Graduate School Textbooks: How Much to Budget?

• Studying
  • Thread starter bh258
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Textbooks
In summary, graduate textbooks can be quite expensive, but it's also possible to find cheaper editions. If you shop around, you can usually find books that are just as good or better quality than what you would pay at the college bookstore.
bh258
how much are graduate textbooks

how much money did textbooks cost you in graduate school? Just in general I am not interested in an exact amount just in the general amount I would have to pay for each of them or all together, and I know each school requires different material.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Let me estimate 10 classes for an MS, each one requiring a textbook that costs $100 on average. $1K give or take? (Probably a little more than that, actually.)

10 classes for an MS? Plus you can always scam the textbooks from the library on the first day and not pay a cent.

TMFKAN64 said:
Let me estimate 10 classes for an MS, each one requiring a textbook that costs $100 on average. $1K give or take? (Probably a little more than that, actually.)

You sir, are out of your mind. I've been in grad school for almost an entire year now (six classes) and have spent a total of about $140 I think. All brand new, all hardcover. One of the books wasn't even for a class I was taking but just in a subject I wanted to know more about.

Topher925 said:
You sir, are out of your mind. I've been in grad school for almost an entire year now (six classes) and have spent a total of about $140 I think. All brand new, all hardcover. One of the books wasn't even for a class I was taking but just in a subject I wanted to know more about.

I've spent $120 or so on 2 classes for 2 books so far :( New, one hardcover (the expensive one).

maverick_starstrider said:
10 classes for an MS? Plus you can always scam the textbooks from the library on the first day and not pay a cent.

10 classes for an MS. At least where I went.

I like to keep my books though... admittedly, I could have shopped around and bought international editions for many classes for much less.

But yeah, out of my mind or not, about $1K.

Two words: term loans.

That's pretty much what the majority of students do here (Argentina). Not only physics students, I mean university students in general.
"We" scan books borrowed from the library so that we pay approximately 5 or 6 dollars a book of say 600 or 700 pages. Of course it's illegal and you shouldn't do this! An alternative of not spending that much money would be to spend a lot of your time in the University's library.

1. How much should I budget for graduate school textbooks?

The amount you should budget for graduate school textbooks can vary greatly depending on your program, the classes you are taking, and whether you choose to buy new or used textbooks. On average, students can expect to spend anywhere from $500 to $2,000 per year on textbooks.

2. Are there any ways to save money on graduate school textbooks?

Yes, there are several ways to save money on graduate school textbooks. You can try to buy used textbooks, rent textbooks, or look for online versions of your textbooks. You can also try to network with fellow students to borrow or share textbooks.

3. Do graduate school textbooks tend to be more expensive than undergraduate textbooks?

Yes, graduate school textbooks tend to be more expensive than undergraduate textbooks. This is because graduate level courses typically require more specialized and advanced materials, which can be more costly. Additionally, graduate courses often have smaller class sizes, so there are fewer used textbooks available.

4. Can I buy textbooks before starting graduate school?

It is not recommended to buy textbooks before starting graduate school. Course materials and required textbooks are typically announced by professors at the beginning of each semester, so it is best to wait until then to purchase your textbooks. This will ensure that you buy the correct editions and avoid buying unnecessary materials.

5. Are there any resources for free or discounted graduate school textbooks?

Yes, there are several resources available for free or discounted graduate school textbooks. Some universities have book exchange programs where students can buy or sell used textbooks to each other. You can also check online marketplaces, such as Amazon or Chegg, for used textbooks at a lower cost. Additionally, many public libraries have textbooks available for loan. Finally, some publishers may offer discounts or free access to electronic versions of textbooks for students.