Faster than light time travel through controlled, spatial distortion

In summary, there has been a theory proposed that suggests faster-than-light time travel is possible by creating a bubble of space-time around a spacecraft using tachyons. This idea is based on a loophole in Einstein's theory of light speed travel. However, some people do not believe this theory is possible due to the uncertainty of tachyons and their interaction with normal matter. It has also been pointed out that this concept is not new and has been explored in the past, but it still remains a popular topic for debate in the scientific community. Some argue that these ideas have important implications for cosmology and astronomy, while others view them as purely hypothetical and not worth pursuing. Regardless, this topic has been banned in some forums due to
Lamented_Soul
I have recently heard of a theory that states that faster than light time travel is possible by disrupting the fabric of space-time using tachyons, to create a makeshift wave behind a future spacecraft of some sort. It states that by doing this, one creates a bubble around the spacecraft . And inside that bubble, speeds are way below 180,000 Mp/s., but outside the bubble, speeds are much higher than 180,000Mp/s. It's kind of a loophole in Einstein's theory about light speed travel. Thoughts on this idea? I personally don't think it's possible. One reason is that, if tachyons are real, I don't think there's any way for us (Made of Normal Matter) to interact with Faster than Light particles.

Oh, btw, I'm new here. Hi everyone. :smile:

Physics news on Phys.org
Well being as we don't know that Tachyons exist, I doubt that we are really into applying their properties in the realm of engineering just as of yet.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tachyons"

Last edited by a moderator:
Pattonias said:
Well being as we don't know that Tachyons exist, I doubt that we are really into the realm of applying there properties in the realm of engineering just as of yet.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tachyons"
One would think that right? But apparently, there are already theories on how to apply them, based on we know about normal particle structure. I don't really understand why this has been even considered, seeing that it's just an assumption about the unknown. :confused:

Last edited by a moderator:
I imagine that it is just a tool for hypothetical ideas and science fiction. Who knows? Maybe one day it will stop being science fiction. So many other things have. My phone is cooler than Captain Kirk's.

Pattonias said:
I imagine that it is just a tool for hypothetical ideas and science fiction. Who knows? Maybe one day it will stop being science fiction. So many other things have. My phone is cooler than Captain Kirk's.

Yeah, maybe. I think that science in general is becoming a little too liberal. All this nonsense, and crazy ideas made up by people who want to be noticed in the scientific community, is distracting people like me from learning the "Facts". I'm only 17, and I'm having a hard time sorting fact from science fiction. I usually discourage conservative thinking, but I'm beginning to believe that it's the only thing that's going to set the scientific community straight for a better learning environment for rising Physisists, and Mathmeticians.

You should read some of the old pulp fiction from the 1920's and 30's. Or even check out some of the fiction from the 50's and 60's. Those guys came out with some pretty wild stuff that would be considered totally outlandish by today's standards. Pay attention to the guys in PF forums. They are really good at explaining real science.

My phone is cooler than Captain Kirk's.
I've stopped calling them phones. They're computers with a telephone feature.
They're as much phones as my computer is a Solitaire machine.

Lamented_Soul said:
It's kind of a loophole in Einstein's theory about light speed travel.

"Loopholes" of this kind have been known for a very long time. If I remembmer correctly the first person to consider methods for "folding" spacetime was Gödel, only a couple of years after GR was first published. Einstein himself was involved in some of the work (he and Gödel were friends).

Anyway, this is definately "exotic" physics but done right it is can still be serious science; simply because it touches upon some very fundamental questions in physics, the "nature of time", quantum gravity etc.
Papers on what is in effect mechanisms that would allow FTL and perhaps even time-machines (although they are usually not called that) are published on a pretty regular basis in peer-reviews journals; not because someone is actually planning to build one (even "optimistic" theories tells us that it would require an absolutely enormous amount of energy to bend space time that much) but because question such as whether or not e.g."white holes" (and therefore wormholes that would in principle allow FTL travel) exist/are stable are quite important in cosmology and astronomy in general.

Also, why is this thread in the "scepticism and Debunking" forum?

Lamented_Soul said:
I have recently heard of a theory that states that faster than light time travel is possible by disrupting the fabric of space-time using tachyons, to create a makeshift wave behind a future spacecraft of some sort. It states that by doing this, one creates a bubble around the spacecraft . And inside that bubble, speeds are way below 180,000 Mp/s., but outside the bubble, speeds are much higher than 180,000Mp/s. It's kind of a loophole in Einstein's theory about light speed travel. Thoughts on this idea? I personally don't think it's possible. One reason is that, if tachyons are real, I don't think there's any way for us (Made of Normal Matter) to interact with Faster than Light particles.

Sounds like a scrambled version of the Alcubierre warp-metric, which is a way of traveling FTL via a bubble of space-time, the borders of which contract space-time in the direction of travel then re-expand it in the opposite direction. No tachyons are involved and they don't distort space-time anyway.

Oh, btw, I'm new here. Hi everyone. :smile:

Howdy! We're pretty friendly but dislike dogmatic restatements of old ideas that have been debunked countless times - thus the banned topics file.

qraal said:
Sounds like a scrambled version of the Alcubierre warp-metric, which is a way of traveling FTL via a bubble of space-time, the borders of which contract space-time in the direction of travel then re-expand it in the opposite direction. No tachyons are involved and they don't distort space-time anyway.
Well, I don't get how you can make that statement considering we don't know if tachyons exist. But thanks for the clarification regardless.

qraal said:
Howdy! We're pretty friendly but dislike dogmatic restatements of old ideas that have been debunked countless times - thus the banned topics file.
Lol, well, I'm still getting the hang of this forum, so, just bear with me please.

Lamented_Soul said:
Well, I don't get how you can make that statement considering we don't know if tachyons exist. But thanks for the clarification regardless.

Well you can define some of the properties of tachyons before you can observe them - else how will you know when you see one? Tachyons don't distort space-time any more than other particles - i.e. individually only a tiny, tiny bit. They're not magical "space-time distorters" like some imaginary particle on "Star Trek" (eg. tetrions.)

Lol, well, I'm still getting the hang of this forum, so, just bear with me please.

Me too! Some topics are just verboten, which I keep discovering the hard way.

qraal said:
Well you can define some of the properties of tachyons before you can observe them - else how will you know when you see one? Tachyons don't distort space-time any more than other particles - i.e. individually only a tiny, tiny bit. They're not magical "space-time distorters" like some imaginary particle on "Star Trek" (eg. tetrions.)
Some theories state that tachyons are most likely the actual fabric of space. Their properties are FTL. And by general physics' laws, the only thing moving faster than 180,000Mp/s, is the expansion of existence itself. And because they are the only FTL particle in the universe, they do not interact with any other forms of matter (Dark or otherwise). Now, I don't agree with this theory at all, but I think it's funny how Physisists make up these laws and properties that defy pretty much all of modern physics about something that possibly doesn't exist. And it's worth speculating, possible or not.

1. How does faster than light time travel through controlled, spatial distortion work?

Faster than light time travel through controlled, spatial distortion involves manipulating the fabric of space-time to create a "bubble" or distortion that can move faster than the speed of light. This can be achieved through the use of advanced technology or through the manipulation of gravitational fields.

2. Is faster than light time travel through controlled, spatial distortion possible?

Currently, there is no evidence to suggest that faster than light time travel through controlled, spatial distortion is possible. While some theories allow for the concept of faster than light travel, there are currently no known methods for controlling and manipulating the fabric of space-time in this way.

3. What are the potential consequences of faster than light time travel through controlled, spatial distortion?

The consequences of faster than light time travel through controlled, spatial distortion are largely unknown. However, it is theorized that it could have significant impacts on the laws of physics and causality, potentially leading to paradoxes and altering the course of history.

4. Are there any ethical concerns with faster than light time travel through controlled, spatial distortion?

As with any advanced technology, there are ethical concerns surrounding faster than light time travel through controlled, spatial distortion. These may include the potential for altering the course of history or causing harm to individuals or entire civilizations.

5. How does faster than light time travel through controlled, spatial distortion differ from other forms of time travel?

Faster than light time travel through controlled, spatial distortion differs from other forms of time travel in that it involves manipulating the fabric of space-time rather than simply traveling through it. This can potentially allow for faster and more precise movement through time and space.