Power Loss Due to Resistance

In summary, the power loss due to resistance in the high-voltage transmission line is 65.8 MW, which represents a fraction of the transmitted power.
mlsohani

Homework Statement

A high-voltage transmission line with a resistance of 0.345 ohms /km carries a current of 1.05 kA. The line is at a potential of 600 kV at the power station and carries the current to a city located 173 km from the power station.
A>What is the power loss due to resistance in the line?
B>What fraction of the transmitted power does this loss represent?

Homework Equations

P=IV
p=V^2(R)

The Attempt at a Solution

part A>I used the kilometers to figure out the resistance from the distance. I then tried pluging in the values into the equations but the answer is not working.

partB> In order to calculate the fraction I want to make sure I am setting hte first part of the equation correctly. But I assume that you subtract the power loss from the original power.

Physics news on Phys.org
your second equation is wrong, its P=(V^2)/R
maybe that might help?
also could you tell me the answer to see if i got it right =]
cheers

OK I keep getting it wrong

so I now tried: P=I^2*R

I did 0.345ohms/km * 173 km= 59.685

Then I did P=I^2*R to get> (1.05kA*1.05kA)*(59.685ohms)= 65.8 kW

BUT it keeps telling me I am WRONG! PLease help!

mlsohani said:
I did 0.345ohms/km * 173 km= 59.685

P = I² *R = (1.05kA*1.05kA)*(59.685ohms)= 65.8 kW

You might want to plug that into your calculator again :P

(1,05 * 10³)² * 0.345 * 173 = 65.8 MWIs that the correct answer? (sounds like a little too much to me but I don't know...)

1. What is power loss due to resistance?

Power loss due to resistance is the loss of electrical energy that occurs when current flows through a material with resistance. This loss of energy is converted into heat and can result in a decrease in the efficiency of a system.

2. How is power loss due to resistance calculated?

The power loss due to resistance can be calculated using the formula P = I²R, where P is power loss in watts, I is current in amps, and R is resistance in ohms. This formula is known as Joule's law.

3. What are the factors that affect power loss due to resistance?

The factors that affect power loss due to resistance include the material's resistance, the length of the material, the cross-sectional area of the material, and the temperature of the material. These factors can vary depending on the type of material and the environmental conditions.

4. How does power loss due to resistance affect electrical systems?

Power loss due to resistance can lead to a decrease in the efficiency of electrical systems, as it results in a decrease in the amount of usable energy. This can also cause heating in the system, which can lead to damage and malfunctions. In some cases, power loss due to resistance can also affect the accuracy of electrical measurements.

5. How can power loss due to resistance be reduced?

Power loss due to resistance can be reduced by using materials with lower resistance, increasing the cross-sectional area of the material, and reducing the length of the material. It is also important to keep the temperature of the material within a safe range to prevent an increase in resistance and power loss. Proper maintenance and regular inspections of electrical systems can also help reduce power loss due to resistance.