How Long Must the Barge Be for a Safe Plane Landing?

In summary, the problem involves a 1000 kg plane trying to land on a 2000 kg barge at rest on calm water. The only force to consider is friction between the plane's wheels and the deck, which is constant and equal to one-quarter of the plane's weight. The minimum length of the barge needed for the plane to stop safely is 3.4*10^2 meters. The conservation of momentum formula is used to solve for the final speed of both the plane and the barge, with the assumption that they will end up moving at the same speed. The force of friction is found to be 2450 Newton.
musicfan31

A 1000 kg plane is trying to make a forced landing on the deck of a large 2000 kg barge at rest on the surface of a calm sea. The only frictional force to consider is between plane's wheels and the deck, and this braking force is constant and equal to one-quarter of the plane's weight. What must the minimum legnth of the barge be, in order that the plane can stop safely on the deck, if the plane touches down just at the rear end of the deck with a velocity of 50 m/s towards the front of the barge? (SIN.'76)

**PLEASE write out the full solution!**

Additional Details
The answer is 3.4*10^2 meters.

work = force applied * displacement

momentum = mass*velovity

m1v1 + m2v2 = m1v1' + m2v2'

Plane
m = 1000 kg
Vi = 50m/s
Vf = 0 m/s

Barge
m = 2000kg
Vi = 0 m/s

Force of friction = force of normal = mass*g

m1v1 + m2v2 = m1v1' +m2v2'

1000(50) + 2000(0) = 1000(0) + 2000v2'

1000(50)
________ = v2'

25 m/s = v2' = speed of barge in oppsite direction

** I DUNT EVEN NOE IF THE STUFF I DID ABOVE IS RIGHT*** BUT NOW I"M LOST**** HELP MEEE***

Physics news on Phys.org
musicfan31 said:
Force of friction = force of normal = mass*g
This isn't correct. Reread what the problem tells you about friction.

m1v1 + m2v2 = m1v1' +m2v2'

1000(50) + 2000(0) = 1000(0) + 2000v2'
The collision is inelastic--the plane and barge end up moving with the same speed. (The final speed of the plane isn't zero.)

Find the final speed of the barge and plane.

What's the acceleration of the plane? What distance does it take to bring it to its final speed?

What's the acceleration of the barge? What distance does it move during its acceleration?

I have no clue as to what you are speaking of... the final speed of the plane is not Zero?

Then what is the number that needs to be subbed in as final velocity of the plane.?

Last edited:
musicfan31 said:
I have no clue as to what you are speaking of... the final speed of the plane is not Zero?
That's right. The plane ends up moving at the same speed as the barge. (It better, or it will just fall off the barge!) Use momentum conservation to find the final speed of barge and plane.
Here is a solution but I can't make any sense of this you can help me figure this out.
That solution is precisely the one I'm trying to get you to figure out for yourself.

okay the Ff = 1/4M*g
= 1/4(1000)*9.8
= 250*9.8
= 2450 Newton is the force of friction

Last edited:
The conservation of momentum formula is :

m1v1 + m2v2 = m1v1' + m2v2'

I go it ! I GOT IT!
Thank YOU DOC AL

I'm still stuck. Can you give more help?

1. What topics are covered in Grade 12 Physics?

Grade 12 Physics typically covers topics such as mechanics, electricity and magnetism, waves and optics, and modern physics. These topics may vary depending on the specific curriculum and school.

2. How can I prepare for Grade 12 Physics exams?

To prepare for Grade 12 Physics exams, it is important to review class notes, practice solving problems, and use study guides or textbooks. It may also be helpful to work with a tutor or join a study group.

3. Are there any online resources available for Grade 12 Physics?

Yes, there are many online resources available for Grade 12 Physics. Some examples include Khan Academy, Physics Classroom, and HyperPhysics. These resources offer videos, practice problems, and explanations to help students better understand the concepts.

4. Is it necessary to have a strong math background for Grade 12 Physics?

While a strong math background is not required, it can be beneficial for understanding some of the more complex concepts in Grade 12 Physics. Basic algebra and trigonometry skills are often used in physics calculations.

5. What career opportunities are available for those with a background in Grade 12 Physics?

A background in Grade 12 Physics can lead to various career opportunities in fields such as engineering, research and development, data analysis, and teaching. It can also provide a strong foundation for further studies in physics or related fields.