons I can see to transfer earlier rather than later -- research and coursework opportunities. If you're at a point where these are possibilities... then I'd transfer now, rather than later. It sounds like at your stage, your could be reaching a dead-end in coursework... and you don't want that to happen.

I don't think either research or coursework opportunities are possibilities for me right now. I'm only in my first semester of calculus-based physics at the moment (Newtonian physics, basically), and I'll be taking the second semester (thermodynamics, E&M, etc) in the Fall. I don't think that would qualify me for any intermediate coursework until I finish the 3rd semester of general physics, but I could be wrong about that. Honestly, I'm not sure how the intermediate courses fit in with the general overview courses.

As I mentioned, the 3rd semester of physics almost never runs due to lack of interest.

As for the astronomy vs the general studies associate's: The astronomy degree will have a few classes which don't really transfer into the program at Towson. If I did go for my extra semester, I could do one of two things... I could take Physical Geology and Oceanography (which won't really transfer) to make my degree an Astronomy degree, or I could take General Chemistry 2 and a gen ed course or two that will transfer, and just keep it as a "General Studies" associate's.

In either case, I don't think I'm quite ready for intermediate courses or research just yet. I could be wrong about that, though. I just don't think two semesters of general physics will be enough without the 3rd semester in the set of classes.

I had the experience that when I transferred from a community college to a university, the GPA didn't transfer over...so boosting your GPA should probably not be the only reason for sticking it out the extra semester but you might want to check on your community college and Towson.

I doubt it would be too much hassle to transfer in the spring but I would just recommend just staying at the community college and finishing off the degree then going in the fall. You could even use the summer for prep if you were so inclined. Remember that university coursework is generally tougher than community college.

As for graduate admissions looking down on community college transferees...I've never even heard of such a thing...some universities will just ask for transcripts of last university attended, others will ask for all colleges attended but even at that, where you went to school should be just a negligible part in a bunch of criteria that graduate committees will take into account during the process.

My understanding us while the GPA as a whole doesn't transfer, the credits I DO transfer over will be counted for GPA at the university.

I'm actually looking forward to some challenging coursework, because I'm tired of having the classes slowed to a snail's pace for the dumb students. That's one reason I like online classes... I can ace a 3 credit class, and only do 2 hours of work per week, if even that.

Boosting GPA aside, the university has more gen ed requirements than the CC, so my spring 2010 semester could be used to knock a few cakewalk classes out of the way before transferring.

Jack21222 said:
Edit: Oh, one other question... Can I assume that it doesn't really matter at all if my Associate's Degree is in "General Studies" or "Astronomy?" It's the bachelors that really matters, right?

You're correct, in the end only a bachelors matters. Whether or not you get the associates degree in 'something' such as astronomy or not doesn't really matter. Unless you hope to pursue the astronomy job route later on in life, and obtain your bachelors in something else - say engineering...

Your transferring to a uni from a CCollege is the same thing that happened to me. In my opinion you should get your butt out of there as quick as you can.

Honestly, I did not even get awarded the degree at my old CC because of failing two courses not relevant to my degree but I'm not really worried because of the circumstances... e.g failing spanish 101 but passing spanish 102 and 202? huh?

I'm not saying go and fail some courses but just don't worry too much of your CC record just do very well in uni.

1. How do I know if my credits will transfer?

Most universities have a transfer credit equivalency tool on their website where you can enter the courses you have taken at your 2 year college and see how they will transfer to the 4 year university. You can also meet with an academic advisor at the university to discuss your transfer credits.

2. Will all of my credits transfer?

It depends on the university and the specific courses you have taken. Generally, credits from courses that are relevant to your major at the 4 year university will transfer. However, there may be differences in course content and credit requirements, so it's best to check with an academic advisor.

3. Can I transfer in the middle of a semester?

It is possible to transfer in the middle of a semester, but it may be more difficult to do so. Some universities have specific transfer deadlines and may only accept transfer students at the beginning of a new semester. It's best to check with the university about their transfer policies and deadlines.

4. Will I have to retake courses that I have already completed at my 2 year college?

Again, this depends on the university and the specific courses. If the courses you have taken at your 2 year college are equivalent to courses offered at the 4 year university, then you may not have to retake them. However, if there are differences in course content or credit requirements, you may be required to take the course again at the university.

5. How will transferring affect my financial aid?

Transferring from a 2 year college to a 4 year university may affect your financial aid, as different schools have different financial aid policies. You will need to work with the financial aid office at the university to determine how your aid will be affected. It's important to also consider any scholarship opportunities available for transfer students at the university.