What is the amplitude for electron-muon scattering at tree level?

In summary, the amplitude given in the text is incorrect, and the equation given in the homework statement works correctly when \mu=0.
giant_bog

Homework Statement

I'm having trouble with e-muon scattering. Tree level, no loops. (This is problem 7.26 in Griffiths Intro to Elem Particles). I get that the amplitude is as stated in the text, but I am having problems coming up with a number when the momenta and spins are added in.

This is in the COM frame with the electron traveling up the z axis with momentum p and the muon going down the z axis with the same momentum. They then repel and go back the way they came. All helicities are assumed to be +1.

Homework Equations

The amplitude is given as [tex]-\frac{4\pi\alpha}{(p_1-p_3)^2} \bar{u}_3\gamma^\mu u_1 \bar{u}_4\gamma_\mu u_2[/tex].

The Attempt at a Solution

As far as I can figure, [tex]p_1 = (E_1/c,0,0,p)[/tex], [tex]p_3 = (E_1/c,0,0,-p)[/tex], [tex]p_2 = (E_2/c,0,0,-p)[/tex], and [tex]p_4 = (E_2/c,0,0,p)[/tex], for the incoming and outgoing electron, and incoming and outgoing muon, respectively. That would make the spinors equal to:

[tex]u_1 = n (1,0,p/n^2,0)^T[/tex]
[tex]u_3 = n (1,0,-p/n^2,0)^T[/tex]
[tex]u_2 = N (1,0,-p/N^2,0)^T[/tex]
[tex]u_4 = N (1,0,p/N^2,0)^T[/tex]

where [tex]n=\frac{E_1+m_e c^2}{c}[/tex] and [tex]N=\frac{E_2+m_\mu c^2}{c}[/tex]
That makes the adjoints
[tex]\bar{u}_3 = u_3^\dagger\gamma^0 = n (1,0,p/n^2,0)[/tex] and
[tex]\bar{u}_4 = u_4^\dagger\gamma^0 = N (1,0,-p/N^2,0)[/tex]

These are all in the form of [tex](A, 0, B, 0)\gamma^\mu(A, 0, B, 0)^T[/tex]. It appears to work out that this is always 0 unless [tex]\mu=0[/tex]. But [tex]\bar{u}_3[/tex] looks exactly like [tex]u_1^\dagger[/tex], so [tex]\bar{u}_3\gamma^0 u_1 = u_1^\dagger\gamma^0 u_1 = \bar{u}_1 u_1 = 2m_e c[/tex]. The muon term works out the same way to [tex]2m_\mu c[/tex]. That makes the spinor contribution [tex]4m_e m_\mu c^2[/tex]

The [tex](p_1-p_3)^2[/tex] term in the denominator should be [tex]((E_1/c,0,0,p)-(E_1/c,0,0,-p))^2 = -4p^2[/tex] assuming the incoming and outgoing energies are the same, giving the final result [tex]M = \frac{4\pi\alpha m_e m_\mu c^2}{p^2}[/tex].

I know this is wrong, because the probability shouldn't be dependent on the initial momentum: I could make that momentum as low as I want and make the amplitude as high as I want. Besides, it differs from the answer given in the text and also the answer given in the Physics Bowl episode of The Big Bang Theory! Not sure where I went wrong, though.

Physics news on Phys.org
post deleted

Last edited:
Now I got it. Never mind, y'all.

What is electron muon scattering?

Electron muon scattering is an experimental technique used to study the interactions between electrons and muons. It involves firing a beam of electrons at a target containing muons, and analyzing the scattered electrons to gather information about the properties of the muons.

What can we learn from electron muon scattering experiments?

By analyzing the scattering of electrons off muons, we can gain insights into the fundamental forces and particles that make up our universe. This technique has been used to study the weak nuclear force, which is responsible for radioactive decay, among other things.

How is electron muon scattering different from other scattering experiments?

Unlike other scattering experiments, electron muon scattering involves particles that are both elementary and have a high mass, making it a unique tool for probing the inner workings of matter. Additionally, muons have a short lifetime, so these experiments must be conducted quickly.

What are the challenges of conducting electron muon scattering experiments?

One of the main challenges is producing a high-intensity beam of muons, as they are not naturally abundant. Another challenge is accurately measuring the scattered electrons, as they can be affected by various factors such as electromagnetic fields and the target material.

What are some potential applications of electron muon scattering?

Electron muon scattering has a wide range of potential applications, including studying the properties of new particles, testing the Standard Model of particle physics, and improving our understanding of the weak nuclear force. It can also be used for medical imaging and developing new technologies in fields such as materials science and energy production.