Finding cartesian equation of plane from 3 points

In summary, to find the Cartesian equation of a plane containing three points, one can use the vector cross product method to determine the normal vector and then use the point-slope form to rearrange the equation into the standard form. The answer may differ in its coefficients, but it is still equivalent to the original equation. The reason for dividing by -2 in the given answer may be to simplify the equation and make the x coefficient positive, as is customary in writing equations.
username12345

Homework Statement

Find a Cartesian equation of the plane P containing A (2, 0, −3) , B(1, −1, 6) and C(5, 5, 0) , and determine if point D(3, 2, 3) lies on P.

Homework Equations

vector cross product
ax + by + cz = 0

The Attempt at a Solution

Take the cross product of AB and AC to get normal vector.

AB = -i -j + 9k
AC = 31 + 5j + 3k

I used the determinant method at got:
AB X AC = -48i + 30j -2k

Now as A, B and C lie on P, take a point say A(2, 0, -3)

-48(x - 2) +30(y) -2(z + 3) = 0

rearranging that gives:

-48x + 30y -2z = -90

Then putting in the x, y and z values for D the equation holds.

The question I have is that the answer for the plane given is:

24x − 15y + z = 45

Is there a more common method to follow to get this equation rather than the one I got?

Physics news on Phys.org
The answer is the same one you got. It's just been divided by (-2). That doesn't change the plane. E.g. the equation 9x=3 has exactly the same solutions as 3x=1, doesn't it?

Last edited:
Yes, but why divide by -2? My question was more, how would they get that answer instead? If I am calculating a different (but equivalent) answer then how?

Hi username12345! :smile:
username12345 said:
Yes, but why divide by -2?

Same reason as why we write 3/2 and not 6/4 or 21/14. :wink:

(and the minus because it's customary to start with x, so it makes sense for the x coefficient to be positive)

in other words, you do it in the simplest form, about the minus sign,don’t you think [guys] it’s because the many parts in the equation being negative, so we multiply it by the sign [-]?!

1. What is a cartesian equation of a plane?

A cartesian equation of a plane is an equation that describes the relationship between the x, y, and z coordinates of points on a plane. It is typically written in the form of Ax + By + Cz + D = 0, where A, B, and C are the coefficients and D is a constant. This equation can be used to determine the location of any point on the plane.

2. How do I find the cartesian equation of a plane from three points?

To find the cartesian equation of a plane from three points, you can use the formula (x-x1)(y-y2)-(y-y1)(x-x2)=(x-x1)(z-z3)-(z-z1)(x-x3)=(y-y1)(z-z2)-(z-z1)(y-y3)=0. This equation can be derived using the three points and solving for the coefficients A, B, C, and D.

3. Can I find the cartesian equation of a plane if I have more than three points?

Yes, you can find the cartesian equation of a plane using more than three points. However, it is important to note that three non-collinear points are sufficient to uniquely determine a plane. Additional points may help to verify the accuracy of the equation, but are not necessary for finding it.

4. Are there any other methods for finding the cartesian equation of a plane?

Yes, there are other methods for finding the cartesian equation of a plane. One method is using the normal vector of the plane and a point on the plane to write the equation in the form of (x-x0)nx + (y-y0)ny + (z-z0)nz = 0, where (nx, ny, nz) is the normal vector and (x0, y0, z0) is a point on the plane.

5. How can I use the cartesian equation of a plane in real-world applications?

The cartesian equation of a plane has many practical uses in fields such as engineering, physics, and computer graphics. It can be used to design and analyze structures, determine the trajectory of objects in motion, and create three-dimensional models of objects and environments in computer graphics. It is also used in navigation systems, robotics, and satellite imaging.