Poisson equation general solution

In summary, the conversation discusses the solution to the Poisson equation and how it can be written in terms of electric potential. The given equation, \nabla2 1/r = -4\pi\delta3(r), is a boundary case that can be incorporated into the solution. Taking the Laplacian of the proposed solution allows one to show that it is indeed a solution to the Poisson equation.
yeahhyeahyeah

Homework Statement

Given that [tex]\nabla[/tex]2 1/r = -4[tex]\pi[/tex][tex]\delta[/tex]3(r)

show that the solution to the Poisson equation [tex]\nabla[/tex]2[tex]\Phi[/tex] = -([tex]\rho[/tex](r)/[tex]\epsilon[/tex])

can be written:

[tex]\Phi[/tex](r) = (1/4[tex]\pi[/tex][tex]\epsilon[/tex]) [tex]\int[/tex] d3r' ([tex]\rho[/tex](r') / |r - r'|)

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

I know that the Poisson equation is kind of like a partial differential equation. I rearranged it to [tex]\Phi[/tex]rr(r2) + [tex]\Phi[/tex]r(2r) = [-[tex]\rho[/tex](r) * r2 ] / [tex]\epsilon[/tex]

But that wasn't very helpful

Then I also realized that the equations for electric potential is a solution to this... but that is only a special case. Also, is gravitational potential also a solution, or no?

How do you solve this type of equation? What does the 'given': [tex]\nabla[/tex]2 1/r = -4[tex]\pi[/tex][tex]\delta[/tex]3(r)
even tell me? I am very lost. I read up about Poisson equations and I think the 'given' is like a boundary case... but I don't know how you incorporate the boundary case of a Poisson equation into a solution.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Just take the Laplacian of the proposed solution (Remember, you don't actually have to solve Poisson's equation to show that something is a solution of it)...what do you get?

1. What is the Poisson equation general solution?

The Poisson equation general solution is a mathematical formula that describes the relationship between a given function and its second derivative. It is commonly used in physics, specifically in electrostatics and the study of fluid dynamics.

2. What is the significance of the Poisson equation general solution?

The Poisson equation general solution is significant because it provides a fundamental understanding of the behavior of electric fields and fluid flow in various physical systems. It allows scientists to make predictions and solve complex problems in these areas.

3. How is the Poisson equation general solution derived?

The Poisson equation general solution is derived by using advanced mathematical techniques such as calculus and linear algebra. It involves solving a second-order partial differential equation, which can be challenging and requires a strong understanding of mathematical concepts.

4. Can the Poisson equation general solution be applied to real-world problems?

Yes, the Poisson equation general solution can be applied to real-world problems in physics and engineering. It is commonly used to study electrical potential and fluid flow in a variety of systems, such as electronic circuits, groundwater flow, and aerodynamics.

5. Are there any limitations to the Poisson equation general solution?

Like any mathematical model, the Poisson equation general solution has its limitations. It assumes that the underlying physical system is continuous and has no boundaries. It also does not take into account quantum effects or the behavior of particles at the atomic level.