Calculating the Period of a Pendulum with Varying Acceleration

In summary, the problem involves finding the period of a simple pendulum when it is accelerated downwards by 0.59 g. By using the equation T=2π√(L/g), the acceleration due to gravity is subtracted from the total acceleration felt by the pendulum. This results in a decrease in the period of the pendulum.
maccha

Homework Statement

A simple pendulum has a period T. What is the period if the entire pendulum oscillates 0.59 g downwards? (give answer as a ratio of Tnew/T)

Homework Equations

T=2[tex]\pi[/tex]([tex]\sqrt{L/g}[/tex]

The Attempt at a Solution

I'm so confused about this problem. I actually got the answer in the textbook by putting in (9.8-0.59g) for the new acceleration but I really don't understand why.. it was just trial and error. I don't understand why you can just plug in 0.59g for the new acceleration- isn't this the net acceleration anyways? Would subtracting it result in a net acceleration of 0.41g?

Physics news on Phys.org
the entire pendulum oscillates 0.59 g downwards
Could that be "accelerates" instead of "oscillates"?
If so, it simply reduces the acceleration due to gravity felt by the pendulum. Like riding in an elevator accelerating downward.

Yes, accelerates, sorry my mistake. Okay thank you that helps, but I'm still confused as to why though you can't just use 0.59 g if that is what it is accelerating at?

On an elevator standing still your weight would be mg or 9.81*m.
If the elevator was accelerating downward at 1 m/s², you would feel a bit lighter: (9.81 - 1)*m. The acceleration takes away from the regular gravity. On a spacecraft falling at 9.81 m/s² you would feel weightless. The pendulum period is a measure of this remaining gravity.

Ohh okay I was approaching the problem completely wrong.. I didn't realize it said the entire pendulum is accelerated downwards. Thanks for the help!

1. What is an oscillating pendulum?

An oscillating pendulum is a simple mechanical system consisting of a mass attached to a fixed point by a string or rod. The mass is free to swing back and forth, creating a repetitive motion known as oscillation.

2. What factors affect the oscillation of a pendulum?

The factors that affect the oscillation of a pendulum include the length of the string or rod, the mass of the pendulum, and the gravitational force acting on the pendulum. Other factors that can influence the oscillation include air resistance, friction, and the initial displacement of the pendulum.

3. What is the formula for the period of an oscillating pendulum?

The formula for the period of an oscillating pendulum is T = 2π√(L/g), where T is the period in seconds, L is the length of the pendulum in meters, and g is the acceleration due to gravity in meters per second squared.

4. How does changing the length of a pendulum affect its period?

According to the formula for the period of an oscillating pendulum, the period is directly proportional to the square root of the length. This means that as the length of the pendulum increases, the period also increases, and vice versa.

5. How does the oscillation of a pendulum relate to the concept of energy conservation?

The oscillation of a pendulum demonstrates the principle of energy conservation. As the pendulum swings back and forth, it constantly exchanges potential and kinetic energy, with the total energy remaining constant. This is because the force of gravity acting on the mass of the pendulum is a conservative force, meaning it does not dissipate energy.