Calculating Celestial Coordinates

• Thread starter science.girl
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Coordinates
In summary, calculating celestial coordinates requires knowledge of spherical trigonometry. There are different methods that can be used for this task, and resources such as textbooks and online guides are available for those interested in learning more about the topic. Some recommended resources include "Spherical Astronomy" by Robin M. Green and "Astronomical Algorithms" by Jean Meeus. There are also open-source programs, such as Astrolabe, that can assist with calculating coordinates. Additionally, advancements in technology and mathematics have likely impacted the field of Spherical Astronomy since the 1700s, when it was first developed.
science.girl
I tried to find information on how to calculate celestial coordinates. Unfortunately, most of the information I was able to find described this topic from a conceptual standpoint.

I am assuming that this requires knowledge of spherical trigonometry, correct? Are there different methods one could employ to accomplish this task?

If you have done research in celestial mechanics, or could give advice on this topic, I would appreciate it.

Astronomy news on Phys.org
Wow. Smart's Spherical Astronomy is still top drawer - textbook wise? I have a copy of that from the 70's, I think. It is a very good book. But not application oriented.

Howto guides started IMO with Jan (or Jean) Meeus. Google for 'jan meeus'

Astronomical Formulae for Calculators (1988), 4th ed Enlarged and revised, Willmann-Bell Inc, ISBN 0-943396-22-0

Astronomical Algorithms (1998), 2nd ed, ISBN 0-943396-61-1

He also has a series of books 'Mathematical Astronomy Morsels'

A lot of canned opensource programs arose from Meeus work:
http://astrolabe.sourceforge.net/ Astrolabe uses python (PC or Linux). This will calculate coordinates for objects.

Last edited by a moderator:
jim mcnamara said:
Wow. Smart's Spherical Astronomy is still top drawer - textbook wise? I have a copy of that from the 70's, I
What's changed in Spherical Astronomy since the 1700s ?

Thanks for the links I didn't have any to hand.

mgb_phys said:
What's changed in Spherical Astronomy since the 1700s ?
Vectors.

1. What are celestial coordinates?

Celestial coordinates are a set of values used to locate objects in the sky. They act as a map for the celestial sphere, which is an imaginary sphere surrounding Earth, and are similar to latitude and longitude on Earth's surface.

2. How are celestial coordinates calculated?

Celestial coordinates are calculated using a system of right ascension and declination. Right ascension is measured in hours, minutes, and seconds, and is similar to longitude on Earth. Declination is measured in degrees and is similar to latitude on Earth. These coordinates are determined by the object's position relative to the celestial equator and the vernal equinox.

3. What is the purpose of calculating celestial coordinates?

The purpose of calculating celestial coordinates is to accurately locate and track objects in the sky. This is especially useful for astronomers and scientists studying celestial objects, as well as for navigation purposes.

4. What tools are needed to calculate celestial coordinates?

To calculate celestial coordinates, you will need a star chart or planetarium software, a telescope, and a basic understanding of astronomy and coordinate systems. Some advanced calculations may also require specialized software or instruments.

5. Are celestial coordinates the same for all locations on Earth?

No, celestial coordinates differ depending on the observer's location on Earth. This is due to the Earth's rotation and the curvature of the celestial sphere. Therefore, an object's coordinates will vary for observers in different locations on Earth.