Why Is My 2kW Fan Heater Only Using 0.7kW?

• Thread starter JaredJames
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Fan Heater
In summary, the conversation discusses a fan heater that is rated at 2kW but only uses 0.7kW when checked. The person is curious about why this is and shares a link to the fan. There is a discussion about the efficiency and voltage of the fan, with the possibility that the energy data was rounded off by the manufacturer. The conversation also mentions the limitations of residential circuits when it comes to high wattage heaters.
JaredJames
Hi,

I have a fan heater which is rated at 2kW but when we check what it is actually using (voltage x current) it is only using 0.7kW.

I am curious as to why this is?

This is the fan:
http://www.amazon.com/dp/B000306BL4/?tag=pfamazon01-20

Are these fans 100% efficient?

Thanks
Jared James

Engineering news on Phys.org
At what setting are you seeing 0.7kW? The specs says it will draw 2kW when set on high and the thermostat set above the ambient temperature.

If the voltage it is being run at is lower than the nominal voltage, that could explain it. Does it have a nameplate/sticker that says what voltage and amperage are nominal?

...they may have also rounded off their energy data. .7 rounds to 1. That's a pretty good possibility because you aren't allowed to make 2 kW heaters that run on regular residential wall power (in the US, anyway). A 2 kW heater would draw 16.7 A and residential circuits are 15 A.

1. Why is my 2kW fan heater only using 0.7kW?

There could be a few reasons for this. It's possible that the heater has a built-in safety feature that automatically adjusts the power output to prevent overheating. It could also be due to a faulty thermostat or a loose connection in the wiring. It's best to consult the manufacturer or a professional for further troubleshooting.

2. Will this affect the heating performance of my fan heater?

Yes, using less power means that the fan heater will produce less heat. However, it's important to note that the power output of a heater is not the only factor that determines its heating performance. Factors such as room size, insulation, and outside temperature also play a role.

3. Can I change the power output of my fan heater?

It depends on the specific model of your fan heater. Some models may have a power output adjustment feature, while others may not. If you're unsure, check the user manual or contact the manufacturer for more information.

4. Is it more energy-efficient to use a lower power output on my fan heater?

In general, yes. Using less power means that the heater will consume less energy and therefore save you money on your electricity bill. However, it's important to strike a balance between energy efficiency and adequate heating. Using too low of a power output may not provide enough heat to effectively warm up a room.

5. Is it safe to use a fan heater that is only using 0.7kW?

As long as the heater is functioning properly and there are no other underlying issues, it should be safe to use. However, if you notice any strange smells, noises, or malfunctions, it's best to stop using the heater and seek professional help.