Does a good General GRE score help at all?

In summary: Doesn't a 670 verbal correspond to a percentile in the 90's?Yes. A 670 verbal corresponds to a percentile in the 90's.
Matterwave
Science Advisor
Gold Member
So, I'm applying to graduate school in physics, and my GRE physics score wasn't ideal (not a complete failure, but not ideal), anyways would a good general GRE score help counteract that at all? Or will physics schools only look for good Physics scores and generally not care about the verbal GRE score (I know they do care about the Quant)?

Also, I'm applying to specialize in Astrophysics/cosmology, is that a relatively rare field and will that also help my chances?

I ponder this because I would like to know if I have a high chance of being rejected from the schools I am applying to and would therefore have to take the GRE physics again to apply next year...which means I need to get studying soon >_>

Physics news on Phys.org
No one really cares about your general GRE score. If it's too low, it might hurt, but a great score really won't really help. The subject GRE is much more important.

P.S. - If anything, I'd say the verbal is more important than the quantitative, if only because virtually everyone going to graduate school in the sciences and engineering has very close to 800... there is no useful information in that score for the majority of applicants.

Well, I did pretty well on both so i was hoping it'd help my application a bit heh...

TMFKAN64 said:
No one really cares about your general GRE score. If it's too low, it might hurt, but a great score really won't really help. The subject GRE is much more important.

P.S. - If anything, I'd say the verbal is more important than the quantitative, if only because virtually everyone going to graduate school in the sciences and engineering has very close to 800... there is no useful information in that score for the majority of applicants.

Verbal does not matter. I got in with 670, many people from foreign countries get in with much less.

Well, guess I better get to studying hehe

hamster143 said:
Verbal does not matter. I got in with 670, many people from foreign countries get in with much less.

Doesn't a 670 verbal correspond to a percentile in the 90's?

1. What is considered a good General GRE score?

A good General GRE score can vary depending on the programs and schools you are applying to. However, on average, a score above 300 is considered competitive.

2. How important is a good General GRE score in the admissions process?

The importance of a good General GRE score in the admissions process can vary depending on the program and school. Some may place a heavier emphasis on GRE scores, while others may consider it as just one aspect of the application. It is best to research the specific program and school to understand their evaluation criteria.

3. Can a good General GRE score compensate for a low undergraduate GPA?

A good General GRE score can help strengthen your application, but it may not necessarily compensate for a low undergraduate GPA. Admissions committees typically consider a combination of factors, including GPA, GRE scores, letters of recommendation, and personal statements. A strong GRE score can demonstrate your academic abilities and help offset a lower GPA, but it is not a guarantee.

4. Do all graduate programs require a good General GRE score?

No, not all graduate programs require a General GRE score. Some programs may have their own specific entrance exams or may not require any standardized test scores at all. It is important to research the specific requirements of the programs you are interested in to determine if a General GRE score is necessary.

5. How can I improve my General GRE score?

There are several ways to improve your General GRE score, including studying and familiarizing yourself with the test format and content, practicing with sample questions and exams, and seeking out resources such as prep courses or tutors. It is also important to manage your time and stress levels effectively during the test. With dedication and preparation, you can work towards improving your score.